Ark Royal's last cruise -Phantom FG1:Tractor and base close to completion

Massimo

On 11/4/2019 at 2:32 PM, Lord Riot said:

It deserves a wider audience, I bet the FAA Museum would pay you handsomely to have that in a display case! Stunning work.

Don't know if it's still the case, but a professional modelmaker once told me that museums would only purchase items such as built models if they were supplied with a 99-year guarantee against deterioration, etc. - which ruled out plastic kits, as no-one could be certain that the plastic wouldn't break down over time, or joints split, or paint and varnish discolour, or decals lift...

....so when you see models on display in a museum, they're most likely either donations or loans, or they've been made 'in-house'...

Stunning Bucc, Massimo - although I'm mainly looking forward to seeing the choppers, of course! Bring on the Sea King (and the Wessex)!

Edited by andyf117
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Good evening everybody!

During last Christmas holidays I spent some time working on the wings of the two Jaguars and two weeks ago I got the moving parts fitted into place.

Last Saturday I decided to spend some time on another project that had been left aside for a while: Ark Royal's  Gannet AEW3.

To find my last intervention on her, I had to go back to page 37 of this thread, where I had painted the wings'middle and outer sections.To see the fuselage I went back to page 35.

The project had been left behind as at that time I used to do some modelling while I was abroad, which means I could carry out just some interiors' detailling and fuselage work. This got me concentrated on the Buccaneer and the Wessex.

Now I'll concentrate on the the main wing-folding system, or at least part of it.

Once the main components are done, I'll be ready for some paint work on the fuselage,its decalling and weathering, followed by the landing gears, so the kit will be standing on its own legs.

Finally I'll fix the folded wings and addthe last details to the wings' folding system.

Now a few pictures to show what I did overthe weekend.First I cut the elevators offf and re positioned them at an angle I've seen in a picture. This was to give it a bit of life.

sorWTOv.jpg

WnBsgoN.jpg

PoPNt8G.jpg

ZHqp4E1.jpg

Then, using the usual rods and profiles,I started adding some details to the main wing fold. It's a time consuming job, as there aresome parts partially hidden inthe pictures and I had to do a lot of cross reference.

Su3qIsp.jpg

4Yr1yQt.jpg

k4ArNW3.jpg

ejscyA1.jpg

uaZL6mQ.jpg

I know it isn't much, but Tomorrow I may add some more detail. For now that's it.

I end with a picture of the project components.

xYGp8tK.jpg

Good night 

Massimo

• Like 15

Gannet wing fold is about as bonkers as it gets - right up there with Sea King blade fold.  I have some detail photos of a folded Gannet in the FAA Museum; let me know if you’d like them (or did I post them when you last worked on this)?

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, 71chally said:

Just a little bit of pipe work to go now!

:banghead::angry::drunk::puke::wall:

I think this picture shows why I'll be working step by step!!!

Tonight I'll do something more!

Thank you all for the nice comments!!!:thumbsup:

What may beof help are pictures showing the access ladders sed for the Gannet, like the red one shown in the picture below

lXWcctt.jpg

Edited by Massimo
  • Like 4

Hi all,

Tonight I went on with the main wing-fold detail starting to build the two frames at the centre of the middle section. Their shape is a bit tricky, they're a sort of box, so I started by cutting the front sides, and the bottom ones , then I glued them togethr and added the other sides, which seem to be angled. 

cYywadx.jpg

5NLCXwi.jpg

This is a dry fit test. They looked ok at the beginning, but with the added thickness of the sides they look a bit too big. I'll let them dry overnight and Tomorrow I'll sand them to reduce them a bit. 

qKt2krD.jpg

xJh1MUh.jpg

Let's see Tomorrowthen.

Good night!

• Like 11

On 2/4/2020 at 6:47 PM, Massimo said:

What may beof help are pictures showing the access ladders sed for the Gannet, like the red one shown in the picture below

lXWcctt.jpg

I haven't missed this, there were two sets of ladders, one was the engine servicing ladder, and there was another one which allowed easier access to the radar cabin.

However finding good clear pictures is proving difficult, plus my Flickr has temporarily kicked me out!

I've just looked through the manuals and I can't believe that they don't show these ladders, everything else except them.   Can you post a close up of the area from that photo above?

This is probably the best I have and can't guarantee it's the same as for the AEW.

49498580521_92ce9ccafe_b.jpgGannet COD.4 XG790 by James Thomas, on Flickr

• Like 4

Hi maes,

tonight I went on detailling the middle section wingfold. For now It's enough, as most parts are done. Piping and rods will be added once the wings other sections are in place.

VMGm51w.jpg

1lGy10I.jpg

This left me with a big question mark, as I didn't know how strong the fit among the different sections would be, so I decided to try a dry fit test.

Iused two pieces of plastic rods fitted through the dedicated holes I hed previously drilled onthe middle wing sectionsand at the top of the fuselage.

ZwTftLM.jpg

sxzVgfO.jpg

L0j2Pac.jpg

Here below a few pictures of the dry fit test...I'm really surprised and quite happy with the result, as the assembly seems really robust and won't need any addition of metal pins. Glue will do the trick.

HhMvktH.jpg

F16Ut41.jpg

05aiA9o.jpg

bVlZgcA.jpg

0xpliua.jpg

klIsxpU.jpg

pRERqJP.jpg

gRm8Fuc.jpg

9DKvgoX.jpg

dfYMx5d.jpg

S2DLDDq.jpg

I think  some paint work willbe needed soon!

Thanks for watching!

Good night!

Edited by Massimo
  • Like 14

Hi Massimo - setting up a Gannet  wing fold is not an easy task but you have all the angles of each section looking perfect - scratch built wing fold details are fabulous - really looking forward to seeing this one completed and parked next to the Buccaneer

CJP

• Thanks 1