Avro Shackleton AEW.2, WL795, No. 8 Sqn, RAF Lossiemouth, early 1980s

So here she is, my first Shackleton, an aircraft I've loved since childhood when they used to clatter over into Woodford occasionally, the highlight of any schoolday when that happened!

Built straight OOB with just a few little aerial additions after reading Chally71's Shack thread on here - many thanks for the info! No wires yet though, I'll get round to sprue melting another day.

I was going to do WL756, but having seen that 795 is now preserved at St Mawgan (albeit as an MR2 again) I thought I'd honour her instead. I hope I've done this beautiful Avro justice ...

23j36zl.jpg

23h3ta9.jpg

30xfkw2.jpg

2w3w4ki.jpg

108d7qx.jpg

2eg44tx.jpg

2n7ml5c.jpg

• Like 59

1 hour ago, Lord Riot said:

Thanks for the comments! 

It doesn't take up that much room, fits on top of a bookshelf ok - it's a decent size, but smaller than the Victor and Vulcan.

Lovely looking Growler there; I thought Mk the only time I saw one fly was at Biggin Hill in the early 'eighties.

The span is the same as the Vctor B. 2 and greater than the Vulcan B. 2 by 1 5/6 inches, but being a tail-dragged with the widest bit ahead of the middle helps to get it on the shelf: a lot of my big, swept-wing types are parked with their noses towards the wall so that all of the wheels have got something to sit on.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments chaps. 

That’s a surprise to learn it’s the same wing span as the V bombers, it looks much smaller on the shelf. I’ll measure them all tonight if I remember and see how close they are! 

It was a wonderful sound the four Griffons, always amazing to see the Shack flying. I feel like doing an MR2 soon, though I never saw one in real life.

Looking really lovely

I got one of the Revell ones from Wonderland Models sale at Telford, having seen one at an airshow back in the '80's just fell in love with it

hope to get into a GB next year, will be really happy if it's anywhere near as good as yours

• Like 1

Thanks chaps!

I definitely recommend it, the kit is really nice to make - good instructions and parts fit together really well. It’s a great subject too as there’s so many little extras on a Shack. Love those big red underwing serials against the dark grey as well.

I know what you mean Ian, though it wasn’t quite so bad. I did the red first then just a white stripe - but 48 times! Every blade front and back! 

I did wonder whether they may be decals, but no.