Ark Royal's last cruise -Phantom FG1:Tractor and base close to completion

Massimo

7 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I was born in Nottingham (a fair way from the sea) and brought up in Lincolnshire (deepest RAF-Land).  But I never even considered joining anything other than the Navy!

Look at this from a different perspective: you live on a big island :D

Sorry for the drift, Massimo :)

Ciao

• Haha 2

On 04/02/2018 at 6:15 PM, 71chally said:

Cracking work Massimo, that Bucc cockpit detail is superb.

The windscreen and canopy didn't have any offset, being central.

I have to agree with Perdu, the seats were offset 2 inches each, have never heard of them being angled.  That's not to say that they weren't.

IIRC the seats were angled (cant remember how much but not a lot)  the reason for this was to provide some seperation in the air between the seats on ejection (if both occupants ejected at the same time).one seat flew out to the left the other to the right.

The same problem was resolved on later 2 seat aircraft types by the design of the seat rocket pack, if you look carefully at the nozzles on these, the  nozzles on one side were slightly larger  on the front seat and on the opposite side on the rear seat giving slightly greater thrust on one side on the pack thus acheiving the same result.

Selwyn

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Selwyn said:

if you look carefully at the nozzles on these, the  nozzles on one side were slightly larger  on the front seat and on the opposite side on the rear seat giving slightly greater thrust on one side on the pack thus acheiving the same result.

OVFDAVZ.jpg

I've been trying very hard, but I can't really spot the difference!!!:rofl:

...forgive me, Selwyn , but when I opened the box and saw them, your words came to my mind!!!

Anyway you did a very good point, and I'll try to replicate this.

Do you know if they were angled also the other way...I mean were they facing perfectly forward or slightly angled aside on their vertical axis?

Now a small update before I go for dinner:

75fFWAN.jpg

With my personal "punch and die" I cut a disc of thin plastic card.

yD7tYHY.jpg

I shaped the end of a thick styrene strip and I glued the disc to it .I also glued a piece of rod a little higher. Once dried I'll drill a hole at the disc's center and cut the strip shorter.

FOpNlX2.jpg

Then I shaped another piece of plastic card to what I caught from the picture in my possess. I know , it's offset to port ( I'm starting thinking everything around me is a little offset to port!!!:angry:)

ti2Lnuh.jpg

Just to do something different, I glued my B option for the nose cone...

voit7SP.jpg

9u7In1l.jpg

...being my A option a tunnel without an end!!! (see previous pages )

...or may be it's just a little offset to port!!!!:rofl:

5L9FNNG.jpg

grFwLly.jpg

RPwyniq.jpg

Then I glued what will become the instrument panel to the starboard fuselage half.

:suicide:

Lb6Rdar.jpg

YKbVaSF.jpg

5BVovxJ.jpg

This is what it looks like with the fuselage halves together.

...Before I go...I just realized....

I FORGOT TO DRILL THE HOLE FOR THE STICK!!!!!:suicide::wall::swear::headbang::angry:

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, massimo said:

OVFDAVZ.jpg

I've been trying very hard, but I can't really spot the difference!!!:rofl:

...forgive me, Selwyn , but when I opened the box and saw them, your words came to my mind!!!

Anyway you did a very good point, and I'll try to replicate this.

Do you know if they were angled also the other way...I mean were they facing perfectly forward or slightly angled aside on their vertical axis?

Now a small update before I go for dinner:

75fFWAN.jpg

yD7tYHY.jpg

I shaped the end of a thick styrene strip and I glued the disc to it .I also glued a piece of rod a little higher. Once dried I'll drill a hole at the disc's center and cut the strip shorter.

FOpNlX2.jpg

Then I shaped another piece of plastic card to what I caught from the picture in my possess. I know , it's offset to port ( I'm starting thinking everything around me is a little offset to port!!!:angry:)

ti2Lnuh.jpg

Just to do something different, I glued my B option for the nose cone...

voit7SP.jpg

9u7In1l.jpg

...being my A option a tunnel without an end!!! (see previous pages )

...or may be it's just a little offset to port!!!!:rofl:

5L9FNNG.jpg

grFwLly.jpg

RPwyniq.jpg

Then I glued what will become the instrument panel to the starboard fuselage half.

:suicide:

Lb6Rdar.jpg

YKbVaSF.jpg

5BVovxJ.jpg

This is what it looks like with the fuselage halves together.

I FORGOT TO DRILL THE HOLE FOR THE STICK!!!!!:suicide::wall::swear::headbang::angry:

I was actually talking about the real seat rocket pack!:tmi:

http://www.ejectorseats.co.uk/mk9oafunder.gif

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn

8 minutes ago, massimo said:

Hey, that's exactly like mine! :thumbsup:

The IP is just brilliant :clap:

Ciao

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, massimo said:

Don't worry Massimo - it's obligatory to overlook the obvious when working in such enthralling detail at this scale.

I realized earlier that I've actually lost the sticks for my Boxcar, so long is it since I went looking for a kit part...:lol:

• Haha 1

You have NOT missed the hole for the stick

The stick pokes OUT of the bottom of the instrument panel, its a push/pull, twist left and right contraption

There is another of those drawn articles like my other on page 15 ish of my build that explains it nicely

I will get onto my PC and pop it in here for you

8 hours ago, perdu said:

The stick pokes OUT of the bottom of the instrument panel

7 hours ago, perdu said:

Just drill the hole through your pedestal

That's exactly my problem, as the stick hole should have been drilled (ORIZONTALLY!!!:suicide::angry::wall::swear::headbang: ) at the center of the disk glued to front of the dedicated extension below the instrument panel.

QkdqyMs.jpg

YyTK5ds.jpg

Now the bulkhead is in the way and the only chance is to drill an angled hole!

