Ark Royal's last cruise -Phantom FG1:Tractor and base close to completion

Massimo

These are looking so good and I look forward to seeing them parked in a diorama setting - if space is an issue for a large deck base as mentioned on your first page then individual bases that fit together might work - anyway I guess that is a long way off yet - watching with interest

CJP

Edited by CJP
text
  • Thanks 1

Hi Guys,

Tonight I couldn't go to sleep without attempting some more glueing!

So here's what I did:

L1IKKrN.jpg

Cockpit and seats first...they look not bad at all!!!

3Q94iPx.jpg

On this one the wing-fold won't take me that longas on the Gannet!!!

Qd753U5.jpg

C1SXUgV.jpg

Tail glued to one fuselage half.

iQCHNKB.jpg

Nose air intakes. They'll have to be sanded a bit, but thats work for Tomorrow!

K0gVKjm.jpg

And finally a dry-test. I don't think she'll need much filling and sanding!!!

I can call the day now.

Good night!!!

Massimo

• Like 10

Massimo. i’m sure you know this, but that ILS antenna on the side of the tail needs to come off; RN Tooms didn’t have it.  I’m sure correcting Airfix’s minor errors still counts as OOB!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Courageous said:

:rofl2:...that's what @giemme said, you guys just can't help yourselves!

Must be something in the water ... :rofl:

Going full speed on the Toom, Massimo! :frantic:  :clap: 

Ciao

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Massimo. i’m sure you know this, but that ILS antenna on the side of the tail needs to come off; RN Tooms didn’t have it.  I’m sure correcting Airfix’s minor errors still counts as OOB!

Of course it counts!!!

I don't know the subject and all info about inccuracyor modifications to do is welcomed!!!

• Like 2

Hi mates,

asmall update.

C1SXUgV.jpg

Jt8e2OL.jpg

First of all the ILS antennas came off the tail!

uW56ziP.jpg

Bt5iJyO.jpg

mZv9PGU.jpg

Then I concentrated on tose area which must be dealt with before closing the fuselage. I don't know what this bay is , but the kit instructions recommend to paint the inside silver, thus I painted it black and I dry-brushed with silver, to give it some sort of depth.

NOBODY WILL EVER SEE IT AGAIN!!!

GJxx2HU.jpg

gSnni6e.jpg

kEcvVs5.jpg

eg0h5uY.jpg

XXxABk9.jpg

I glued the bays' doors, then painted them black and finally red. It was then time to glue the bay to the bottom of the fuselge.

N5xJajo.jpg

KXpMtNk.jpg

eyZ8pAR.jpg

FPC0mZM.jpg

od2QvqG.jpg

toiU4aQ.jpg

The intakes were given a black base, followed by a coat of white. They were masked with Tamiya tape and sprayed EDSG.

GycREVw.jpg

d6Xm2dC.jpg

6gVK1Zl.jpg

3hoFrDa.jpg

BNn9Vp7.jpg

n8XtNMv.jpg

GTDQPdD.jpg

The intakes tunnels' interior received the same treatment.

K4AM0Yp.jpg

TJ0glHG.jpg

fSlRcz8.jpg

1Qy4can.jpg

PhJf0Lc.jpg

f0VuN7B.jpg

6KZF40j.jpg

Y9WNLOy.jpg

Looking at some pictures of the intakes, I spotted two pitots and so I decided to make them out of some plastic rod, leaving a long support to be able to handle them. I drilled a hole on each intake and glued the pitots. Tomorrow I'll cut the supports, file and sand the intakes' outside.Then they'll be ready to be glued to the fuselage halves.

Rb6RFu2.jpg

u6iiF1L.jpg

The engines were painted black first then dry-brushed with silver.....

NOBODY WILL EVER SEE THEM AGAIN!!!

That's it for today!

Good night!!!!😴

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, massimo said:

Hi mates,

asmall update.

C1SXUgV.jpg

Jt8e2OL.jpg

First of all the ILS antennas came off the tail!

uW56ziP.jpg

Bt5iJyO.jpg

mZv9PGU.jpg

Then I concentrated on tose area which must be dealt with before closing the fuselage. I don't know what this bay is , but the kit instructions recommend to paint the inside silver, thus I painted it black and I dry-brushed with silver, to give it some sort of depth.

GJxx2HU.jpg

gSnni6e.jpg

kEcvVs5.jpg

eg0h5uY.jpg

XXxABk9.jpg

I glued the bays' doors, then painted them black and finally red. It was then time to glue the bay to the bottom of the fuselge.

N5xJajo.jpg

KXpMtNk.jpg

eyZ8pAR.jpg

FPC0mZM.jpg

od2QvqG.jpg

toiU4aQ.jpg

The intakes were given a black base, followed by a coat of white. They were masked with Tamiya tape and sprayed EDSG.

GycREVw.jpg

d6Xm2dC.jpg

6gVK1Zl.jpg

3hoFrDa.jpg

BNn9Vp7.jpg

n8XtNMv.jpg

GTDQPdD.jpg

The intakes tunnels' interior received the same treatment.

K4AM0Yp.jpg

TJ0glHG.jpg

fSlRcz8.jpg

PhJf0Lc.jpg

f0VuN7B.jpg

6KZF40j.jpg

Y9WNLOy.jpg

Looking at some pictures of the intakes, I spotted two pitots and so I decided to make them out of some plastic rod, leaving a long support to be able to handle them. I drilled a hole on each intake and glued the pitots. Tomorrow I'll cut the supports, file and sand the intakes' outside.Then they'll be ready to be glued to the fuselage halves.

