Ark Royal's last cruise -Phantom FG1:Tractor and base close to completion

Massimo

Stunning work on the wingfolds, I looked at the fold images and it looks like there is a row of holes for cover plates, it's a long time since I worked on them, so can't say yes or no but maybe in service, the plates could well have been removed/left off.

Colin

• Like 1

Good evening!

A small update.

S0kTHDi.jpg
I've detailed the second wing and I've added a back plate in their middle section.

FgFNIr2.jpg

2JJin7L.jpg

QVHa9sR.jpg

Now some more  dry fit test...

Tomorrow I'll drill some holes ,and add some detail which will be visible through the front plate's holes ,as seen on th pictures posted by James, and then I'll add the front pre drilled plates.

Tonight dinner with some friends, thus ....no more work!!!

Tomorrow is another day!!!

Ciao 

Massimo

• Like 11

14 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

This is superb stuff; very inspiring - if you can make it look this good in 1/72, then it makes me feel a lot less worried about doing it in 1/48!

Crisp, Massimo makes this stuff looking so easy - but I suspect it's not ... :frantic::D:D

Ciao

• Haha 3

Giorgio, I know for sure that it’s not!  [Search for a long-stalled 1/48 Barracuda build if you doubt me...  The Barra will return, but I stringly suspect I’ll start again because of the amount I have learned since that build...]

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Giorgio, I know for sure that it’s not!  [Search for a long-stalled 1/48 Barracuda build if you doubt me...  The Barra will return, but I stringly suspect I’ll start again because of the amount I have learned since that build...]

I've got a Barracuda in my stash and when its time comes, it'll be a folded wings' one !!!

Edited by massimo2
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Ta Crisp

(you will of course remember that the Buccaneer is getting folds

As is the Sea Vixen... )

Busy mining Matchbox plastic out of the outer wingery as we 'speak'

There's a recess to recess

:)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ta Crisp

(you will of course remember that the Buccaneer is getting folds

As is the Sea Vixen... )

Busy mining Matchbox plastic out of the outer wingery as we 'speak'

There's a recess to recess

:)

Mmmhhhhh....my curiosity is increasing...any chance of a quick picture???

Hi everybody!

After a full day of fog and snow, today the sun was shining and it was the perfect day to go out on the snow, so I postponed my modelling and went out.

EoslTdZ.jpg

ZfZmzgH.jpg

mqCAmp0.jpg

This afternoon I spent some time modelling

avQ9YKW.jpg

y5hvEN9.jpg

First I drilled some holes in the back plate, then I cut a small panel from the wing's bottom side and I created a small framing box as shown in the picture below. 

ErSmWHj.jpg

WLD7fLp.jpg

Then I concentrated on the middle section central plate , that with those fantastic holes!!!:wall:

My first attempt to recreate  the plate was fine , but at the very end I broke it!!! :clap2::yahoo:It's the one at the top in the first picture above. So I used it as a template to drill the holes on the new ones. (bottom and right, still to be shaped).

cAV0xI8.jpg

JQqh0l0.jpg

Here it is, ready to be glued to the wing.

Yz7Ilib.jpg

this should be it, even if , after having looked at the pictures, I've identified a couple of areas to be refined, but first i'll let the glue set definitely.

pvXaFIo.jpg

XhBuAEZ.jpg

pWzqi4y.jpg

vnByTMo.jpg

And finally the umpteenth dry-fit test.

This is it for today. That plate was a real pain in the .......

Anyway , once brought thesecond wing to the same point, the real fun will start, as the first wing fold is gonna be a real nightmare, but this is what we're here for!!!

Ciao

Massimo

Edited by massimo2
  • Like 13

Oh my

I think I will just go back in time, find your address and just post my wings to you for magic to be performed

That wing end section is pretty damned wonderful and my colleagues herein will no doubt endorse this statement unreservedly

Wonderful, just wonderful...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, perdu said:

I think I will just go back in time, find your address and just post my wings to you for magic to be performed

I think when these wings are completed, I'll be ready for retirement in a monastery in Tibet!!!:drunk:

Edited by massimo2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Fantastic delicate work on those wing fold breaks - setting them all up in their folded state will be a challenge which I'm sure you will make look easy

CJP

Edited by CJP
  • Thanks 1

Another fine display of the jeweller's art Massimo.

Or should I call you the 'Cellini of the Wingfold?':D

This image:

cAV0xI8.jpg

..of a very small part with complicated irregular holes encapsulates the level of skill on show here.

Fantastic stuff!

Tony

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, perdu said:

That wing end section is pretty damned wonderful and my colleagues herein will no doubt endorse this statement unreservedly

:ditto: Outstanding! :worthy::clap:

And I love the snowy landscape too :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Stunning.  And extra marks for an Italian whose English is so good that he understands the word “umpteenth”!

...ehm.....You got me on that one...I must be honest.... every now and then :tmi: .... I double check for some words with Google translator!!!!:rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good afternoon,

YCKI355.jpg

VxmSFQC.jpg

this morning I catched up and brought the second wing to the same point as the first one, but then I had to stop, 'couse I felt very ...weak...

These wingfolds are killing me...:phew:

vah2BHR.jpg

0WAMOvm.jpg

...need some proteins!!!:rofl:

Ciao

Massimo

Edited by massimo2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, massimo said:

YCKI355.jpg

These wingfolds are killing me...:phew:

Ciao

Massimo

I kind of feel guilty for posting the photos up now!!

In seriousness, l enjoy sharing images just to see the superb work that people like yourself produce with the help of reference material.

Certainly very rewarding to see here, just wish that I could even approach such work!

Edit, just noticed that those molded in strengthening strips are depicted on the wing undersides, they should only be on the upper surfaces.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1