Ark Royal's last cruise -Phantom FG1:Tractor and base close to completion

Massimo

2 hours ago, andyf117 said:

Save folded blades - and tail - for the Sea King, Massimo, I'd say...

....thanks for the kind comment on my HAS.1 - please don't hesitate to ask if you think I may be able to assist with anything for yours...

....the following shows the basic mods needed for the Revell kit - also applicable to the Airfix HAR.3 (if I recall correctly, you've got both):

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234975759-rn-hu5-172-revell-cat1/&do=findComment&comment=1880792

(Just ignore the parts about Orange Crop boxes, which you won't have anyway)

If you don't already have it, Modeldecal Sheet 49 will give you the markings for the same aircraft pictured in your magazine article...

Hi Andy,the Sea King will definitely have folded blades and tail and may be placed on the same base with the Wessie, possibly being towed by a tractor,as in the picture below.

UFcgSlu.jpg

As per decals, I've got the Model Alliance MA 72121 "Ark Royal Air Wing selection" shown here below

2Q5B6rA.jpg

In it there markings for two aircraft: MK1 55R on board Ark in 1970 ans MK2 52R in 1974.

Q8ED9TG.jpg

7I9zZFC.jpg

My project is about the aircraft on board Ark during her  last deployment, thus the second is the one I've chosen. At the moment I've got a Revell kit.

Thanks for the info. They'll be useful.

Edited by Massimo
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Massimo said:

Hi Andy,the Sea King will definitely have folded blades and tail and may be placed on the same base with the Wessie, possibly being towed by a tractor,as in the picture below.

UFcgSlu.jpg

This photo actually clears up some confusion here - back on page 1, the Modeldecal instructions text and photo clearly specifies and shows the Wessex without the forward 'Rescue' title in March 1978...

....the above photo, though, shows the forward title on the door - but the Sea King is the big clue. It has the five-bladed tail rotor, making it a HAS.1, meaning the photo was taken a few years earlier...

....as per the posts back on page 34, a little mix 'n match with codes and serials from the MA sheet, and you can depict XZ578 055/R exactly as it appears in your magazine article - nice idea about having it towed by a tractor...

Edited by andyf117
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, andyf117 said:

This photo actually clears up some confusion here - back on page 1, the Modeldecal instructions text and photo clearly states and shows the Wessex without the forward 'Rescue' title, and specifies...

....the above photo, though, shows the forward title on the door - but the Sea King is the big clue. It has the five-bladed tail rotor, making it a HAS.1, meaning the photo was taken earlier than 1978...

....as per the posts back on page 34, a little mix 'n match with codes and serials from the MA sheet, and you can depict XZ578 055/R exactly as it appears in your magazine article - nice idea about having it towed by a tractor...

1)The picture is  just a reference for  the possible position of both aircraft on the  same base. You're correct it must have been taken during an earlier deployment. It also got meconfused  while decalling the Wessex as following the problem with the Rs I hadn't thought I could use those from  the second setof Rescue decals. You gave me the right suggestion!:clap:

2)About the Sea king, the angle among three of the rotor blades seems to be approx 120 deg, so I assume they must be six, one of which is hidden behind the tail. 

3) I'll follow your suggestion about codes,while I look for info about which aircraft were on board during the last deployment. Anyway, once I've purchased this decal sheet, there won't be any problem to represent any aircraft.

JziAh1i.jpg

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Massimo said:

1)The picture is  just a reference for  the possible position of both aircraft on the  same base. You're correct it must have been taken during an earlier deployment. It also got meconfused  while decalling the Wessex as following the problem with the Rs I hadn't thought I could use those from  the second setof Rescue decals. You gave me the right suggestion!:clap:

2)About the Sea king, the angle among three of the rotor blades seems to be approx 120 deg, so I assume they must be six, one of which is hidden behind the tail. 

3) I'll follow your suggestion about codes,while I look for info about which aircraft were on board during the last deployment. Anyway, once I've purchased this decal sheet, there won't be any problem to represent any aircraft.

Just took a closer look at the Sea King, and you're absolutely right - I'd taken one glance, counted five, and immediately thought 'HAS.1'; but it is a six-bladed TR (easily confirmed with a straight edge, showing the vertically-positioned pair aligned)...

....so hanging my head in embarrassment at that mis-identification - however, I'm still confident it is a pre-1978 photo, as there's definitely no 'Barn Door' anti-icing shield...

Edited by andyf117
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, andyf117 said:

Just took a closer look at the Sea King, and you're absolutely right - I'd taken one glance, counted five, and immediately thought 'HAS.1'; but it is a six-bladed TR (easily confirmed with a straight edge, showing the vertically-positioned pair aligned)...

....so hanging my head in embarrassment at that mis-identification - however, I'm still confident it is a pre-1978 photo, as there's definitely no 'Barn Door' anti-icing shield...

Even that isn’t 100% conclusive, I’m afraid; we sometimes took the barn door off HAS5s & 6s.  Admittedly only in the tropics, where the extra 2% power outweighed the (non-existent) risk of icing.  None the less.

But you’re right; that’s a Mk.2

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Good morning mates,

things aren't so good around, but the only thing they tell us to do is to stay at home and thus... I stay at home and, among other things, I carry on with my project.

Last night I painted the doors and this morning I shaded them with a lighter grey and some dry-brushing.

nFB4Bh1.jpg

m3BBAw5.jpg

lsc62Z9.jpg

One of the things left was the matt black area around the steps at the cockpit's sides, so I went to work.

