1/72 USN 80' Elco PT Boat with some mods

JohnWS

This has got it all in bucketloads 

Great build to follow and learn from. 👍🏻

You can get your self that drink now you deserve it   

Beefy 

• Thanks 1

I was sitting watching a baseball game on TV this afternoon and did a little doodling on the computer.  Here's the result ...

46728713944_2cda2924e3_b.jpg

I don't think I could build a model seascape as well a many here on BM.  So Photoshop and virtual water will have to do.

BTW, my team beat the NY Yankees 7 to 3.  Not a bad afternoon. :winkgrin:

John

• Like 7

Hello again.

I've started working on the crew for the PT Boat.

You may recall I ordered a set of 3D printed sailors.

46360232552_72d80ca29d_b.jpg

46360236532_5c9c7839de_b.jpg

I was hoping that all that I needed to do was paint the figures.  As I started to pick the crew members for the various positions on the deck, I found the figures poses were just not right for what I had envisioned.  I really like the detail of the 3D printed figures, so I've decided to play doctor and do a little surgery to transplant heads, arms, hands, legs & feet as needed.

I've completed two of the figures for the 37mm & Oerlikon guns, modifying them for positioning behind the guns.  I was concerned that the 3D printed material wouldn't survive being under the knife.  But, by using a new sharp X-acto knife blade and CA glue I think the surgery was a success.  So far, so good.

Here's a photo;

47420932502_1049bc40fa_b.jpg

Next, I need to resize the two 50 cal. MG gunners to fit in the turrets, and reshape the two Bofors gunners to fit in the PE seats,  What I thought would be a relatively easy task to complete the crew has turned into a small project.

Thanks for checking in.

John

• Like 6

John

Just come back from a trip to find these pics - They look hugely realistic and Fab as does the whole model.

The Figures look great, I always admire your preciseness - evident here as so often throughout the rest of the build

Spectacular!!

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

Another milestone in this build.  The PT Boat crew painting is complete.

47549739801_a1a436b572_b.jpg

I  found that the 3D printed crewmen were too thick to properly fit in the 50 cal. MG turrets, so I signed up two crewmen from the Revell PT 109 kit.  They had to be modified a little as well.  You'll note the lack of detail of the kit figures compared to the 3D printed parts.  This isn't an issue as most of the Revell figures will be hidden in the gun turret.

47549743231_b5fa4b8845_b.jpg

When I was researching the paint colours I learned a lot about the Kapok life jackets worn by the USN sailors during WWII, as shown below,

40583788643_ace6077114_m.jpg

First, I found that the colour of the life jackets seem to vary between blue & grey.  It appears that there were a number of life jacket manufacturers and the dye colours varied between manufacturers.  Also, as the jackets were exposed to the elements the colours tended to fade from blue to grey.  Since my model depicts a late war boat, I decided to paint the crew's life jackets a (faded) grey colour with a bluish tint to show they were well worn.

Another thing I found interesting was the materials used to make these life jackets.  I've aways felt the USN life jackets looked bulky and were probably very uncomfortable and limited movement for the wearer.  For those interested, here's a description of the flotation materials used to manufacture the Kapok jackets - "Natural materials were first used to create floatation devices. ... A material called kapok was used as the fill material in life vests. Kapok is a vegetable fiber found in tropical tree pods, resembling milkweed. The waxy coating which covers the kapok fiber provided the necessary buoyancy. The kapok fiber was sealed in vinyl plastic packets to prevent exposure to the water. One problem with the vinyl-sealed kapok fiber life jacket was that the packets could be punctured, causing the jacket to lose its buoyancy. Kapok is now prohibited for use in life preservers in most of Europe and in Canada."  http://www.madehow.com/Volume-2/Life-Vest.html#ixzz5kKpRWdH8

Next up, I'll add the crew to their stations on the model, and that should pretty well complete this build.:yahoo:  I'll add photos of the completed boat in my next post.

Thanks for looking.

John

Edited by JohnWS
  • Like 8

19 minutes ago, Courageous said:

... A bit a of a double edged sword with the life jacket colour; good camouflage when on boat, not so good when you want to be found in the water! ...

I was thinking the same.  You would want a nice bright colour if you need to be rescued, but not so much if you're being shot at. :hmmm:

John

• Like 1

Really lovely figures John, and your surgery worked out well. I also like the photo shopping you've done ( it illustrates how exciting baseball is , the ideal sport for an industrious nation 🙂).

Regards,

Arjan

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Arjan said:

... I also like the photo shopping you've done ( it illustrates how exciting baseball is , the ideal sport for an industrious nation 🙂). ...

I'm afraid I'm not a very good baseball fan, starting with the first game I ever attended.  I fell asleep half way through the game. :sleep_1:   :D

• Haha 2

Well guess what?  She's FINISHED!!!!!!!! :yahoo:

The crew's been added.  It's been a fun build & I really appreciate the comments & support that many of you have provided over the last 17 months.

Here's a few photos showing the crew on the boat.  I made a couple of sets of 40mm ammunition for the loaders to carry.   I also decided to not glue the guns & rocket launchers in place & glued the crew figures to the guns & rocket launcher so that they will move when the guns & launchers are rotated.

32623268867_479fd46060_b.jpg

40599776983_9aff2c9246_b.jpg

46650431365_89fa1b10b9_b.jpg

40599863133_9c61bae4ab_b.jpg

40599780553_d9b9d6a3ab_b.jpg

47512831382_89ff2bd93f_b.jpg

47565779231_95c473618e_b.jpg

47565787771_f4c89fde00_b.jpg

I still need to take  a few additional photos and post the completed model in the Ready for Inspection section to wrap up this build.

Thanks again everyone!

John

Addendum:  Ready for Inspection photos can be found here.

Edited by JohnWS
  • Like 8