Ark Royal's last cruise -Phantom FG1:Tractor and base close to completion

Massimo

On 1/3/2018 at 12:42 PM, massimo said:

d9YO70c.jpg

The price was around 9 US$ but I had to spend another 35 for delivery...so I went to bed!!!:rofl:

This morning I checked again nd there was another one at the price of...19,99Euros +...4,50 for transport!!!:yahoo:

So I got it!!!

Massimo

Another really good book on Ark Royal is 'Britain's Greatest Warship: HMS Ark Royal IV'

Not so good as a picture reference but superb first hand accounts, from building to scrapping, stoking to flying, of this great ship.  Can be got for about £5.00 if you look around.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Britains-Greatest-Warship-HMS-Royal/dp/0750925043

• Like 1

Hi James,

I've got that book and it's very good!!!

Now a small update

RXASpLN.jpg

3cUTzpj.jpg

FZREhps.jpg

IzY1EdU.jpg

wfuIDRA.jpg

Tonight I started detailling the port (port- starboard...nobody can stop me now!!!B)) wheel bay, which has got a different layout.

jsEMsBb.jpg

ZwTftLM.jpg

9JztP0F.jpg

Then I fitted two pieces of steel wire in the dedicated housingd on the fuselage, to start checking the wings positioning.These are just temporary ones to see if they could be strong enough to hold the wings' weight.

4o7R9ww.jpg

h6mQ07Y.jpg

tFC0dfF.jpg

CA1Wcye.jpg

qH2gt41.jpg

I think this system will ensure a strong holding system for the folded wings.

That's it for noow.

Good night!

Massimo

Edited by massimo2
  • Like 14

8 minutes ago, massimo said:

port- starboard...nobody can stop me now!!!B)

:rofl::rofl: Nobody can, you're right :D

Excellent progress, she's really taking shape :clap:

Ciao

• Haha 1

Superb!  

Now you've mastered Port & Starboard, let's see what else we can cook up for you.

Aft = back

For'd = front (aircraft don't have bows!).

When you start throwing in words like "athwartships", my work will be done...  

• Haha 3

53 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Superb!  

Now you've mastered Port & Starboard, let's see what else we can cook up for you.

Aft = back

For'd = front (aircraft don't have bows!).

sounds like a real challange!!!B)

Let's go for it!!!:yahoo:

Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;Aft-back For'd-front;:smartass::phew:

• Haha 3

Hi Guys, a question for the well informed: 

I've just received an email from Airfix and this can be booked on pre-order:

A04063.1.jpg

A04063.2.jpg

It's HAR3. Could it be the right version for the Seaking on board the Ark?

Picture's copyright belongs to Airfix.

Edited by massimo2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Now you're playing really hard on poor Massimo... :D:D:D

(and myself, for what it matters; finding a translation for that word wasn't that easy ... :chair:)

Ciao

• Haha 2

Others (Crisp!) can give a more exhaustive answer than me, but there are some differences between the RAF HAR.3 and Navy HAS.2, but should be reasonably ok to convert.

The last cruise had HAS.2s aboard.

Obvious differences for me are the window arrangements, the port side of the HAS.2 only has the one cabin window, the middle one at the aft edge of the sponson.

The stb'd side only has the fwd, and the cabin door windows.   

The bulged rear observation windows were only fitted to the RAF HAR.3 & 3A and the port side of HC.4s.

The HAS.1 had the five blade tail rotor, and that type is included in the kit.

Obviously there are various added on aerials and sensors to look out for, but nothing too tricky!

The same kit is already in circulation in a different box, https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/westland-sea-king-har-3-1-72.html

But, use the upright FOD deflector in front of the engines

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

The decision was taken and tonight I glued the wings' tops to the fuselage halves.

ruPRQdO.jpg

I used the drawings from the warpaint volume dedicated to the Gannet, looking for the correct dihedral.

h6qKGUY.jpg

Noknf9Z.jpg

There's a difference in shape between the  wings' profile and their counterpart on the fuselage halves, ths I filled the gap with stirene profile.

Good night

Massimo

• Like 9

Wow!

Impressive work, scratch building is something that I really admire and this is a master class in updating / improving a kit.

