Ark Royal's last cruise -Phantom FG1:Tractor and base close to completion

Massimo

To be fair James Imperial measure should prevail old chap  :whistle:

(tee hee giggle)

But I would be happy to see these in metric instead

Few photos of the Palouste hanging off the aircraft show them fully shut up/down

Anything you have on both configurations would be helpful, I am sure they wouldnt fly off with open panels all over the shop would they?

:)

• Like 2

That colour Gannet shot is unusual, in showing the Palouste pod in running configuration while hanging off the pylon, I've never seen that before.

You can see the intake and control panel door is open and the jet exhaust cover removed, while the aircraft itself is still running, which is partly why I wonder if it flew out to start a stranded jet somewhere.

The one in the B&W shot looks like it is either being removed or put back on the pylon, note the 'undercarriage' is lowered.

AEWs did mail runs and adhoc running around when the COD Gannet was away or otherwise engaged.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I’d love to see someone produce a good 1/48 Palouste

If someone can provide a good (accurate) starting dimension, it would be relatively easy to determine all the other dimensions and have one made up

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, hendie said:

...it would be relatively easy to determine all the other dimensions and have one made up

...that's a very kind offer!

I will try and get busy with a tape measure

Actually I hadn't realised until now that there isn't an aftermarket pod about, seems one hell of an oversight.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Very kind offer

Ho ho ho

What a fabulous language we share

Sad to say in none of the many and various drawings I have is there an actual dimension in any direction that I can find

• Haha 2

Dear Massimo.... you are my new hero!

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

Your hands are better than Leonardo, Michelangelo, Donatello and Raffaello!!!! (The artists... not the ninja turtles :D:D  )

Fantastic work!!!

• Haha 2

@massimo @perdu @hendie

I had a chance to photo and measure the pod today, I will start a new more involved thread on it with more detail at some stage.

40734839151_d06e2ba491_b.jpgBlackburn Palouste Air Starter Airborne Pod dims by James Thomas, on Flickr

A: Overall length 12' 9 1/4" (153 1/4")                389.25mm

B: Maximum width 24"                                       60.96mm

C: Nose to leading edge of pylon shoe 35"           88.9mm

D: Length of pylon shoe at pod body top 64 1/2"  163.83mm

E: Nose to undercarriage mid point 72"                182.88mm

F: Pod aft edge to end of tail part 3 1/4"              8.25mm

G: Aft edge to jet pipe door aft edge 13 1/4"        33.65mm

H: Aft edge to jet pipe door fwd edge 60"            152.4mm

C1: Widest circumference 80"                             203.2mm

C2: Aft edge of pod circumference 46"                 116.84mm

C3: Tail part to pod constant circumference 37"    93.98mm

Wheel track 24" approx                                      60.96mm

40692296632_39e2005cb3_c.jpgBlackburn Palouste Air Starter Airborne Pod by James Thomas, on Flickr

40692296052_ae1dae3525_c.jpgBlackburn Palouste Air Starter Airborne Pod by James Thomas, on Flickr

40692295092_5932a91cc4_c.jpgBlackburn Palouste Air Starter Airborne Pod by James Thomas, on Flickr

Many thanks to John at Horizon Aircraft for allowing me access to his pod

Edited by 71chally
Metric dimensions added
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Fantastic shots James thank you

Presumably the wheels unfasten and then the feet slip away inside the bodywork

Did you get the dimension of the wheel base across?

And how does it differ on the starboard side from the port side? Are the opening panels different?

Great to see the real thing instead of trying to re-guess the dimensions Blackburn's put in their advert

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, massimo said:

WOW!!!

I just watched Skyfall with my son, but I think you did much better than James Bond this time!!!

Thanks for the great contribution!!!:yes:

I think from here I can go to work!!!

Oh my God!!!

That's NOT metric!!!:wall::rant::banghead::hanging::cwl::rofl:

Edited by massimo2
  • Haha 2

Good morning mates.

A small update.

Last week in Pontefract wasn't my best modelling week! I started by chopping things offthe wings and went on by removing the main weels'wells and I think this was a mistake! I probaly did it on the wake of what done by Bill for his S1s, but , to be honest, for an S2 the original weel wells supplied with the kit weren't bad at all!!!They could have done with a bit of detailing.

Tpbsbrh.jpg

Here they are. I've been wondering several times about retro-fitting them, but the angled lines of the wells' perimeter arent that easy to shape and thus...I'll go on with my scratch built ones, but this brought my motivation a bit down.:banghead::wall:

Ak3OCxY.jpg

Here is what they look now. Back home I decided to glue the top wings' halves to the fuselage halves, as otherwise they're easy to flex and it would b difficult to get the right sape for the wells' front and back plates.

