PK-606 Consolidated P4BY-2 Privateer

Romeo Alpha Yankee

Great work sofar Ray. Luckely you have got an extra week. The GB is extended now till the 18th of Februari. 

So the presure is a bit of now. :thumbsup:

Cheers

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I won't make the finish line with this one. I have had paint problems laying down the white, and have just got back from a weeks holiday.

Looks like it will languish on the shelf of doom until I can motivate myself to finish it.

With so many other GBs I have decided to participate this year I can't see getting back to this one for some time.

• Sad 3

Not to worry Ray, 

You've got a few kits in the Gallery so at least there's some 'runs on the board'. 

I'm fighting a proper final coat on my Tempest, however should get this one over the line tomorrow. 

Looking forward to exchanging pleasantries when we next meet in some other BM GB. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Hi Ray,sorry to see this one stumble.Are you having trouble with the plastic showing through the white paint?If so then use a black primer.I've done this with the red plastic on the 125 & then used a white primer over the black,it should solve the problem.

Jimbob. ..

I've only just found this as well, as I don't do group builds. I have one of these at a similar stage of build. An uninspring kit. I began this over 20 years ago, and it sat until last month. I had to dig out the nose and tail fairings for one of our members, and decided to finish it off. The white paint is about to be sprayed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dude_gan_ainm said:

Hi Ray,sorry to see this one stumble.Are you having trouble with the plastic showing through the white paint?If so then use a black primer.I've done this with the red plastic on the 125 & then used a white primer over the black,it should solve the problem.

Jimbob. ..

Jimbob,

In my usual stupid haste, I applied the white one a particularly hot day and the result was a sandpapered finish. I then tried to fix it with another coat. In the end, I had to rub and strip it back and the result was not the best. I will get back to it one day.

43 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I dislike white paint. Happily Halfords Appliance White rattle cans are a godsend. The secret is light coats. Just leaving it to gas out and harden up before masking it off.

Halfords is luxury we don't have in this neck of the woods, having built plenty of airliners I have a usual ritual I go through to apply white. In this case, I was low on my go to supplies and tried something different with disastrous results.  Another lesson learned

7 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Can you not get automotive paint in rattle cans down under? I would have thought it was pretty universal.

You can, but usually, I try and source from the larger rattle cans from a Hardware centre and my run with the household type  rattle cans has not been good.

Might investigate the automotive shops now.

Thanks for the advice