• Like 1

Looking good, very good Massimo, great work on the wing folds and you're grasping 'fishead speak' quite well. Fishhead, derogatory term for a memeber of the ships company, no matter what branch. Meanwhile the air unit were know as WAFU's, acronym for 'wet and flipping usless', as it took us a long time to navigate the below deck passageway of any carrier.

A few more for you, bulkhead = wall, deckhead = ceiling, porthole = scuttle over which was secured a deadlight or as we used to call it, the iron curtain...

Colin (ex WAFU and proud to be so...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good evening everybody,

A few pictures from tonight progress:

Yesterday I glued the wings' top sections to the fuselage halves. Tonight I started detailing their folding area by adding two back plates to them.This will be the back wall.

First I shaped two strips of plastic card to replicate the back plates and I glued them at the wings' end.

FXUzmWt.jpg

je9Gx5L.jpg

RluXhKR.jpg

aGhZGjM.jpg

Once dried, I shaped the bottom edge, referring to the wings' bottom parts, which I also adapted to their counterparts onto the fuselage halves.

bDrclTj.jpg

tTUL1G0.jpg

R30NIee.jpg

ELi0R8i.jpg

gsxLpTk.jpg

3ca1TqV.jpg

ZUKfVZk.jpg

GwVBkGz.jpg

I also added some cyano acrilate to the wings' junction to the fuselage  halves and sanded it down to a smooth finish.

psPFSqO.jpg

eipHufA.jpg

The last thing I did , was to drill some holes at the front,. They'll be visible through some bigger holes on the front plate.

ZZCAQBV.jpg

Now I'm quite tired and I'll concentrate on practicing all new words I've got to learn!!!:rofl:

Thanks to all my tutors!!!:yes:

Ciao

Massimo

Edited by massimo2
  • Like 9

Lee = downwind; leeward = opposite of windward.  Lee can also, by extension, mean “shelter from wind” - as in “in the lee of Rame Head”, meaning that RH was acting as a barrier between you and the wind.

Starboard is a corruption of “steer board”; ancient ships (I mean Greek / Egyptian / Roman, not HMS Belfast!) didn’t have a rudder that we would recognise, because they had sterns that went upwards like a warped canoe, so no stern post on which to hang a rudder.  They were steered by something that looked like an oar (& is sometimes referred to as a ‘steering oar’); it was always on the right hand side of the ship, presumably because most people are right handed.  So the “steering board” side of the ship was the right.  

The old-fashioned “larboard” (which disappeared for the reasons Dave Swindell says: you don’t really want your helmsman to reply “Hard a-what?” when you give a steering order!) is a similar corruption, of “lee board”.  See “lee” above, though the connection is tenuous.

If your rudder / steering oar is on the right hand side of the vessel, you don’t want to smash it against a wall in harbour, so you put the opposite, left, side of the boat alongside the harbour wall... or port wall.  Hence, “port side” of the ship.  

Nautical language is immensely complicated.  But then so is aero-nautical language.  Who else uses words like “aileron”, “empennage”, “nacelle”, “frise”, “auto-rotate”... even “undercarriage”?

Lovely Fairey-wings, Massimo!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

35 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

The old-fashioned “larboard” (which disappeared for the reasons Dave Swindell says: you don’t really want your helmsman to reply “Hard a-what?” when you give a steering order!)

Just to expand on this, it's disapearance is relatively recent, larboard would have been in regular use in Nelson's navy. The prime reason for the need for change was the advent of the motor ship. Sailing ship helm orders, if not referring to a compass course, would be all given in respct to the relative wind direction felt by the ship (helmsman), such as "luff up", "bear away","tack" and "wear ship" and sightings would be given to windward or leeward (pronounced loo'ard). With the advent of motor, wind direction became much less relevant, and the actual position of the rudder in the propeller slipstream (wash) became much more important eg Port 10, meaning 10 degrees of rudder to port ( adn not "left hand down a bit")!

35 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

“lee board”

Lee board, a lifting temporary keel lowered when under sail to stop the vessel making leeway (drifting downwind). Confusingly in relation to larboard, can be fitted to either or generally both sides of the vessel, but only the lee side board would be used.

51 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Who else uses words like “aileron”, “empennage”, “nacelle”

That would be the French...:whistle:

Apologies for the nautical thread drift @massimo, there's some amazing Ganneteering going on around here as well, watching with avid interest for when I get round to my Gannets.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1