Ark Royal's last cruise -Phantom FG1:Tractor and base close to completion

Massimo

9 hours ago, Courageous said:

Is their a 1/144 Buccaneer on the market...:whistle:

Not sure about that, but I think not, however I have an old Tamiya 1/100 Buccaneer which I keep promising myself I will build one day soon.

Terry

• Like 1

Nice pics of Chicago!

Shame about the talc, I'm sure you got some odd looks too...but 1/144? What on earth are you thinking?

Ian

• Haha 1

Hi guys,

back home now.

Last night I couldn't sleep so I decided to do some work on the tail session.

KYqiZGq.jpg

Last week I cut from stabilizer's the elevators  and glued the top and bottom side as the resin one by Alleycat is a bit too thin.At the end, I've decided to use the kit part, corrected. Here's a comparaison between the two.

2fcpOuF.jpg

Comparing the tail shape with the picture in the back ground. I've just  realized the front edge was a little more round than on the kit on the real aircraft. I'll file it a little bit later.

fW1xgNv.jpg

5pQrZBi.jpg

Last night I cut the kit intake and the to pof the vertical fin.

DLvX77W.jpg

5IBG7SZ.jpg

Glued a styrene strip to the top of the tail and drilled the intale housing on the tail front edge.

7LuT66s.jpg

nmVOqEt.jpg

I added some CA glue to the junction and then... flour sweet flour!!!!!!:thumbsup:

And again I can tell you flour is great!!!

n16jENE.jpg

I filed the material in excess and then I glued an angled srtip of styrene to the fin's front. I also glued a piece of styrene tube to the airtake recess. I added CA gue and flour and filed it down to improvethe junction.

QXOjHrV.jpg

zV4a7ox.jpg

I added some CA glue into the recess and shaped it 

rNzPdEB.jpg

This morning I cut the eccess off and drilled a line of holes to the bottom of the orizontal stabilizer.

WiN29b9.jpg

Then I cut and shaped the fin's top to match the stabilizer.

ciiL6rB.jpg

d57rON6.jpg

Tsby07x.jpg

XaSnvNJ.jpg

EGbTPcP.jpg

Dry fit test tosee what it looks like wirh the open airbrakes too. I'll represent the stabilizer nose down and elevators bent up as in the last picture found on www.alamy.com.The vertical part over the stabilizer will have to be rebuilt, but I'll keep this for another time!!!

Ciao

Massimo

Edited by massimo2
  • Like 14

On 4/13/2018 at 3:43 AM, massimo said:

CHGPiTe.jpg

V5qi0NQ.jpg

...could it be this one? I found it in my book...:D

That definitely looks like S2 to me.

Hopefully you got through US customs with a "white powdery substance" without problems...:D

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, hairystick said:

That definitely looks like S2 to me.

7ft1OBv.jpgMh7Tyfi.jpg

Did you mean "Yes, that's the air intake for the Air charger on the S2 version"?

This is what i'm trying to understand. It looks so to me, but I havent any photographic evidence of it...

Thanks a lot!!!

Edited by massimo2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, hairystick said:

Hopefully you got through US customs with a "white powdery substance" without problems...:D

I bet he left it behind, without even regretting it :D  :D 

Great scratch building (as usual) Massimo! :clap:

Ciao

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, massimo said:

I added some CA glue to the junction and then... flour sweet flour!!!!!!:thumbsup:

:D BTW, here's the talc I use

dav

Baby powder, as you can see. :shrug:  I've yet to test flour but will do soon - I just hope gluten free flour reacts the same way, because regular one is banned from home

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/15/2018 at 11:04 PM, massimo said:

EGbTPcP.jpg

I'll represent the stabilizer nose down and elevators bent up as in the last picture found on www.alamy.com.The vertical part over the stabilizer will have to be rebuilt, but I'll keep this for another time!!!

Ciao

Massimo

...just to pick on this in the vein hope that it might be interesting.

They are not the elevators but are tailplane flaps.  The whole tailplane (or stabilizer) hinges (as you have correctly portrayed) to act as the elevator control for pitch, pitch trim is also managed through further adjustment to the all moving tailplane. 

To give extra flap area the ailerons droop (but still act differentially to control roll) and when they do so, such as for landing, the pitch of the aircraft has to compensated for and this is done by the tailplane flaps, they only move when the ailerons are drooped.  For the landing setting it is surprising at the angle that they take up.

In the shot above, '35' has the tailplane flaps at a high positive angle because the ailerons are still in droop position.

In this shot below the main flaps and ailerons are drooped for landing, the tailplane is angled up a bit to control the landing angle, and the tailplane flaps are in a high positive position to compensate for the drooped ailerons

Blackburn Buccaneer S2A XV360 St Mawgan 6-8-74

In this shot the tailplane has been left at a high (probably maximum) angle of attack position, but the tailplane flaps are neutral because there is no aileron droop applied

Blackburn Buccaneer S1 XN934/LS-631 Culdrose 25-7-79

Both pictures from my good friend Chris England.