Rb6RFu2.jpg

u6iiF1L.jpg

The engines were painted black first then dry-brushed with silver.....

NOBODY WILL EVER SEE THEM AGAIN!!!

That's it for today!

Good night!!!!😴

Edited by massimo2
  • Like 3

Hi fellas,

yesterday I glued the air intakes and last night I cut the pitots supports and sanded their outside.

EBWodek.jpg

8WvpTFl.jpg

Then I decided to go for a plan change.

All the pictures I've seen show the Phantoms parked on opposite side of the Buccaneers,The Gannets could be parked on either side of the deck aside both.

I've never seen any picture of a flight line like the one here below.

9lizPao.jpg

Considering that the Airfix, among others offers the option "ready for take off" with flaps and slats out, I thought it would be better to represent it on the cat, and have the Gannet and Buccaneer on a different base , parked at the rear of the flight deck.

Another option could be to represent the back... slice of the flight deck in all its width with Buccaneer and Gannet on the right.... ehm starboard side and the Phantom on the left...ehm port side. something similar the picture below:

xzlifzm.jpg 

n4tsgC3.jpg

To do this it might be better to use the Fujimi kit,with the Airfix folded wing tips.

For this reason I decided to remove the folded wing tips and glue the one with the slats out.

K0gVKjm.jpg

5OgrkAF.jpg

Suggestions are welcomed

Ciao

Massimo

Edited by Massimo
  • Like 7

Hello Massimo - these two photos came from a cheap book on Aircraft Carriers I picked up years ago - the only thing good about the book was these photos - I don't know the photo credits but maybe official MOD photos? - unfortunately the Buccaneer photo spread across the centreline of  the book but still has interesting detail for a diorama ideas

IMG-7935.jpgIMG-7936.jpg

CJP

• Like 5

1 hour ago, CJP said:

Hello Massimo - these two photos came from a cheap book on Aircraft Carriers I picked up years ago - the only thing good about the book was these photos - I don't know the photo credits but maybe official MOD photos? - unfortunately the Buccaneer photo spread across the centreline of  the book but still has interesting detail for a diorama ideas

CJP

I love the first one! I've thought a couple of  several about the lift scenario, but I can't stand aircraft with a bent nose!!!

Thanks for the support!!!!:thumbsup:

• Like 2

Hi folks,

small update on my last works done.First of all, I decided to depict the Airfix Pantom while on the cat, ready for launch.

ZFvz5js.jpg

oTi2en9.jpg

To do this I had to remove the elevators, insert previously glued to the fuselage halves' interior and replace them with the angled ones.

d37mLie.jpg

NpFJhhP.jpg

jGFJCJL.jpg

Finally I glued flaps and slats in the extended position.

48QnL3G.jpg

2YAIKFP.jpg

k73RUEX.jpg

YX7lSdt.jpg

xXoLh9l.jpg

y9rxsc9.jpg

Then I concectrated on a the Buccaneer. Helped by my "Rosie the riveter", I added some rivets to the airbrakes and to the elevator. I sparyed a coat of black,followed by a lighter blueish grey , dry brushed. It was a test to see if these parts needed any additional attention. EDSG was last, made lighter in some places by addition of a touch of white. I think EDSG by Gunze is a bit on the dark side in this scale could be replaced by a lighter DSG. It's worth a try!

pvQoYsd.jpg

I intended to do something more, but my Treasure wanted to watch TV and thus.....I said the only thing I could think of...

"Of course my darling!"

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 9

Looking good Massimo, I do like the work on the Phantom. Those little doors under the fus, are extra air intakes for the engine on start up. So I was told...

I was thinking of buying the newish Airfix kit but I think I may just stick with the Fujimi offering. The Airifx kit looks soft in the detail.

Bucc is looking good too...

Colin

• Like 1

Hi fellas,

last night Ifinally spent some with the airbrush.

br4ZV2B.jpg

aJaeQYl.jpg

I sprayed a lighter shade of grey to give volume to the elevator's volume and then I highlighted the panel lines with the Tamiya wash.

NV72q6U.jpg

The airbrake was treated with the same Tamiya wash and dry brushed with a lighter grey.

XeyHlqR.jpg

tqkmYhy.jpg

zUwzBGO.jpg

I'll have to paint the aircraft n° on the airbrakes' inside and spray a lighter grey on the outside to create some contrast between shade and light.

...May be tonight...

And now the Gannet:

pvQoYsd.jpg

Two nights ago I had painted black the folding wings' middle sections. 

Y2vvINh.jpg

7FVUGWt.jpg

cNXSYkQ.jpg

L789nhH.jpg

qwzSlqb.jpg

I started by spraying a coat of sky, then I shaded the panel lines with interior green and then another coat of very diluted sky to smooter the shades down. The Tamiya brown wash followed to bring the panel lines out, I removed the excess with a brush and some white spirit.

E65nZhl.jpg

dGjv4dl.jpg

j1GNxFA.jpg

Before painting the Gannet's folded wings' outer sections, I had to fit the landing lights. By using a drill, I tried to create the light bulb at the glass' back, I painted the interior silver and I glued the transparents to whe wing sections.

Then I went to bed!

Tonight I should be able to spend some time on more painting. 
We'll keep in touch.

Ciao

Massimo

Edited by massimo2
  • Like 4