8fLOpJv.jpg

So this i what it looks like now. I could be ready to glue the fuselage halves, but before doing that I'd like to detail the front wheel 's well.

Anyway, with the wings' top halves glued to the fuselage, she really starts looking like a Buccaneer!!!

xszYaZC.jpg

A7wmTf2.jpg

Here she is with her Gannet sister.

Another news is concerning the new arrivals I found when I got home.

e1StUCV.jpg

First of all the only missing character.I have an Airfix one on order, but seing pictures of other builds I thought panel lines on the new kit are a bit too heavy for this scale and thus I bought this too .

7e0aX1U.jpg

The Fujimi Phantom looks great to me and panel lines and general detail look great, even if the kit is dated. This should be built ready to launch and the Airfix one, which has many option for open panels and folded wings, may be depicted in parking configuration.

And finally a little treat I decided to buy a while ago for my Ark:

shGS55s.jpg

DOHHQ1O.jpg

1/700 scale Buccaneers by Orange Models.

They look great...well...they look small too!!!:rofl:

jfEftM0.jpg

ionnDAK.jpg

My Buccaneers' Family is growing!!!

And this is it!

During this short weekend, I won't be abe to do anything, even as tomorrow I'll fly to Texas, and then to North carolina . I'll bring my working kit with me and hope to be able to finish those b***y wells!!!

Thanks again to James 71chally, who's demonstrated again to be a key factor for these builds!!!:worthy:

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 5

9 hours ago, perdu said:

Presumably the wheels unfasten and then the feet slip away inside the bodywork

Did you get the dimension of the wheel base across?

And how does it differ on the starboard side from the port side? Are the opening panels different?

Great to see the real thing instead of trying to re-guess the dimensions Blackburn's put in their advert

Yes the nose wheel unfastens using pip pins, and I think the mainwheels must unfasten and then they are put in the hose stowage compartment.

I would say that the wheels/track is no wider than the body, so say 2ft. 

From front to back you have the fuel tank, controls/instrument panel and battery bay, engine inlets and starter section (including back-up hand crank handle!), the Palouste engine, exhaust, and hose stowage bay.  you often see pictures of the whole aft section removed for running. 

I'm not sure why the tail section is shaped like it is, but I wonder if the hose to aircraft coupling fits in there or something

I've added a stb'd side on view to the above post

I have a load of shots but rather than infest  this thread I will start a new one, like a Palouste walkaround thread.

The engine inlets, the two red open areas towards the front, appear in the same position both sides, as do those flush orange running lights above them. Apparently they are designed to be seen by the pilot when the pod is hung on the aircraft, it would certainly make sense.

The main aft engine exhaust/hose stowage door is only on one side.

9 hours ago, massimo said:

Oh my God!!!

That's NOT metric!!!:wall::rant::banghead::hanging::cwl::rofl:

Apologies Massimo, I literally had about 40 minutes where I could leave my work station - I will do a metric conversion.

One thing I have only now noticed is how Palouste pods evolved and changed, the earlier ones look more bulbous and had the twin nose wheels and what looks to be a fully retractable undercarriage.  These later ones seem to vary a little as well, some have a proper inlet door (see the colour Gannet pic) some have the pylon shoe integral with the pod (like this one) and some don't.

If you need any more info/shots let me know, it was a fascinating exercise. 

The weather was doggers though, hence the bleached out shots.

This one is a screamer, so maybe catch it in the summer when it is fired up!

If anyone here can produce these in resin (either 48th or 72th) I would be grateful if I could purchase one.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, 71chally said:

If anyone here can produce these in resin (either 48th or 72th) I would be grateful if I could purchase one.

About this, a friend of mine has got a site where he sells resin sets, decals and other items.

as I'll have to build one from scratch both in 1/72 and 1/48thscale, I've been in touch with him and if I make the masters , he'll be able to cast them in resin.

Of course it'll take some time, but we could do it.

Here below the site link, in case anyone wants to have a look.

https://heroesmodels.it/

I'm getting ready for my journey now, so no more updates for tonight.

Ciao

Massimo

Edited by massimo2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/11/2018 at 7:07 PM, massimo said:

About this, a friend of mine has got a site where he sells resin sets, decals and other items.

as I'll have to build one from scratch both in 1/72 and 1/48thscale, I've been in touch with him and if I make the masters , he'll be able to cast them in resin.

