Ark Royal's last cruise -Phantom FG1:Tractor and base close to completion

Massimo

10 hours ago, massimo said:

Hi mates,

just a quick update. This morning I woke up early and, before my Tresure could come up with plenty of things for me to do, I got some work done.

bMIwfi6.jpg

qeLL2pY.jpg

Up to then I had already filed and sanded down the ailerons. I filed a strip of thick plastic card with a round file to match the aileron front's shape, then I cut it in two halves and glued them in front of the ailerons.

cJ37bsq.jpg

UarRSQJ.jpg

rxAZxQD.jpg

qT1oych.jpg

evxdt1j.jpg

igAnITN.jpg

Then I shaped another piece of plastic card to match the inside of the wing section and glued it to it, using a couple of bitd of plastic strips as a back stop.That was it as at that point, my lovely half arrived and I got to real work!!!

ZViMNy6.jpg

After a long day getting things ready for tonight and tomorrow, We've just exchanged our presents and among other things I got a fantastic tie from my daughter and a book.

It'll be a very interesting read for the next few days.

XPu2OF5.jpg

This morning I got up early again and completed the wings sections inner frame. Now I'll have to add some detail. Back to James' pictures now!!!

I think this is it for this time. 

I'd like to wish a very Merry Christmas to all of you!

Ciao

Massimo

nice start on outer wing folds

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Good book, somebody loves you

I do!!! I ordered it on EBay a while ago and it probably arrived half a while a go, but Treasure hid it and ti was under the Christmas tree! It was quite a surprise!

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Nice tie, I'm very pleased you got it........(Quite pleased I didn't though). 😉

Every year my daughter comes up with a very exclusive item for my personal Christmas wardrobe!!!:wall:

On 25/12/2017 at 09:51, neil5208 said:

nice start on outer wing folds

Last night, after everybody else had gone to bed, I could concentrate a bit on the wing outer section's detail.

I added some hinges, covers and holes and this is the result I achieved:

rD6ADDa.jpg

GoWeV3v.jpg

12KmnGB.jpg

The panel lines were enphasized, as they were a bit on the light side. I'll have to do this all over the entire model, as panel lines are very light.

I may start working on the middle sections now, but the outer end is quite a mistery!

I'll have to go through James pictures and all my documentation again!!!

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 8

Nice wing fold detail developing here which will make a very interesting AEW3 - detailing each side as you go is also a good method and a much better approach than completing one side and then starting all over again on the other - good job

CJP

• Like 1

Hi mates,

Need help!!!

JY0El0M.jpg

I've started studying the pictures in my possess, kindly posted by James regarding the wing middle section's outer edge.

These pictures show an aircraft during an overhaul and thus most of the gards are removed.

were there any guards covering the holes on the front plate or were they left open?

0yG4rAd.jpg

kclXMvX.jpg

I've marked each hole and should anyone know aanything bout this, it may be of great help, as I woilnn't like to end up adding some extra detail which was normally under a cover!!!

8GrNN1L.jpg

...well...I guess I'm wrong!!! This picture (Steve Rye copyright) shows all the holes open!!!

UpoxO6L.png

Can anybody confirm this?

I like this thread. Could this model and  etched frame be ok for a Sea King onboard the Ark?

ED72558

Risultato immagine per sea king airfix 1/72

Is this the right box?

I already have a Revell kit, but I'm told the sponsoons re too small and some other parts , as the tail 6-bldes propeller are mixing.

Could this be the right alternative or could I mix parts from both?

Thanks

massimo

Edited by massimo2
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, massimo said:

I like this thread. Could this model and  etched frame be ok for a Sea King onboard the Ark?

I'm sure some of that etch could be used but you'd better check your chosen machine as they over the years gained and lost bits.

The HAR 3 is as good a starting point as any but will need many modifications. A larger radome to start and a complete HAS interior.

The best source on Sea Kings is @Ex-FAAWAFU of this parish who used to drive them and has a superb build on the back boiler on here and is well worth reading. I should warn you about the rivets though.

• Haha 3

I certaonly think the new-tool Airfix HAR3 is a decent candidate for the late-70s HAS2 conversion.  I have seen that kit in a lot of detail, and it is excellent.  You’d need to open up the sonar well, replace the bubble windows (and close off a couple altogether), scratch build different aerials and find a way of replacing the sand filters in front of the engines with the “barn door” arrangement, but those should be doable. 

I’d have to look at the Eduard instructions (which I’ll do on line) to be sure, but my immediate impression is that the HC4 PE would be mostly wasted. Top left = strengthening plates on tail.  Below those = sonar well blanking plate.  Top right = “Commando step”.  Other parts appear to be things like the frame for the IR jammer etc. below the engines.  None of those things applied to the Mk.2.  

• Like 1

I noticed, as you do, that the Airfix box-top shows rivets

Still there is a clue in that, Eduard don't supply those I see ;)

I might have to get that Eduard set for my HC4 though, the step is a marvel

Mine is likely to get rivet tooled rather than the Ex-FAAWAFU full monte though

Massimo I have a photograph of Gannet XA466 being manoeuvered on deck with the engines running and the wings folded whilst she is being readied for take off

Holes number 7 definitely seem to have a blanking plate over them which is indicated by the small screw holes around the rim of 7

I cant find confirmation the the AEWs had the same blanking plates but I doubt they would not, I searched my little stash of pictures and none showed an open hole on the AS1s or 3s

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I certaonly think the new-tool Airfix HAR3 is a decent candidate for the late-70s HAS2 conversion.  I have seen that kit in a lot of detail, and it is excellent.  You’d need to open up the sonar well, replace the bubble windows (and close off a couple altogether), scratch build different aerials and find a way of replacing the sand filters in front of the engines with the “barn door” arrangement, but those should be doable. 

