1/76 Sherman Firefly

TEMPESTMK5

Good evening

I will take part in this Gb with the Revell rebox of Matchbox PK17 Sherman Firefly ,  I had built the original Matcbox boxing in the mid 70's https://www.scalemates.com/kits/130337-matchbox-pk-71-sherman-firefly and I will try to do better this time

The box art of the Revell rebox

855041001.jpg

The parts are molded in green on 2 sprues

281558002.jpg

The building instructions and small decals sheet

485244004.jpg

735305003.jpg

Patrice

Edited by TEMPESTMK5
  • Like 6

Good luck Patrice,....it is a cracking little kit. Most Fireflies didn`t have the sand skirts fitted so it might be worth checking some references if this bothers you,....they are quite easy to remove and using plastic card to blank off the hull area above the tracks is well worth the effort,....especially if you remove the sand skirts. Here is one that I did,...adding a bit of netting scrim for camouflage, but I wish that I had taken far more care with the moulded on tools;

Firefly IC-Matchbox

Good luck,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 7

Slow but sure, they are all getting built for the GB. Happy days!

This one has always been a favourite  of mine. I suspect the bridge diorama bit has a lot to do with this.

I'm looking forward to seeing your take on the kit.

Tony.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, tonyot said:

Good luck Patrice,....it is a cracking little kit. Most Fireflies didn`t have the sand skirts fitted so it might be worth checking some references if this bothers you,....they are quite easy to remove and using plastic card to blank off the hull area above the tracks is well worth the effort,....especially if you remove the sand skirts. Here is one that I did,...adding a bit of netting scrim for camouflage, but I wish that I had taken far more care with the moulded on tools;

Firefly IC-Matchbox

Good luck,

Tony

Good morning Tony

Thanks for sharing your very nice Sherman with us ..

I must admit that being more interested in aircraft models  I am lacking information on the subject of AFV models I will make some researches in order to improve the kit as you did .. I would like to add that I prefer to build a Sherman for this Gb ...

Best regards

Patrice  

• Like 1

Salut Patrice,

this is indeed a change of direction as far as you are concerned!

I never thought I'd see the day when you plan to build armored vehicles! I have built exactly two 1/72 Esci tanks in my life and I really enjoyed the experience, so why not?

Have a lot of fun!

JR

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jean said:

Salut Patrice,

this is indeed a change of direction as far as you are concerned!

I never thought I'd see the day when you plan to build armored vehicles! I have built exactly two 1/72 Esci tanks in my life and I really enjoyed the experience, so why not?

Have a lot of fun!

JR

Bonjour

I wanted to take part in this Gb anyway and I must admit that I tned to prefer the Matchbox AFV to the aircraft ,  it will also remind me when I was a kid building these little armored vehicles (I had built  all the Matchbox AFV models  ..) .

Best regards

Patrice

• Like 2

Good evening

Yestarday I finally started to work on this build I painted some parts (sorry I don't know the names even  in French ) and today I glued them

2207310022.jpg  

I also succeeded in removing the sand skirts following the example of Tony ( thank you very much Tony )

1656210032.jpg

Patrice

• Like 4

Looking forward to this one completed.  Always liked the Firefly (not just the FAA plane :D) as it has that big gun barrel.  If you look at tony's model, the front part of the barrel is painted slightly different to the rest.  This was an attempt to fool the enemy into thinking it was a "regular" Sherman with the shorter barrel.

3 hours ago, Knight_Flyer said:

Looking forward to this one completed.  Always liked the Firefly (not just the FAA plane :D) as it has that big gun barrel.  If you look at tony's model, the front part of the barrel is painted slightly different to the rest.  This was an attempt to fool the enemy into thinking it was a "regular" Sherman with the shorter barrel.

Good evening Knight Flyer

Thank you for the info .:yes:.

This Week end I made some progress 

I prepared the dio

981026Diorama.jpg

I placed the tracks
 787071Chenilles.jpg

I also placed the gun in the turret  (the turret is not glued yet on this  photo )
693834Tourelle.jpg

Patrice

• Like 5

On 10/12/2017 at 15:13, Knight_Flyer said:

Good morning  Knight Flyer

I tried to paint the lower front part of the barrel in a diferent colour but it is hardly visible on the pics ..

Patrice

Great job Patrice!

In keeping with the traditions of 70s historically-inaccurate-but-spectacular box art, the Coldstreams didn't have to fight their way over the Normandy beaches, arriving much later.  But they did fight in your back yard of course, Cagny to Flers, but being slow and making 11th Armoured do most of the work.  They also fought during Operation Goodwood over toward Troarn.  I visited these battlefields in 2016, tough country to fight in with tanks.

One of these would have been a good burden for my M-19, perhaps.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Peter Lloyd said:

Great job Patrice!

In keeping with the traditions of 70s historically-inaccurate-but-spectacular box art, the Coldstreams didn't have to fight their way over the Normandy beaches, arriving much later.  But they did fight in your back yard of course, Cagny to Flers, but being slow and making 11th Armoured do most of the work.  They also fought during Operation Goodwood over toward Troarn.  I visited these battlefields in 2016, tough country to fight in with tanks.

One of these would have been a good burden for my M-19, perhaps.

Good afternoon Peter

Thank you for your comment I usually try to make historical researches for my builds but I must admit that this time I relied on the notice but as you say that the Coldstream did fight during the Normandy campaign my tittle is not so wrong  ..

As you visited the Normandy battlefields I can confirm you that back in june 1944 it was a very tough country in those days there were more  little roads

, hedges Etc ..

Best regards

Patrice

• Like 1