Excellent news @massimo, I've started a new thread on the Paloutse pod with lots more pictures over here,

• Like 2

Very well James, I saw your topic and I think you did a great job!!!

If I may suggest something, I 'd confirm what Bill said about moving the topic to th Walkaround section.

Now back to my build.Last night I arrived to Dallas and here's a proof of it!

This guy must have been back from a Rodeo, he had proper sponsorised Jacket and bag, and his hat was dirt with soil!!! 

I didn't dare using the flash , so ... just be happy with his shape!

mGY4Bqf.jpg

This morning I startd from here.

wonpgPA.jpg

As I felt nearly ready to glue the fuselage halves together, I decided to concentrare on th tail lower section, before i forget!!!

3xXX4ev.jpg

KAe11KO.jpg

I cut this door off and shaped it. Tonight I may concentrate on a bit of detail inside it.

jcu7NcB.jpg

woA8ozP.jpg

4EWGnJz.jpg

Next I drilled some hole along the mark of the tail stand and cut it through. The shape isn't quite right, so I'll have to work on it, but at least this will remindme I'm not ready to glue the fuselage halves together yet!!!

Now some more research,

Looking at Bill's topic, my attention got to the bomb bay, which I have always considered to be shut on my model.

I'm not actually sure about the load configuration. I may be opting for missiles, but I haven't got any, or a Buddy buddy tank configuation. 

In both cases there's no reason for the bomb bay to be open. 

What other configuration could be realistic for an open bomb bay? I may consider also a loading tam and chart, but I haven't got a clue for a realistic scenario.

Suggestions are very welcome!!!

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 7

8 hours ago, massimo said:

What other configuration could be realistic for an open bomb bay?

Suggestions are very welcome!!!

Ciao

Massimo

There is a nice shot of an 809 sqn Buccaneer carrying a bomb under each of the four hardpoints and the door rotated open showing four bombs in the bay.

Will try and link to it later.

Cracking underside work going on there Massimo. 

You do get to travel!

Edit, found it

c8cd60b062cbb341d79c1d7e699a30c3.jpg

Edited by 71chally

6 hours ago, 71chally said:

You do get to travel!

His Buccaneer must have travelled many thousands of miles by now - without the wings even being on! 

Surely some kind of record? :lol:

Splendid progress Massimo - I would always be too distracted travelling so admire your incredible focus at keeping things going wherever you land. :clap:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, 71chally said:

There is a nice shot of an 809 sqn Buccaneer carrying a bomb under each of the four hardpoints and the door rotated open showing four bombs in the bay.

Will try and link to it later.

Cracking underside work going on there Massimo. 

You do get to travel!

Edit, found it

c8cd60b062cbb341d79c1d7e699a30c3.jpg

What a beautiful shot, in its natural element! Well maybe a tad lower for perfection 😁

• Like 2

Good morning, (it's 6,30 here!)

A small update:

GPBjT0I.jpg

5QVDvsV.jpg

lVQi10Z.jpg

0y0iRbv.jpg

last night I built a small box to represent the interior of the bay just before the tail pedestal (...is it correct to cal it llike that??? :wonder:) and I glued it to the port fuselage half. Some detail will follow, even if there won't be much, due to its position!!! I'll see later.

TwpcHH9.jpg

...by the way, what was that bay for? 

In my book there are a few pictures, but... not a word...

U2OlbwP.jpg

7sLftqh.jpg

tp2WOAX.jpg

Then I built the main wheel bays' remaining front and back plates.

That was a real nightmare!!! I cut them at an apporximate shape and glued them last night, let them dry overnight,  and shaped them down this morning.(around 4 AM...love the jetleg...very useful for modelling!!!:rofl:)

vjeFiuh.jpg

This is what they look like

laIavkx.jpg

with wings' lower halves dry fitted

jkQek9J.jpg

Bay's back plate ( with passage for pipings and cables

MiVhNXe.jpg

Bay's front plate

YB4L3VE.jpg

uOKZo8G.jpg

mMtgw34.jpg

mivacK9.jpg

...and finally the aft bay. The pedestal's hpusing will have to be refined as well as the arresting hook's one, which looks real s**t!!!

iVw0kx8.jpg

JbObIHN.jpg

This last one will have to be rounded and it reminds me ....a dolphin...if you know which body part I'm talking about!!!:rofl:)

That's it for now.Time for breakfast.

Tonight I'll come back on the weapons' configuration, with some pictures of the possibe option I'm taking in consideration.

For now , many thanks to Richard and  James , who've posted pics for different options.

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 6