Ark Royal's last cruise -Phantom FG1:Tractor and base close to completion

Massimo

Looks very good Massimo

Im not convinced that the store is a fuel tank, the nose of the Wessex tank is more pointy-tapered than that

My guess  would be an antisubmarine device, it seems to have a blunt nosed fairing on it

Im off for a search

Wessie geting very lovely now M

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Massimo said:

What's the white thing fitted to the port side of the fuselage

I suggest that this is just a fuel tank with the white colour and light combination giving a false impression of a more angular nose..

I haven't found any other photos of white tanks but plenty of them in blue showing that the nose and tail are the same blunt rounded shape.

I doubt if it is an AS store. Yes it could fit the pylon but what's the point as the SAR cabs had the gubbins removed from inside the cabin.

This photo of the lighter blue Australian one shows the tank a bit better than the dark blue of the RN ones.

Wessex812DarwinFAAM.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hello Massimo

I was reading the discussion on the Wessex fuel tank? & I remembered I had a resin conversion set sitting in a drawer for decades( actually had two and started using one on a Wessex that never got completed) - it is by Maintrack 1/72 scale and has several Wessex bits including that tank and pylon - I don't want it and you are welcome to it if you want to use in this build - gratis - PM if you do.

IMG-8566.jpg

Some good  photos of the tank on this walk around link -

http://www.grubbyfingersshop.com/walkaround_galleries/WESTLAND_Wessex_Walkaround_N7-226_Nowra_2014/content/WESTLAND_Wessex_Walkaround_N7-226_Nowra_2014_046_GrubbyFingers_large.html

and this link -http://www.grubby-fingers-aircraft-illustration.com/images/Wessex_N7-216_02_med.jpg

Looking at the walk around the tank is tapered at the back and more rounded on the front

CJP

Edited by CJP
text & links added
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The explanation from Richard is so likely right I retract my own thoughts on the subject

That Maintrack set is well worth having, it took me ages to sort out the tank and pylons for my HAS3 build

Nice picture of the Aussie bird

P1011912.jpg

• Like 6

I'll stick to theidea of the fuel tank and make it white. 

Considering thejob of these machines, an anti submarine missile or any sort of weapon isn't very likely.....

Thanks you all for the nice words and for the help searching info!!

Edited by Massimo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CJP said:

Hello Massimo

I was reading the discussion on the Wessex fuel tank? & I remembered I had a resin conversion set sitting in a drawer for decades( actually had two and started using one on a Wessex that never got completed) - it is by Maintrack 1/72 scale and has several Wessex bits including that tank and pylon - I don't want it and you are welcome to it if you want to use in this build - gratis - PM if you do.

IMG-8566.jpg

Some good  photos of the tank on this walk around link -

http://www.grubbyfingersshop.com/walkaround_galleries/WESTLAND_Wessex_Walkaround_N7-226_Nowra_2014/content/WESTLAND_Wessex_Walkaround_N7-226_Nowra_2014_046_GrubbyFingers_large.html

and this link -http://www.grubby-fingers-aircraft-illustration.com/images/Wessex_N7-216_02_med.jpg

Looking at the walk around the tank is tapered at the back and more rounded on the front

CJP

That is quite the finest Wessex Walkaround I've ever seen and I've seen a few

Happily, nay ecstatically bookmarked

Now going to be my go-to for detailing, thank you CJP

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, perdu said:

The explanation from Richard is so likely right I retract my own thoughts on the subject

That Maintrack set is well worth having, it took me ages to sort out the tank and pylons for my HAS3 build

Nice picture of the Aussie bird

P1011912.jpg

That Wessex looks very smart!

CJP

• Thanks 1

Good evening fellas!

Tonight I didn't feel like working on th interior, cause there was something that didn't convince me....the nose and also the its lower lip!

KT3hRiF.jpg

qaT90Db.jpg

wsDtjtn.jpg

edIMfGV.jpg

so I compared it to the drawing in the 4+book and... well..there's no need to say anything...it's really too bowed.

tYK7BK9.jpg

As I wouldn't have been able to correct its shape without opening a big hole, first thing to do was to add some material on the inside. I'm actually in the UK and haven't got any flour with me. Considering the mess I did on the Buccaneer's nose when I was in the States and used some baby powder, I decided to opt for some  plastic and thus I ...started filing.

