Smer 1/48 Macchi Castoldi MC72 *Finished* Schneider Trophy

Working away from home this week so thought it was too good an opportunity to miss not to try to build something while I'm away.

So a quick look in the stash found this

IMG_3670

Look not too many parts, so it should be a nice easy build ! Famous last words of many a Britmodeller. :wicked:

IMG_3671

Extensive decals included 

IMG_3672

So the challenge is, get this finished before I go home Thursday night, plus Jaime didn't have a Smer Kit or something Italian for his statistics ;)

Watch this space !

cheers Pat

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Hi again Pat!

Welcome to the GB for your third build! It's a nice choice, very elegant aircraft, like all racing machines of the time. In fact it's the third Italian operated aircraft to enter the GB, but it's the first Smer :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Getting the float struts right is interesting. You will need a file! If you mask it to paint and rig it, it won't be done by thursday. I rigged it, sprayed the red, then masked for the brass, copper and silver. Oh, and I swore a lot! :rant:

• Like 2

Usually Smer is a re-box company. But accordingly to Scalemates web page this is original kit by Smer

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/1017078-sm-r-0813-macchi-castoldi-m-c-72

Interesting...

There is Ali d'Ilalia booklet on this machine. Perhaps you might find PDF in net if you dig for it

https://www.scalemates.com/books/book.php?id=108340

Regards

J-W

Edited by JWM
mispelling corrections

4 hours ago, pheonix said:

This looks as though it could be a very interesting addition to the GB. Lets hope that you can get this one finished.

P

Hi P

Famous last words if ever I heard them !

cheers Pat

Tonight's update

IMG_3673

IMG_3674

Blooming Nora, there has been a lot of filing to get things to fit, holes missing for rigging. And talking of missing, like a muppet I have left the red paint at home so off into exotic Darlington tomorrow to find a pot of H19

cheers Pat

• Like 4

Right, time for an update.

fixing the floats to the rest of the aircraft is a nightmare. You need ten fingers on each hand and at least 4 hands. if I use the words to describe this that are appropriate. I would get a lifetime ban from BM so let's just leave it there shall we !

IMG_3675

This is one of a few methods / attempts to hold stuff still.

Next came the rigging which compared to some of the extensive rigging seen on other builds in this GB was relatively easy, photos below

IMG_3676

IMG_3677

IMG_3678

Just need to paint it now, and then fix the canopy, finally the decals.

Must update on the BE-4, then Rose's Arado, mustn't forget to try to get back to the stalled Perth as well :frantic:

cheers Pat 

• Like 4

Just caught u with this - what a shapely aeroplane! I fully endorse your jig for holding tings in place - just how I would have done it. With a coat of painty and markings this ne will be a cracker!

Now about that Perth?

P

• Like 2

On 07/12/2017 at 5:58 PM, Grandboof said:

Nice work Bring on the Red 

Martin H

My pleasure

I decided to put the red on then mask for the other colours, time will tell if this will be the correct thing to do.

IMG_3691

IMG_3690

Its very bright !  :coolio:

cheers Pat

• Like 2

Err HELP !

Something strange has happened with the Humbrol paint. It's H55 copper which I've never used before, but it's brand new.

IMG_3704

Now despite stirring the blooming pot till I was worried about making a hole in the bottom, it still looked like this

IMG_3702

Which when you apply it with hairy stick to the MC72, looks like this !

IMG_3703

The patch on the left is the first attempt, i.e. 1 coat. The patch on the right is lots of goes while still wet.

It looks as rough as a badgers posterior ! 

Has as anyone used this paint before ?

Have I got a dodgy tin or is it just incompetence on my part ?

All help greatly appreciated 

Cheers Pat

Sorry to know about your paint problems... Unfortunately I can't give any advice. The last time I used humbrol paints was 30 years ago, in my first incarnation as a modeller...

• Sad 1

I've used the Humbrol enamel copper many times. It looks exactly like yours in the tin - an almost marbled appearance. It goes on smoothly by brush, and one coat has always been enough for me. The finish is smooth and glossy. 

From the look of your 'one coat' section, I'd look at stirring it more thoroughly. 

• Like 1