Ark Royal's last cruise -Phantom FG1:Tractor and base close to completion

Massimo

13 hours ago, heloman1 said:

I was thinking of buying the newish Airfix kit but I think I may just stick with the Fujimi offering. The Airifx kit looks soft in the detail.

Colin

Hi Colin,

I love the Fujimi kit. The Airfix one 's got lots of parts, but to me they're even too many and you're obliged to lots of sanding for parts that coud have been done in one piece, like the wings' middle section.

The landing gears' doors have no detail at all. No problem for me as I like scratch building, but in the Fujimi kit's doors are much better.

Airfix could have included a couple of pilots too, as they're offering the flying or the take off option...

Anyway it's a nice kit which goes together  nicely.

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 1

Hi mates,

over the weekend, I did some painting work on various sub-assembly. The Gannet's wings had been previously painted sky and weathered with brown Tamiya wash to reveal the panel lines.

UO3sFnE.jpg

HMQcEZV.jpg

ifwFsph.jpg

xSuIQHP.jpg

xAUuCnO.jpg
I masked the undersides and I sprayed their top sides EDSG first, and then addd some white to enlighten some areas. Once dry, I sprayed a coat of Future clear gloss and washed them with Tamiya black panel lines accent wash.

pCUAbZK.jpg

jZFVXcu.jpg

EIOi4WK.jpg

Then I masked and sprayed the side folding systems light grey,

3Bv5Ijq.jpg

I washed them with Tamiya black wash...

U1Fh9dK.jpg

IbvzO6q.jpg

oo5S4O8.jpg

...and dry brushed a lighter grey and white.

Another coat of Future and they were ready for some decalling:

e5gm6oi.jpg

Roundels at the top...

2aduz6U.jpg

...and serials aat the bottom.

FWZs1Dt.jpg

yh0zroi.jpg

wYt9MaA.jpg

f3hG5Sq.jpg

wairev9.jpg

Another coat of Future to seal the decals and one of Xtracrilics matt clear.

6qGlupN.jpg

H2nyBql.jpg

After a few touches here and there, prayed a coat of Future, applied the decals on the propellers and then another coat of Future to seal them and one of Xtracrilics matt clear.

7L21ZyG.jpg

Mp5TDSt.jpg

s4vrD4K.jpg

The Buccaneer's elevator got masked and the silver inlet line was painted, as well as the front aand back....covers ...sensors...(???)...help please!!!

gCJ3TtN.jpg

Z2Nef8o.jpg

KWIStn6.jpg

I also cut two diamonds from two pieces of Tamiya tape to paint the white squares around the serials on the airbrakes inside. Some picture show them diamond shape, some  show them rectangular... I prefer this shape, but it all depends on the aircraft and period.

eWAYfRU.jpg

This is the resin Buddy-Buddy refuelling Pod by Freightdog.

qJ8Lvfy.jpg

This is the color I've chosen for it, but....all those stencils are a mistery to me!!!

Does anybody have any info about them? Help would be really appreciated!!!

That's it for now.

Good night!

Massimo

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, Courageous said:

You're not seriously thinking of stencilling of that 'buddy tank'...in 1/72 :mental:

I did put stencils on the Sabre's fuel tanks ................. just saying 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi  fellas,

I'm home with flue and last night and this morning I did some more work.

j1GNxFA.jpg

KZWwVuA.jpg

Last saturday I had glued the light at the front of the wings' outer sections. and the following night I had filed them down, sanded and polished wit a final touch of Future.

AVaZXjT.jpg

YdDIN83.jpg

eR1zB6R.jpg

Last night I sprayed them black first and then sky, followed by a coat of Future and a brown wash.

G3I7CVo.jpg

Oy33wLa.jpg

q0NCmYM.jpg

qcdNnDq.jpg

This morning I sprayed EDSG  and this time the pre-shading worked , then I sprayed the same colour thinned and with a touch of white to create some light effect, followed by a coat of Future. Once dry, I applied the roundels.I used the kit's decals, which seemed more accurate in size and colour than the Alley cat offer. The problem is they tend to wrinkle...which wasn't too bad for the roundels, but created some problems on the propellers.

NVZL5qx.jpg

KU6Glgb.jpg

bWDsonp.jpg

0pM7Jrq.jpg

FXQJimO.jpg

aFey2MA.jpg

I realized I had forgotten to paint the folding mechanism grey, so I did it after another coat of Future to lock the decals and careful masking including a piece of paper not to touch the roundels with Tamiya tape. After a black wash and light grey dry brushing, it was time for a final coat of matt varnish.

I may decide to go for a satin finish, as RN aircraft in this period were painted gloss , but the scale effect may require it a bit on the matt side, not to look toyish... I'll see at the end.

Now an update of the Buddy buddy refuelling tank, which isn't finished yet, but I want to focus attention on it , hoping sombody will turn out with some info about stencilling on it. 

QEIUgZo.jpg

I bought it at ModeLand in Oulton Broad together with the fuel tanks for the Buccaneer and some more stuff.

eWAYfRU.jpg

This is it , as it comes , with its pylon. (@Perdu: I was lucky enough not to have to struggle to build it from scratch, unlike other brave members....!!!!!)

