Ark Royal's last cruise -Phantom FG1:Tractor and base close to completion

Massimo

2 hours ago, CJP said:

Massimo its good to see you back on this Ark Royal CAG project - that Buccaneer is sooo neat

CJP

Agreed! Bentornato Massimo :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 1

Thanks guys!

I remembered one month ago I had done a couple of parts and hadn't posted the pictures.

Here they are:

wYhKR1L.jpg

jFsXebW.jpg

Jj5CvEG.jpg

z6jvzOP.jpg

sZq54Bt.jpg

This morning I started working on the port(.....???correct? I'm a biit rusty on this!!!) wingfold. 

2E1tLkI.jpg

xu0KoCD.jpg

y4hMK1D.jpg

About the slipper tank, While I checked my references for the wingfold, I noticed there are some differences withthe resin one I fitted. I know there were two types and this is he longer one, but If anybody's got better info about it...please come forward!!!

Thanks

Massimo

• Like 10

Welcome back Massimo!

Nice to see a little more progress on this one. It looks as though you're going to your usual lengths on detailing the wing folds. Great stuff. Oh, and yes, left is port!

I too should be back modeling soon. I move into my new apartment on 27th ( a week today) so hope to be at the bench again very soon.

Ian

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, massimo said:

I know there were two types and this is he longer one,

The long tank was only used by the SAAF on the Buccaneer S50.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZN5uvV-lvSpiTJuklzcB

The tanks used by the FAA and RAF were the same length but had different fairings where it joined he leading edge of the wing. This change was a result of pitch-up accidents on launch from the carrier being caused by airflow issues with the tanks.

43f69842c62e64e26b94f9745016f5aa.jpg

2hnxb0j.jpg

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

The long tank was only used by the SAAF on the Buccaneer S50.

The tanks used by the FAA and RAF were the same length but had different fairings where it joined he leading edge of the wing. This change was a result of pitch-up accidents on launch from the carrier being caused by airflow issues with the tanks.

Your timing is perfect , as usual, Richard!!!

Thanks!

Good morning,

23 hours ago, Courageous said:

Will be interesting to see if you have any problems in fitting the u/c doors correctly like it did with the Airfix kit.

Courageous words started travelling in my mind and thus I decided I could abandon temporarily the wingfolds to start working on the model's final posture, which means ...the landing gears. I needed to see if the original gear's dimension could do , considering that I rebuilt the gear bays.

7DFpyC7.jpg

I cut the wheels and inserted a layer of plastic card as they looked a little too thin. 

qL1r0nM.jpg

Ft1vP2o.jpg

I glued the main gear legs and dryfitted the wheels to them. I also removed the location pins and in their place on the legs' head I drilled two holes.

6m9Uik2.jpg

UPzcwaX.jpg

jiUrwkx.jpg

F03yP04.jpg

I drilled two holes on the legs' fulcrum shaft in the wells, passing through the wing to fix two metal pins which will ensure a strong fixing point for the gear legs without any glue. This will allow me to do some trials and correct the legs' length if necessary, to give the kit the correct height and posture. To make these pins I cut two bits of stainless welding rod and I fixed them which with Super Attack (cyanoacrilate). Of course everything is very...crude, no detail at this stage. 

2B7gayd.jpg

Dry fitted the gear legs .

ZK33gw3.jpg

9TCrmgU.jpg

gWj3FRH.jpg

And this is what Courageous meant. At the moment the door needs a little....help to get into place and no glue to hold it there, but I'm sure a little fiddling here and there will do the trick.

njCYpVB.jpg

koOP9sR.jpg

And finally a bit of show. I added all the tail elevator , intake covers, seats , windshield and canopy to see what she looks like and now I'll compare the last picture to my references to see if the gears legs need to be shortened.

That's it for now.

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 8

Hi fellas,

small update.

Having got involved with the landing gear legs, I thought to start working on one of them to add detail...well more than adding detail ...I've cut most of it and restarted from a couple of parts and added some scratch built or corrected.

7WtZImd.jpg

Xdy5AFf.jpg

W6Syvu8.jpg

RRlm8IH.jpg

I kept the leg's main element, re shaped the lower part and drilled the fulcrum hole for the shock absorber, then I made the cylinder rod from Aeroclub plastic tube. I added plastic rod pins .

L4Qypwr.jpg

u21JVZM.jpg

w3JDpnT.jpg

Then I added a small extension to the port plate and drilled a hole to match that on the cylinder rod.

8iwvqeP.jpg

Ltcnhho.jpg

I did the same to the starboard plate, then i added pins and dry tested it with the wheel.

xmmpc8k.jpg

Once happy with the temporary positioning, I removed the last plate , to finish it and added a spacer to simulate that moulded together with the wheel side plates. I know it's all just dry tested, but it's a long process but I don't want to rush things as these legs'll have to hold the kit's weight.

Enough for now.

Good night!!!

Massimo

• Like 9

Hi Guys,

last night I glued all main parts together and this morning I got a quite solid assemby. There are still somedetails mising and the wheel will need a bit of...lifting , but the base looks good enough to hold the kit and its length seems ok. Here below a few pictures.

zekP1ow.jpg

IZCtXMX.jpg

lcKHlf0.jpg

iJuxmAZ.jpg

A37SJ0T.jpg

dqycFWN.jpg

sEpFl9Z.jpg

WE1Q1uj.jpg

tWPnFls.jpg

Tonight I'll leave for a few days and next week I'll go to Austria and Croatia for my holidays, thus I won't be able to do any progress.

See you soon!

Massimo

• Like 8