JO1tpa6.jpg

VSsMBMk.jpg

Oq4Jpzn.jpg

Once the mix of CA glue and plastic dust was dry, I went to work and after some filing and sanding I got here.

nTPACsq.jpg

8RfAfT2.jpg

The nose profile was now better, but the lip was still too small, so...

z5hz5zz.jpg

ioQJw5a.jpg

jXnpAWn.jpg

So I did some cutting, shifting, glueinf, filling, filing, sanding and in the end I was quite happy with the new shape.

edIMfGV.jpg

1ovqMlM.jpg

Here above the comparison between how it was before and how it is now.

That's it for tonight.

Good night!

Massimo

Edited by Massimo
  • Like 8

56 minutes ago, Massimo said:

Here above the comparison between how it was before and how it is now.

That makes a lot of difference! Great job! :clap: :clap:

Ciao

• Like 2

I think the drawing isn't accurate. Last night I was very happy and then...I saw a picture and...it's totally wrong!!!

Anyway this morning I understood what the next step will be. 

But now I've got to go to work, let's do it tonight!

Ciao

Massimo

• Confused 1

I never completely trust, or work to drawings either Massimo

When I did my scratch build Shorts C-23A Sherpa I was lucky to have a fairly decent set of drawings to base it on but there were several anomalous areas that had to be re-drawn before the plans were useable

Luckily I did a full set of photographs of the entire airframe which allowed me to redraw the bad bits based on personal inspection

Always trust the photograph of your subject, then you can be sure (er)

The nose is responding well, the best nose shape I've found yet on a mainstream 1/72 Wessex is still the Frog/Novo version

I had to almost file the entire nose away when I used the Matchbox one (after filling its crevices with Milliput) to get the right rounded shape, it was flat across with no curved bits

Luckily for me the separate early HAS type Gazelle powered nose was less out of shape for the above model

Yours is already 'Notaleri' enough to break their corporate hearts

Lovely work

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

To be honest that's normally my rule too!!!

I don't know where this excess of confidence came from...

..anyway a shape like allows me to go on by steps. The straighter top line I got  is better than the original too bowed one, but the nose edge is still too pointed. 

Tonight I'll cut orizontally with an angle from the top of the front grill to the base of the wind shield  and add a couple of V-shaped spacers to lift the nose edge up and consequently make it bigger.I'm sure that will work.

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 3

Good morning mates,

last night I did some more surgery to the Wessie's nose . Here are some pics:

XLjAzik.jpg

ZsJnidb.jpg

odvp3GC.jpg

...like this it looks more like a Hyppo....

BoqgUkD.jpg

Te94JgB.jpg

This is what it looks like now. I think I'm getting there!

edIMfGV.jpg

4fUgz1i.jpg

And here a comparison with the real thing and where I started from.

Have a nice day!

Massimo

• Like 5

Great job in reshaping the wessie's nose !!

There are a big bunch of people who can vote for you in the aestethic surgery field...

May be going to Brazil and earn a lot of money :rofl2:

Did'nt choose Brazil randomly since you surely know this…

Wonderfull Movie Indeed !!

Congrats my Friend !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 3

Brave man, Massimo - excellent surgery! :clap: :worthy:

Probably someone has already mentioned it, but what about the two side windows? In your last pic, the real ones look quite different in shape from the kit representation ...

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1

The small windows were kept on the RAF versions but the Navy ones were mostly fitted with the larger ones

The HAS 1s could have been either, you need a photograph of your target to work with

I had to reduce the size of them on my HC2, not very difficult

• Like 3

Gosh I’m glad I’ve got a FROG one in my stash, not an Italeri! I am admiring your determination to bash this one into shape Massimo. Not wishing to stir up more trouble, but isn’t there also a problem on this kit with the taper aft of the cockpit? (I feel like I should be adding the “I’ll get me coat” icon at this point)

Adrian

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Gosh I’m glad I’ve got a FROG one in my stash, not an Italeri! I am admiring your determination to bash this one into shape Massimo. Not wishing to stir up more trouble, but isn’t there also a problem on this kit with the taper aft of the cockpit? (I feel like I should be adding the “I’ll get me coat” icon at this point)

Adrian

Get that coat Adrian, he's already fixed that to our constant amazement

Whaddamodeller!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2