Which frogfoot should I buy???

toms_scale_models

I have a question to the next kit I'm planning on buying, an Su-25 Frogfoot! I've looked at zvezda and smer's 1/72nd versions and I'd like to know either which one is better or if there are any other kits that are possibly better!

Many thanks,

Tom!

13 hours ago, Jabba said:

If you can find one the Art Model kit is the best AFAIK.

I agree with Jabba, the Art Model is currently the best 1/72 Su-25 on the market; however, it is not an easy build.  It's a limited-run, mixed-media kit with some compromises in terms of fit.  Nonetheless, the shape is right and there is some really nice surface detail.

• 2 months later...

I have this kit, the UB actually. I hae it for ona and a half years and I still unsure aboute the soviet/russian camo schemes. I couldnt find any shots of the exact planes and neither can find any aftermarket for the UB version. Any idea guys? :\

Can't help with the pictures. Specifically for Art Model Su-25UB there is the Art Model photoetch sheet (also sold under HR Model label), and another PE sheet by NH Detail. I don't know if Pavla vac canopy would fit at all, it is for the Unda kit. I think there are UB(K) decals at least from Authentic Decals and Kopro. Of course, many aftermarket items for the single seater are usable for the UB as well.

Tom, the Zvezda kit isn't too bed as far as detail goes. It is in my stash; but, haven't built as yet, so cannot comment as to fit, etc.. It is a late 90s Zvezda kit; it is a sort transitional one between their first kits which reminded one of 60s and 70s Hasegawa, Airfix, etc. models. This one has engraved panel detail, better surface, and seems to be more accurate than the Su-25 kits of 10 years earlier. Mine is an Italeri re-boxing with both Italeri and Zvezda's name on the box. The decals are also made/printed by Italeri; these are most likely better than the ones offered by Zvezda at that time. The cockpit is, however, consists of just a floor, so-so ejection seat, and not much else(perhaps a control column, I don't really remember). I do recall that the engine nacelles have the "bolted on" chaff/flare launchers on the aft ends. Eduard did produce a PE set for it; there were 2 frets IIRC. I don't know if they still have it in production. You could check their website. If the Art Model one is not available; this could be a good option for you.

HTH

Joe

3 hours ago, tempestfan said:

Excuse my ignorance - is the Smer the ex- KP ? I know the 1/48 Smer is the ex-OEZ...

Yes! Smer Su-25 is  ex-OEZ,KP,EDUARD,Kovozavody Prostejov ... But better Frogfoot is not, Monogram is bad joke.

About problem with ART-model  Su-25UTG you may read in this Russian article with photo:

http://scalemodels.ru/articles/6733-obzor-ARTmodel-1-72-su-25utg---luchshee-ne-znachit-khoroshee.html

Some problems ART-model Su-25UTG have and Su-25 ART-model.

B.R.

Serge