Ofp57KH.jpg

JRoQ5s5.jpg

2FlnJYt.jpg

7N6AIzx.jpg

2Ke6AyU.jpg

44btAbE.jpg

I also did some washes with oil colors , but this time just in small ares at a time,toavoid the mess I didwith the Gannet. I also dry brushed all thePE brackets  around the tailand fuselage with a lighter grey and finally I sprayed another layer of satin finish. After the brown wash, the Blue grey has now a warmer look,which I like and the finish isn't matt, but not even too glossy.

hBb8XqK.jpg

fO0VuVx.jpg

XzcxxiS.jpg

Next on the list are:

1) cables to the winch,

2) Rotor (I'm still considering folded or spread options for the blades)

3) antenna cables along the fuselage

4) belly winch

5) Exhausts

6) When I removed the masking from the canopy, I had this surprise....the inside of the PE is visible from outside!!!    

Tho resolve the problemand add a nice touch, I'll add the antiglare blinds.

That's it for now!

FEd5Pi4.jpg

Ciao 

Massimo

Edited by Massimo
  • Like 14

Looking very nice now, Massimo!

With regard to the photo, it appears that I was right first time after all, and that Sea King is indeed a HAS.1 - a reverse image search brings the pic up as part of this collection on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/davids_world_2011/albums/72157627055781519/page2/

Uploaded by someone who served aboard from Oct 1972 to Oct 73 - and on the page linked to, that Sea King appears in another shot where it clearly has a five-blade TR!  So despite putting a straight edge along the 'vertical' blades and finding they appeared to align, that was obviously a result of the angle at which the photo was taken...

Confirmation that the lack of forward 'Rescue' titles on the Wessex is correct is confirmed by the photo of the SAR Flight that appears in the commissioning book: http://www.axfordsabode.org.uk/pdf-docs/arkroy28.pdf - the link to all parts of the book is back in post #9...

....and picking up on ex-FAAWAFU's point about the 'Barn Door', in the photos of the Ship's Company, the 824 NAS picture shows the squadron's personnel in front of two Sea Kings - one with the shield fitted, and one without...

Edited by andyf117
  • Like 2

Good evening,

Tonight I went for the antigare blinds.

First I cut a strip of aluminium foil, then squeezed it between two blades to obtain some wrinkles.

OKOWgsr.jpg

slhj8YV.jpg

WFFKjsM.jpg

I primed it black, then I sprayed a layer of interior green followed by sky, both nearly parallel to the strip,to paint just one side of the wrinkles, obtaining a shaded effect.

M7Mhkta.jpg

I cut the stripinthree parts, one for each side and aspare one, then I positioned them from inside the cockpit. I used a couple of drops of Future to glue them to the transparent.

hTRTJ7S.jpg

IFZvtZr.jpg

tuVwrmK.jpg

I have to say I'm quite happy with the result. Not much, but that's it for the day.

Good night!

Massimo 

• Like 19

Great result Massimo !!

It look convincing to me !

Hey Man, I know it's not funny, here the lockdown is upgraded...

19th of April at best but the more serious projection is saying 3rd of May

Stay safe Man, now the russian army is helping !

Take care !

CC

• Like 2

Good afternoon mates,

one by one things are getting into place.

a few days ago, among other minor things, I had assembled the main rotor , with the addition of the PE.

hZFuZvd.jpg

iAQra8R.jpg

Not all the parts supplied by Italeri for the rotor head are accurate. The verticalrods connecting the lower crossto the rotorblades are ...a bit on the thick side!!!

TuEec6x.jpg

The Matchbox offering for these part is far better, although much older.

OenfCst.jpg

I cut the rods off and replaced them with thinner ones. It's far from Hendie's printed one, but on this scale, it's acceptable.

CVG8mdW.jpg

YhbV6zi.jpg

Once the rods had set, I masked the blades to paint therotor's head grey.

56BIChQ.jpg

juJByyR.jpg

f58FM5N.jpg

ycK8hU5.jpg

After a black wash, a dry-brush session with a lighter grey and a layer of matt clear, this is how it looks.

ZCBQHvg.jpg

Time for some more masking, to paint the yellow and red lines on the blades.

qC0KvV5.jpg

2UelECl.jpg

Once happy with the rotor, Iadded the antenna cables to the fuselage sides.

GH7DvlR.jpg

OGW2vAb.jpg

Another minor job was to assemble and adapt  the exhausts from the Matchbox kit.I like their look, much betterthan the straight ones by Italeri.

WGbNrCb.jpg

qoZjSLW.jpg

iBIaKGF.jpg

The last additions were the wind shield wipers the winch hook, which I replaced twith the PE by Eduard.

RjLpNKm.jpg

HlC4wgk.jpg

Here below a few pictures ofhow she looks now.

MNPPDoM.jpg

RR0dHAZ.jpg

E8Ws8J0.jpg

QV4Nt6l.jpg

3NJRqFw.jpg

iBIaKGF.jpg

IUNdiTR.jpg

jsO2GWE.jpg

We can say the kit is nearly finished.

I should add  covers and cables used to stop the rotor from movingwhen the aircraft was parkedas in the picture below...

TQKj7C6.jpg

...unless I decide to cut the blades and represent them folded... 

I'll think about it!

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 12