I think  I'll try an attempt from the back...but getting it to the center at the front is another story!!!

Now I'll go back to page 15 in you topic, as I'm  really curious to know how she turned, as I thought it was done by te stick, even if it's position was unusual!!!

Bythe way , a small update:

last night , before going to bed, I decided the time had come to add the coaming ( Attaboy!!!:clap:).

dZ4RBU4.jpg

6CcCHbO.jpg

So I cut a plasticard square and glued it to the starboard fuselage half.

UMcpRvh.jpg

Having to leave it overnight to dry, I went on by glueing these...they'll be more fun later in the build!!!

bGISgmo.jpg

OyOEV5m.jpg

This morning I shaped it to match with the port fuseage half and then I closed the two halves together and held them in position with tape.

EppI0n7.jpg

then I cut this part out of thicker styrene, to be glued at the bottom of the coaming to  reinforce it and keep its shape nce the fuseage halves will be separated.

cQ0k748.jpg

Then, from the inside, I glued everything with Tamiya geen cap,which will get to the recesses. I did my best not to allow any glue onto the port fuselage half...fingers crossed!!!

ciao

Massimo

Now I only have to go to work and when I come back, I'll see how things have gone.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, massimo said:

last night , before going to bed, I decided the time had come to add the coaming ( Attaboy!!!:clap:).

You sure learn fast :D  :D Nice job with the coaming, what's the thickness of the styrene you used there?

Ciao

• Like 1

Massimo I did mean drill it from the front

Without the radome you had lovely access for the drill, straight in, no missing!

I think the coaming is just a thin metal cover over the instruments, you will need to thin the visible edges

S'looking very good, hope you managed to keep the other half loose overnight

• Like 1

1 hour ago, giemme said:

what's the thickness of the styrene you used there?

...thin enough!:huh:

37 minutes ago, perdu said:

Without the radome you had lovely access for the drill, straight in, no missing!

...well...no missing sounds a bit optimistic, but it's the only thing to do now, so...I'll go for it!!!:hobbyhorse:

39 minutes ago, perdu said:

I think the coaming is just a thin metal cover over the instruments, you will need to thin the visible edges

I preferred to glue and shape it first, then I'll cut to shape the front edge, which is a bit irregular, and finally I'll thin it down.:nerdy:

• Like 3

On 6/2/2018 at 11:27, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Naval aircraft have Observers; the Navigator is some Fish-Head bloke on the bridge of the ship.

I should have known since I'm reading the very good book shown earlier and in it, referring to Buccaneer crew ,they mention "Observers" or "Lookers"!!!:blush:

• Like 1

"Looker" is the standard slang name.  At least, the polite one.  

"Talking Ballast".  

"200lb of wasted fuel".  

And others less suitable for a family show…  [For balance, I speak as the son of a proud Swordfish & Barracuda Looker, who usually referred to the Observer as "the brains of the outfit".  Since his pilot married his sister, he should know!]

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

"Looker" is the standard slang name.  At least, the polite one.  

"Talking Ballast".  

"200lb of wasted fuel".  

And others less suitable for a family show…  [For balance, I speak as the son of a proud Swordfish & Barracuda Looker, who usually referred to the Observer as "the brains of the outfit".  Since his pilot married his sister, he should know!]

...this looks a bit like Google Transator...it gives you several different translations!!!

I have to say my culture is growing worringly!!!:smartass:

Anyway my favourite is "200lb of wasted fuel"

I think it says it all!!!:rofl:

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Courageous said:

A lot of good work going into your tub there Massimo, better than my effort.:yes:

Thank you, but I think yours is stunning! 

Now I think the time has come for me to start thinking about the seats. I tried the link   http://www.ejectorseats.co.uk but I'm not able to search the seats types as I used to do a while ago...I remember you could chose by aircraft type, but now...no way.

Could anyone give me some clues about seats dimensions or references please?

Edited by massimo2
  • Thanks 1

Good evening,

just come back from work (it's 6,30 here in Cyprus!)

wuRHnez.jpg

we were here...with a biiiiiiig question mark!!! (I think now I know what crosses your mind after aestetic surgery!!!) :worry:

I slowly removed the bits of tape and....:tmi:

mj38zfr.jpg

...well...ok, I was expecting something like this as Tamiya green cap tends to melt things down ( well...this is what we expect from her!!!)

Anyway it's nothing major. a bit of filing aand sanding and it should be ok.

And now let's try to open the box...

58cvLql.jpg

DA DAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!:yahoo:

v2l9Ags.jpg

I couldn't wait to try to remove the damage and I think it's ok. I'll sand a bit more tomorrow, as things are still a bit...jelly in here!!!

Y25q6Y3.jpg

pqWxJwa.jpg

V0G7lju.jpg

dLedIrj.jpg

3j4EPDK.jpg

3hgmMKH.jpg

jQp4cv9.jpg

To be honest, I couldn't hope for a better result!!!

E5BkEeI.jpg

Now it's time for her to rest some more hours!!!

qLuTSWg.jpg

She deserves a good company!!!

:wait:Wait a second...let me check something else...

FgGApa2.jpg

QZ6C5wZ.jpg

...yes, I'm definitely happy!!!:yahoo:

I can go for dinner now!!!

Ciao

Massimo

Edited by massimo2
  • Like 10

Great job, Massimo! :clap: I asked about the styrene thickness because it seemed a bit too thick for the coaming, but since you are going to sand it back, I'm sure it will look just perfect :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Looking very fine Massimo

Seats look a bit like this for the S2

P1130291.jpg

I found lots of references for these, far fewer for the seats in the S1

I think mine are a trifle thick at the back and would have trimmed off a slice or two of the tubes and frame at the back if I had kept the S2 in mind

P1130294.jpg

You see, far too much stuff back there   

• Like 4