1gk1CjF.jpg

Copyright Victor A. Pisani

This is the configuration and pose I'm depicting my Buccaneer.

qJ8Lvfy.jpg

The Buddy buddy POD could have been painted EDSG, but I chose this option to make it a bit more  colorful.

nGqMUKj.jpg

So I started by painting it...Black!

a99Y5S4.jpg

Then I painted it white, looking for some sort of pre-shading, which didn't work as now it was.....just white!!!!....

Dd4ThL4.jpg

Then I masked it and painted it Kaki green and light grey underside.

fQicxQD.jpg

I masked again and highlighted the panel lines with thinned white with a touch of black.

xUFc4S3.jpg

tzviMOs.jpg

Then it was time for a Tamiya wash (brown) , removed with ...my fingers! I tried to remove the wash with a brush or some paper, but in both cases it came off the panel lines, then I

tried to remove it with my finger and this does the trick leaving the wash inside and wiping perfectly the surface around!!!

FREITAG JUST REACTEEEEEDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!

6To7vbD.jpg

I painted grey the back bag and highlighted wit black wash.

And here I am now waiting for some info about stencilling to start looking for some decals.

xNc59cV.jpg

I found some black numbers and added the aircraft code inside the airbrakes and ended with a coat of matt clear .

So this is where I am now with the Gannet and Buccaneer builds: 

N5Iq9XK.jpg

5TyoysX.jpg

hFEHENi.jpg

Now I may call the day!

Let's see...

Ciao 

Massimo

• Like 12

Massimo, those look excellent.  I have some reference material re the Buddy refuelling pod at home (my Vixen FAW1 build is carrying one).  I’ll dig it out when I get home later today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Massimo - I had a look and found these photos I took in 2006 on a visit to the FAA Museum - they are not the clearest of photos but might get you started with stencil information - I'm sure someone will be able to provide better ones soon.

P1010301.jpgP1010302.jpgP1010303.jpgP1010320.jpgP1010321.jpg

CJP

• Like 1

Fantastic work!  As a confirmed FAA devotee it’s great to see your fabulous work recreating my favourite era!

I thought you might be interested in seeing some photos of my good friends model Ark Royal set as she was in 1976, so a similar period with the same aircraft.  I help him display it around the country, and yes it is radio controlled too!

Ark model

Ark model

Ark model

Ark model

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, CJP said:

Hi Massimo - I had a look and found these photos I took in 2006 on a visit to the FAA Museum - they are not the clearest of photos but might get you started with stencil information - I'm sure someone will be able to provide better ones soon.

CJP

They'reperfect! The color might be different(yellow) but I think the text should be the same. 

Of course I'm not pretending to read and follow the instructions on my model, but I'd like to find something similar .

Thanks very much!

Massimo

• Like 1

1 minute ago, massimo said:

They'reperfect! The color might be different(yellow) but I think the text should be the same. 

Of course I'm not pretending to read and follow the instructions on my model, but I'd like to find something similar .

Thanks very much!

Massimo

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, massimo said:

5TyoysX.jpg

hFEHENi.jpg

This is superb modelling Massimo. Really like the subtle weathering you are achieving here, and the detailing on those exposed components is excellent.

Press on Maestro!

Terry

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

CJP has beaten me to it, but just in case:

Hope that between us we have helped!

Crisp

Your photos are much sharper Crisp - that should give Massimo what he needs

CJP

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

CJP has beaten me to it, but just in case:

Hope that between us we have helped.

Crisp

thank you both! Now I can go on working!

5 hours ago, AeroparkDave said:

I thought you might be interested in seeing some photos of my good friends model Ark Royal set as she was in 1976, so a similar period with the same aircraft.  I help him display it around the country, and yes it is radio controlled too!

Thanks for the picures of this masterpiece and for the video, from which I saved the imagehere below.

owrmKq8.png

Ciao

Massimo

• Thanks 1

Good morning mates!

This morning I got up early and did some decalling on the refuelling pod. 

G1c8wGw.jpg

Here below the four views of the finished pod, after a coat of Future to seal the decals and one of matt paint.

F1q4Mhe.jpg

3ifUnMO.jpg

3suBKxc.jpg

HqqHRpt.jpg

Many thnks to CJP, ex-FAAWAFU and AeroparkDave for the pictures supplied.

Today I'd like to go on with some more modelling, but.....

tO0Pcy5.jpg

...my lovely Treasure'sgot better ideas for the day!!!!:headbang:

Edited by massimo
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

This afternoon my Treasure went out to buy some stuff.

...While she was out...:worry:... I decided to check the pylon's fit under the Buccaneer's wing and...well...I realized immediately that it's too big and the shape's wrong!!!

Being bigger helps as from something bigger you can get something smaller! How clever!!!:cool:

GgH8D4A.jpg

So I drilled two holes over the pod's locating pins . Once reduced in size and corrected the shape, I'll fit a couple of pins and the pod's attachment will be safe!

GAeyPHe.jpg

This sould bs its shape .

DUzn8WA.jpg

Being happy with the size and shape, I glued it to the starboard wing where a locating hole had been previously drilled.

I know, not much of an improvement but when my Treasure got back, se didn't notice anything.:inlove:

Please mouth shut!!!:bandit:

Massimo

• Like 4
  • Haha 1