PK-606 Consolidated P4BY-2 Privateer

Romeo Alpha Yankee

This will be my next entry. Part started but cleared by our Overlord and Mod, Arnold.

26875000359_92a96b4dcd_b.jpg

37933285664_d9804df955_b.jpg

37933285174_a828216bbc_b.jpg

I have some aftermarket for it, clear parts, landing gear, guns, props and wheels. The engines already installed are also aftermarket.

37933285594_5c66bd6e2c_b.jpg

and there are some kits parts still to go in.

38594890576_cd0ab46ed1_b.jpg

Might have to do something with the cockpit as well.

• Like 10

Looking forward to this Ray and glad that you`ve chosen the Privateer. I was going to build mine but I want to build an RAF transport version and just wasn`t in the mood for cutting out all of those windows! 

Good luck,

Tony

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Slow progress, I found the centre console in the cockpit was missing so I have scratch built a replacement. I have decided against using the vacform parts as it is too much mucking around and adding complexity to the build. I will be using the Aeroclub 50cal guns though.

Pictures soon I hope

• Like 2

On 12/13/2017 at 9:56 PM, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Slow progress, I found the centre console in the cockpit was missing so I have scratch built a replacement. I have decided against using the vacform parts as it is too much mucking around and adding complexity to the build. I will be using the Aeroclub 50cal guns though.

Pictures soon I hope

I'd like to get my hands on some of the Aeroclub 50s, both for my Privateer and the Airfix Marauder.

• 2 weeks later...

I am finding it hard to motivate with this build. I have painted the cockpit and some of the internals

39226064572_e816a354f4_o.jpg

38378202335_d259dcfeb4_o.jpg

But when it comes to mounting the Aeroclub 50 cals, I am not sure the best way to go about it. So at the moment, the build has dragged to a halt.

• Like 4

Merry Christmas all, (well at least it is down this way).

Since I could not sleep I was up early and decided to have a crack at the guns, mojo restored!

I drilled holes into the bodies of the guns and glued a length of brass rod to create the mounts

24408061007_23c8eed590_o.jpg

The first problem was with the upper turrets, the mounts were too far back so I had to cut them off and move them forward so the guns would fit inside, left mount unmodified, right modified

38393724655_4bc612b13b_o.jpg

The rest was straightforward until I spilt superglue in the nose-mounted ball turret clear parts :(

38393724455_c77577d12f_o.jpg

And a final shot of the waist mounts test fitted in position.

24408126277_41c2d167be_o.jpg

27494334449_5d998453b3_o.jpg

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...

This one will not make the finish line I am afraid, I have lost motivation to continue due to fogging the nose turret transparency. I do have a falcon vac replacement but at this time can't be bothered to cut it out and re-engineer the gun mounts to accommodate it.

I will get back to this one day.

Been a great GB and it has been amazing to see so many of these older kits being built and finished again.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

Sorry to hear that Ray - it's always a kicker when something goes wrong. However, what can we all do to get your motivation back? I was really looking forward to seeing your Privateer finished seeing as how I've never built one and it is a brother of the B-24 Liberator which I love (never actually built one of those either but one day....). What's a fogged transparency between friends? I've managed to do the same to my He.115 front canopy but I live in hope that I can work a miracle in time with something like toothpaste and floor polish! If not, the final photos will be 'strategic'.

Keep your chin up. Regards, Mike.

• Like 1

It is a pitty, but I do understand it. As you have done a lot of work on it you don't want to rush things now. 

Hopefully we will see it finished on Britmodeller.

Cheers,

I concour with the others Ray, it woud have been nice but no point rushing it.

You've contributied more than your fair share of Matchbox classics to this successful GB, so its congratulations all round from me. :clap2:

Cheers.. Dave

Sorry to hear this Ray, mainly as I have been converting a 1:144 Liberator to a Privateer and I was getting some good information from your build.  I shall be looking forward to when you pick up the reins again.

Mike

On 1/20/2018 at 2:56 PM, stevehnz said:

Sorry you've hit this snag Ray but fully understand. Like others I'll look forward to the day when your Privateer mojo returns. On a purely mercenary level, whose twin .50s are those, they look good?

Steve.

Cheers Chaps,

Steve, .50s are from Aeroclub. They scrub up nice with a spot of paint on them. lovely detail on them too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Surprise!

For some reason, I thought the end date was sooner and with the turret issues, I was having I would not get past the post.

I got back into the build last week and have been tinkering with it and have overcome the issues I was having and creating new ones. :doh:

So here is the completed cockpit and the start of assembling the turrets

25111218217_14532de27c_o.jpg

I fought my vacform clear parts demons to assemble the nose turret, rather than mask it up I painted strips of paint for the framing which turned out OK

26109422378_d80738d9fc_o.jpg

39950380182_a6f59bb9e0_o.jpg

I decided to assemble the upper turrets and coat them in future, for some reason one of them clouded up! :worry: I tired to clean it up with some IPA but to no avail.

26109422578_24e41c1083_o.jpg

So out came the vacform turrets again and I replaced the dodgy one (the rearmost one) having to saw the top of the affected turret off.

39950379912_92209afe01_o.jpg

Then it was time to assemble the fuselage, I had seen in other Liberator builds that these models a massive tail sitters, so out with the weight ( a bit of it). I was going to put it behind the cockpit but figured I would need more weight, so it went under the cockpit floor to fill the chasm that was the nose wheel well.

39950380312_14532de27c_o.jpg

Fuselage together with a little help and glue setting.

26109422148_4a346b3f70_o.jpg

The better half got home and it was time for dinner feeling quite good about myself that I was progressing again and I had remembered the nose weight :D :clap:

Then it hit me while we were chatting over dinner, I had forgotten to put the waist guns in! :rage::wall:

So the minute din dins was over I sprinted to the cave to prize the fuselage open (which had the seams well on the way to setting!).

Fortunately, I was able to get the guns in with minimal disturbance to the kit.

39950379692_5cb0266db1_o.jpg

26109421898_721381f37b_o.jpg

So this build is back on track and I should get it finished by the end date :waiting: :waiting: 

:cheers:

• Like 6

That's the spirit Ray, good to see this one getting a 2nd life. 

There's nothing like a good day of 'modellers recovery' to bring you back to earth and I seemingly always have at least one rotten day with each of my builds.

This big girl is looking most impressive, it'll look great in the gallery next to your two other US Navy birds. 

Cheers.. Dave    

• Like 1

Almost at the paint stage,

39136760315_f487d55193_o.jpg

40035185311_e5f815cc37_o.jpg

40002602362_9c13afc6cf_o.jpg

Added a few odds and ends today including attaching the gear

39136760425_38281560f3_o.jpg

The resin wheel are only pushed on and needed persuasion to get them to fit, As with the gear legs into the wings, they there and they aren't coming out!

• Like 7

Fantastic to see your Privateer up and running again Ray. That's what I like about Group Builds - you get to see the starting material,  share the building experience (and learning) through the WIP thread and share the pain and euphoria at the appropriate moments! It's the rules, innit!

This is definitely a favourite of mine and I'm keeping a lookout for a reasonably priced kit for myself - I'll probably have to sand the flats on my tyres though!

Cheers. Mike

• Like 1