RAF Cottesmore TTTE Tornado GR1 ZA355 from the Revell Luftwaffe 2014 ECR tigermeet kit by a complete novice..

2 hours ago, nikkita katana said:

These happen to be in the kit. For future reference what aircraft would they be fitted on?

PSX_20171201_144209

And I'm guessing these are the 27mm guns as there's a pair of them (no mention of these in the build instructions, seems the german one has blank panels fitted instead).

PSX_20171201_144129

And as I've not found a single photo anywhere of za355 with a refuelling pod should I leave the fuselage blank?

PSX_20171201_144251

And finally, this lot is also listed in the "do not use" parts on the instructions.

If anyone can identitify again for future reference than that might be useful please :)

PSX_20171201_144040

Top picture, outboard and inboard pylons only used on GR Tornado, 3rd pic, again GR only, refuelling probe, stowed and deployed versions and finally pic 4 shoulder and centreline pylons, GR specific again.  The fuel tank looks like a 1500L but is the other a buddy buddy refuelling pod.  Looks like you will have a lot of spares for your next Tornado build, Nikkita!

24 minutes ago, HomerJ_757 said:

Looks like you will have a lot of spares for your next Tornado build, Nikkita!

Thank you so much.

Although I wasn't planning on another 32 scale Tornado anywhere in the near future :D

It is fair to assume Revell have used their older gr1 kit as the starting point and just swapped the decals and added a little sprue of extra ECR bits?

Other bits on the build instructions include an ECM pod, BOZ 101, AGM-88 and a couple of sidewinders.

Thank you to everyone so far for all the advice and techy info, very much appreciated :)

So here's where the front bit is up to. The nose piece itself seems to have a two part curvature. Was the ECR one slightly bulged for electronics?

And should I attempt to smooth it off a bit?

PSX_20171204_220439

PSX_20171205_005003

(the all over grey is temporary btw, just helps me see where I was smoothing around the joins)

This unfortunate incident did crop up though .......

One little broken lug leading to one not so stable stabiliser.

Surely it wouldn't have hurt them to make them a bit more substantial in the first place?

Anyway, material to make a new bar purchased and tapered ends filed away to give a slightly larger diameter pivoting point.

PSX_20171204_222004

The original bar across them had loose joints at the ends but i've decided to try the whole thing as a kind of "one piece" construction with a few drops of superglue in the slots I filed out in the stabilisers.

It now seems much more stable. And far less likely to break again :)

And looks like this......

PSX_20171205_021700

• Like 3

Tried a bit of a wash on the landing gear.

Not sure if it turned out well but definitely "dirtier" :D

PSX_20171207_173213

And finally got round to tackling some spraying on the exhausts.

PSX_20171207_173317PSX_20171207_173553

Quite happy with how these have turned out for my first go.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, nikkita katana said:

Tried a bit of a wash on the landing gear.

Not sure if it turned out well but definitely "dirtier" :D

PSX_20171207_173213

26908727299_da61375234_b.jpg

Tornado-0111.JPG

from

the wash helps a lot compared to the original.

The exhausts look good to me,

GJ-Tornado-013.JPG

38865802732_90aeacb584_b.jpg

some drybrushing with a steel colour may help?

Others will know more,  but the walkround pics  in the link may  help. 

HTH

T

• Like 1

If you did one of the black specials from the TTTE I think decals were available from somewhere in 1/72; find them and scale them up on a colour photocopier onto plain decal sheet. I've done it a few times and it works ok.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, CurrantBunbury said:

Which paint(s) have you used, as a matter of interest?

All Tamiya acrylics.

Mixture of Chrome Silver, semi-gloss black and flat black. Mostly airbrushed.

8 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

some drybrushing with a steel colour may help?

Did have a look for some Metalcote Steel-ish colours down the model shop yesterday but they were out of stock. :(

Revell instructions can be like that.

Nice work on recovering the tailerons.