I’d have to look at the Eduard instructions (which I’ll do on line) to be sure, but my immediate impression is that the HC4 PE would be mostly wasted. Top left = strengthening plates on tail.  Below those = sonar well blanking plate.  Top right = “Commando step”.  Other parts appear to be things like the frame for the IR jammer etc. below the engines.  None of those things applied to the Mk.2.  

Would the fret 72557 dedicated to the AEW2 be any better? The tail and main rotor folding systems look gret and the steps look different...Could it be a better alternative?

Thanks Crisp and...sorry for the ack of knowledge...for sure by the time I start to build her, I'll know better!!!:tmi:

Edited by massimo2

4 minutes ago, perdu said:

Massimo I have a photograph of Gannet XA466 being manoeuvered on deck with the engines running and the wings folded whilst she is being readied for take off

Holes number 7 definitely seem to have a blanking plate over them which is indicated by the small screw holes around the rim of 7

I cant find confirmation the the AEWs had the same blanking plates but I doubt they would not, I searched my little stash of pictures and none showed an open hole on the AS1s or 3s

16 minutes ago, perdu said:

I already have Revell model (see page5) and it's got rivets, but there are other problems with it and I was thinking I could cross build them, using the best of each.

About hole no 7, on all the pictures in my possess where this area is visible on operating aircraft, all holes are open!!!:wall:

I was looking for a shortcut, but this time it won't work!!!:cwl:

Edited by massimo2

Hi guys,

as I announced earlier, tonight I started working on the wings' middle section. I started from the outer folding system . I glued the plates at the wings' exit and cut the hinges female housings.( I'm sure they've got  proper names, but I don't know them, thus....please forgive my ignorance and possiblyhelp me to improve my knowledge!!!)

Here are some pictures:

EEAoggj.jpg

UneuqNc.jpg

aGzr8Vq.jpg

rnV8XVj.jpg

7qHOn6e.jpg

xAbhR7M.jpg

qn1gWDS.jpg

That's it for tonight.

Nignt night!!!:tired:

• Like 9

@massimo is correct, the holes in the outboard edge of the mid wing panel are open, including 'hole 7'.  This is also open in the AS type pictures, as seen above.

the outer edge of the inner wings (stub wings) also have open voids, where as the inboard edges of the mid and outer wing are closed, I think this is partly down to the positioning of the ribs as well as folding gear.

• Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, massimo said:

Would the fret 72557 dedicated to the AEW2 be any better? The tail and main rotor folding systems look gret and the steps look different...Could it be a better alternative?

Thanks Crisp and...sorry for the ack of knowledge...for sure by the time I start to build her, I'll know better!!!:tmi:

Although it's currently out-of-production David J Parkins produce a very nice set of photoetch steps for the Sea King's forward port side door which were originally issued by Tim Perry under his PP Aeroparts brand. 

• Thanks 1

Actually if you look back at Crisps great photos, they confirm them holes quite clearly.

You can see the holes here at 1:08, and yes Gannet WN349 and Lt Eric Taylor really flew back to Eglinton with both of its outer wings missing!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!

I went to bed late, but I woke up early, as I had some work to do !!!

7KzzOXR.jpg

First I glued a couple of square rods to act as a guide for a vertical plate made of pastic card. It's too long as I want to use it as a hande.There isn't much room to hold the back plate with my tiny fingers!!!I'll cut it later.

O3Yygt2.jpg

lq66yKi.jpg

Then I shaped the back plate to be inserted at the front of the middle wing section.

GTC8o6O.jpg

tlFdo7B.jpg

I added some rods to replicate the cylinder and the lever.

O9kbjFv.jpg

BkJs2gX.jpg

HfY6xAb.jpg

Then I shaped, drilled and filed the front plate and its hole and glued it in place.

GwWfMc3.jpg

AitsfRd.jpg

a quick dry fit test to see what the assembly looks like. I 'm quite satisfied!

keEFEUS.jpg

Time to concentrate on the second one.

That's it for now!

Ciao

Massimo

Edited by massimo2
  • Like 8

Truly admirable work on those wingfolds Massimo: this is a lesson in purpose and poise. Happily reading the last few updates with a strong cup of tea, a pain au chocolat and a broad smile.

Thank you for such great start on this freezing morning!:thumbsup:

Tony

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, massimo said:

Don’t apologise; lots of people on this forum have given me tons of generous advice, spare parts, ref shots etc., so it’s a pleasure to give some back.

Looking at the Eduard 72557 instructions, they are a far better bet for enhancing an HAS2 (not that surprising, I guess, since the early AEW cabs were all converted ASW airframes).  There are a couple of things that you wouldn’t need (e.g. tail strengthening plates + obviously details for the “bag” itself), but most of it seems relevant.  If you could combine that set with an Airfix HAR3, you might really be onto something - noting, of course, that the Eduard PE is designed to fit a different kit).

• Like 1