Smer 1/48 Macchi Castoldi MC72 *Finished* Schneider Trophy

Morning Pat

That looks horrible - the paint not the plane - and I fear a bad pot of paint.  I'm sitting here with a yeeaarrss old can of exactly that paint in front of me and it is still fine, smooth brush application (with both large and small brushes) and good coverage with a one coat finish.

You could try lots of thinners into the pot and try and resuscitate it but I'd be more inclined to start afresh.

Which of the MC72s are you representing?  A number of them held the world speed record during the 30's, but MM181 topped 709 kmph in October 34 - which remained unbroken until March 1939 when it was topped by the He100 V8 at just short of 750kmph (but not of course a seaplane).  The MM181 record is I think still the extant piston-engined seaplane speed record.

Regards

Andrew

• Like 2

Bin the pot and get another. Had the same issue with a tin of Humbrol enamel and damned near ruined a model because of it. Sorry to see you suffering the same problem :( 

• Like 1

I too use metallic paints from Humbrol - yes they do look like the photo 2 even after a lot of stirring. I always use an undercoat of matt first - usually a light or medium shade of grey, then one coat will give you a smooth coverage. I suspect that the plastic of the model has a thin grease layer which the metallic paints react to instantly.

P

• Like 1

Lots of experimenting later, I tried the Matt grey as a primer, and a different pot of paint AND stirring it more thoroughly, and whilst the result is better it's still going to take multiple coats

IMG_3709

IMG_3708

Now with copper paint applied

IMG_3713

IMG_3712

MC72 181 is getting there :fight:

cheers Pat

• Like 1

On 12/30/2017 at 5:10 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Calm down its the real one not my dodgy looking attempt ! :rofl2:

cheers Pat

Ha! At first, I thought it was your model. I was about to comment on the fantastic finish!

Actually, I just looked at your model's finish (I had to go to flickr via the links above as the images weren't embedded in your post), and so I will comment on the fantastic finish. I really like the gloss and metallic painting.

Happy New Year to you.

Regards,

David

Edited by Dazey

On 01/01/2018 at 8:35 AM, Dazey said:

Ha! At first, I thought it was your model. I was about to comment on the fantastic finish!

Actually, I just looked at your model's finish (I had to go to flickr via the links above as the images weren't embedded in your post), and so I will comment on the fantastic finish. I really like the gloss and metallic painting.

Happy New Year to you.

Regards,

David

Hi David

A happy and healthy New Year to you and the family.

Many thanks for the kind comments, I think I have finally got the hang of the Flickr changes so will go back and fix that post.

Update to follow

cheers Pat

• Like 1

Blooming heck where did all the time go, we had ages then suddenly we seem to have hours to finish !

IMG_3719

Above in the cockpit windscreen, this is kindly supplied as a flat plastic sheet ! Don't ask how many times I checked the measurements before bending it into shape.....

Masking, which I hate, has taken ages with this kit and it's still going !

IMG_3720

This is for a white stripe on the fuselage. Which I think I have painted too long depending on what photo of the aircraft you choose to look at.  Now that I can zoom in, I can also see lots of touching up of red paintwork where other colours has crept through the masking tape.

IMG_3721

I have now painted under the floats, white but definitely a second coat required 

More tonight

cheers Pat

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Blooming heck where did all the time go, we had ages then suddenly we seem to have hours to finish !

At least yours has wings and paint on it! 

Thanks for the kind wishes, and a Happy New Year to you and your family.

Regards,

David

• Like 1

Right time for an update.

Having masked to paint the white stripe, too long as you will remember ! I removed the masking tape to find this...

IMG_3723

IMG_3722

Lots of paint has managed to sneak under the tape ! So nothing for it but to paint over, oh and fit the canopy.

So canopy fitted and lots of careful touching in of red paint, brings us to this

IMG_3724

IMG_3725

So tomorrow will be decals on and a coat of Klear. 

Need to chase up young Rose and the Arado, if Andy can start a new build at this stage, there's no excuses for Rose not to finish  :whip:

cheers Pat

• Like 4

Leaving it typically "Last Minute . Com" finally got my finger out to finish this one.

IMG_3727

IMG_3731

IMG_3732

However, looking again at the photo of the real one, the obvious difference, apart from my rigging looking a bit threadbare is the shiny prop. Therefore I took the opportunity to try out my recently acquired Chrome pen ( yes there is such a thing ! ) and the results are amazing.

IMG_3733

IMG_3734

IMG_3737

IMG_3738

IMG_3739

Please forgive the poor quality of the pictures

Good luck to everyone striving to finish today, 

cheers Pat

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

However, looking again at the photo of the real one, the obvious difference, apart from my rigging looking a bit threadbare is the shiny prop. Therefore I took the opportunity to try out my recently acquired Chrome pen ( yes there is such a thing ! ) and the results are amazing.

Hi Pat,

Congratulations on finishing! It looks really cool. I'll check the final photos in the gallery later... I'm just having a midnight snack before taking photos of the orange Willow.

I like the sound of these chrome pens, and the look if the effect. I've just done a quick Google search – is it the MOLOTOW LIQUID CHROME?

Regards,

David

• Like 1

Evening Pat

Very nicely done - certainly looks the business.  A troubled aeroplane in many ways with the initial 1931 MC72s being grounded prior to the Cup event and really only coming into their own in the mid-30s with the speed records.  A fine tribute to MM181

Now about that vac form .....

Take Care

Andrew

• Like 1