That is a weak point on pretty much every Tonka model I've seen.

I used to fit a plastic tube (lolly stick!) with a metal rod inside it.

The gear looks good, they were kept fairly clean.

I didn't get back to you about the nose gear.

If you look on the link in the post above you will see that there is only

a torque link on the front of the nose gear. So you need to remove

the rear one for a 'single stick' Tornado.  (Yes, the triangular bits).

The exhaust looks good too. Because of the reverse thrust system

the back end and tail of Tonka's was generally pretty dirty.

You will see plenty of pictures online if you look.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

Yes the rear bit got removed, paintwork ended up a little dirtier on that one though.

Does anyone else ever feel this is slightly surreal when you're building a model and getting advice from people who worked with the actual planes??

:)

It's why I love this site.

It's great to be able to pass on that knowledge.

And I in turn learn a lot on here too.

We've lost so many of the technicians that served before us,

before they could pass on their memories of the machines they worked on.

• Like 3

Nikita, my apologies.  I never realised that TTTE Tornados didn't have LRMTS and the penny certainly didn't drop that they didn't have the pylons installed.  I suppose that, had I thought about it, training for the delivery of weapons fell to the Tornado Weapons Conversion Unit so why bother with that aspect at TTTE.  

Your model is definitely beginning to look the part, and another "good save" on the tailerons.

• Like 1

In 88-89 we had a couple of uk jets with LMRTS farings fitted No guns tho.  I think these were the GR1A's the Recci version.

B54 didn't she crash in Cumbria early 88? no it was B52. No pylons or IFR probes fitted to TTTE Jets.

A note of interest if the tail number ie I40, G28 or B02  is below 50 its a trainer  above 51 then it was a strike aircraft pilot nav config.

• Like 2

Basically the reasoning behind this particular aircraft was a progression once I started researching where tornados based close to north northants in the early '80's. ZA355 happens to be listed for sale on Jet Art Aviation although they have the original tail no. down as B-55 whereas every other bit of info I found says she was b-54.

Some of the cockpit was guesswork cos I'd imagine lots of instruments have been removed plus the fact the decals were a bit on the sparse side for exactly what I wanted. Hopefully I've finished up somewhere close. :)

Anyway....

Going back to her for sale listing.....

If anyone can confirm the b-54  before I get round to spraying the final details on the fin that would be very much appreciated.

On 12/8/2017 at 04:30, tweeky said:

In 88-89 we had a couple of uk jets with LMRTS farings fitted No guns tho. 

On the subject of guns I thought that since  no heavy duty hardware was going underneath perhaps it might be an idea to fit a pair of 27mm's that looked a bit more like proper guns than the tiny bits of plastic that came in the kit.

I did attempt to drill the centre of those out to make room for a little piece of barrel but that all went completely wrong.

So, here's something I tried earlier with a couple of bits of aluminium tubing. Originally 3mm  & 2mm external diameters but filed down quite a lot.

Have taken a sizeable chunk of artistic licence with the muzzle cos my file set is way too big for this job and the best magnification I have to work with for now is +3.5 reading glasses. I did buy some Alclad metal lacquers the other day so the finish will be jet exhaust and white aluminium.

If only I could look through the macro lens while I was working on them!!!! :D

PSX_20171212_235823PSX_20171212_235924

• Like 3

After a couple of days of mostly just looking at little bits of ally tube deciding what to do next, and lots of stabbing fingers with tiny drill bits, this happened late last night.

Managed to destroy one by superglueing it to some tools but it wasn't the best of the pair anyway so worked out a good excuse to make a better one for the other side.

In hindsight, this might have been a lot easier if I'd thought of it before putting the 2 halves of front fuselage together, or at the very least before the nose went on.

PSX_20171214_171726

PSX_20171214_171906

Maybe not entirely accurate but almost quite good fun to make.

Got this seriously daft idea in my head now involving brake flaps and little jewelry box hinges!! :D

• Like 3