Superb work as usual Massimo, nice to see the taiplpane separated and the adjustment work in the fin top carried out:yes:

• Like 9

57 minutes ago, 71chally said:

It is interesting, to me at least! :thumbsup:  I had no idea of this sort of combined compensation; was it managed by the pilot or automatic?

Ciao

Edited by giemme

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

In this shot the tailplane has been left at a high (probably maximum) angle of attack position, but the tailplane flaps are neutral because there is no aileron droop applied

Is this an automatic thing 'cos the kits come with main flaps and ailerons in neutral which means the tailplane would be set to maximum? :shrug:

Stuart

4 hours ago, Courageous said:

main flaps and ailerons in neutral which means the tailplane would be set to maximum?

Not necessarily as they can have everything straight when parked.

The photo of '631' shows her as an instructional airframe so that pose may not be quite representative.

@71chally will be along in a minute to explain how the gubbins works.

xv153.jpg?d=110418015342Buccaneer_S2_at_NAS_Pensacola_1965.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, giemme said:

It is interesting, to me at least! :thumbsup:  I had no idea of this sort of combined compensation; was it managed by the pilot or automatic?

Ciao

31 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Is this an automatic thing 'cos the kits come with main flaps and ailerons in neutral which means the tailplane would be set to maximum? :shrug:

Stuart

Yes the tailplane flaps automatically moved when the drooped ailerons were selected to the various positions, both had their own position indicators in the cockpit.

Stuart, the tailplane angle is controlled completely separately from the aileron droop control.

Info taken from the S.1 manual

So in normal flight or generally parked, droops and tailplane flaps at 0 deg, take-off droops 10/20 deg down tailplane flap 10/20 deg up, landing 25 deg down and tailplane flap 25 deg up.

Main flaps were selected separately, their respective angles being 0, 15 or 30 and 45 deg down.

On top of this the tailplane angle itself could be changed for trim in pitch by an electrical actuator, so on take-off the tailplane would be pitched up a bit, before any control stick input was even made.  The angles of tailplane trim were marked at the aft part of the fin top, so that deck crews could see that the right pre take-off angle had been selected by the pilot.

The pic of '631' is indeed of a dead aircraft, but I choose it as it dramatically illustrates the various positions.  The tailplane is probably at the maximum up trim, and with the control stick pulled right back.

BTW the Sea Vixen has a similar device, what looks like an elevator at the rear of the all moving tailplane only works when the flaps are selected, ie it is not a trim tab.

Gannet Mk1, 2, 4 and 5 has something similarish, the tailplane itself angles up when the flaps are operated, but is not an all moving tailplane in the true sense, having traditional elevators and separate trim tabs.

I hope some of this makes sense:worry:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

On 4/15/2018 at 11:04 PM, massimo said:

EGbTPcP.jpg

Actually I missed a good comparison here, both Buccaneers appear to have some positive tailplane up trim applied, guessing take-off position.  

However '35' has flaps and the aileron droops selected down, the droops putting the tailplane flaps in an up position, while '26' has neutral flaps, droops and tailplane flap

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, 71chally said:

They are not the elevators but are tailplane flaps.  The whole tailplane (or stabilizer) hinges (as you have correctly portrayed) to act as the elevator control for pitch, pitch trim is also managed through further adjustment to the all moving tailplane. 

Hi James,

Thanks for correcting me! I knew I wasn't using proper words, but now you've cleared my doubts!!!:yes:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 71chally said:

Actually I missed a good comparison here, both Buccaneers appear to have some positive tailplane up trim applied, guessing take-off position.  

However '35' has flaps and the aileron droops selected down, the droops putting the tailplane flaps in an up position, while '26' has neutral flaps, droops and tailplane flap

Fabulous -great photos and explanation of how the Buccaneer control surfaces interact - another BM gem

CJP

• Like 2

Fantastic job Massimo!! As usual...

But... 144th scale... you?? With your big hands?? :rofl:

Is true... you made a miracles with 1/72 scale... ok... is possible that you will made miracle with 1/144...

Good luck!  

• Haha 1

Hi fellas,

being at home, my modelling activity's been reduced dramaticly!

My Treasure comes up with plenty of "suggestions" for how to spend my free time and I can only agree with her!

I'm the one wearing trousers!!!:worthy::rofl:

Anyway, in the last few days I did some work on the stabilizer.

8hNKvs9.jpg

6hNvwKt.jpg

cs5WcOL.jpg

hiWvjRy.jpg

ISMXUxB.jpg

Pt7FIVM.jpg

Not much, but a little closer to the end of the tunnel!

Liverpool's doing great versus Roma!!!:clap:

• Like 14
  • Sad 1