Ark Royal's last cruise -Phantom FG1:Tractor and base close to completion

Massimo

52 minutes ago, bar side said:

Tonka has been discussed before.  I always thought it was because they were boxy & more like a chunky kids toy than the likes of the Lightning & Hunter

It's quite interesting to read that earlier thread and hear people who worked on them say that's the term they used all the time whilst others swear they don't recall it ever being used. I think it must depend on where based and period of time. As to origin, I suspect its nothing more than typical shortening a formal name into an easier word that someone coined at some point and it stuck. Brits (and Aussies too) have a tendency to shorten lots of words in the English vocabulary - wimpy, mozzie, sarnie, defo etc. I guess we'll never know... 🤔

Edited by RichG
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, andyf117 said:

Great Tornado photos, Massimo - I'm another starting to feel ancient...

....I remember the red & white prototype MRCA flying at Farnborough...

....yet another of the types which have come and gone in my lifetime...

....Harrier, Jaguar, Lynx, Nimrod, Sea King, and now it's the Tornado...

....at least the Chinook, Gazelle and Puma are all still going strong!

Don’t forget the Hawk and a Herc.  And I watched a couple of F-15Cs land at Lakenheath this week.  They must have been about since the 80s.  Not to mention the KC-135s

• Like 1

4 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

I was thinking that the plan was to present them all on a deck portion ??

Hi CC,

the original plan was tfor a base involving the Buccaneer, the Gannet and the Phantom. as shown here below.

xzlifzm.jpg

Then I had a secong thought about showing the Phantom on the cat that I would have to build. Anyway I've already seen  several Phantoms in this pose and got a bit bored of it , so I went back to the original plan, with the addition of the yellow tractor pushing her into place on the deck.

This will make it a very colourful display, even if the Wessie and Sea King would be out of place in this position as I've always seen them more forward on the deck, unless somebody can come up with some pictures that can testify this layout.

The small base I've been working on is just something temporary to test the look of the ensemble before concentrating on the final one once all components are finished.

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bar side said:

Don’t forget the Hawk and a Herc.  And I watched a couple of F-15Cs land at Lakenheath this week.  They must have been about since the 80s.  Not to mention the KC-135s

I will really feel old when they will decom the B-52s...:rofl2:

Phantoms, Tomcat, Corsair II, Skyhawk…. :tumble:

Then Vulcans, Jaguar, Buccaneers and now Tornadoes...:tumble:

Aishows will be boring now,

Look A Brit F-35, Oh A Belgian F-35, Is this a Murcan F-35 just beside this Dutch F-35 ???

F-16 syndrom but just worst ….

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Massimo said:

Hi CC,

the original plan was tfor a base involving the Buccaneer, the Gannet and the Phantom. as shown here below.

xzlifzm.jpg

Then I had a secong thought about showing the Phantom on the cat that I would have to build. Anyway I've already seen  several Phantoms in this pose and got a bit bored of it , so I went back to the original plan, with the addition of the yellow tractor pushing her into place on the deck.

This will make it a very colourful display, even if the Wessie and Sea King would be out of place in this position as I've always seen them more forward on the deck, unless somebody can come up with some pictures that can testify this layout.

The small base I've been working on is just something temporary to test the look of the ensemble before concentrating on the final one once all components are finished.

Ciao

Massimo

And a Palouste?  Clearly visible front and centre plugged into the nearest Buccaneer...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

And a Palouste?  Clearly visible front and centre plugged into the nearest Buccaneer...

I bought two. One will be parked besides the Buccaaneer, all closed and the other one will be probably modified with the back cover removed and some detail added to show besides the Gannet, ready to be started. I've seen one with the yellow and black striped nose, same as the underwing tanks in  a picture , but I can't find it anymore...

Anyway that's the idea!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Look A Brit F-35, Oh A Belgian F-35, Is this a Murcan F-35 just beside this Dutch F-35 ???

This whole aerodynamics thing has gotten completely out of hand these days if you ask me CC.

If somebody's going to kill me from above with a ruddy great munition of some kind I would at least like to think they'd shown the courtesy and consideration to do so using a distinctively singular aircraft - when did good manners and common decency become so unfashionable I ask?

• Haha 7

Truly awesome pictures of Marham Tornado's there Massimo. A superb photographic record for prosperity.

12 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I could just about persist with the illusion that I am not ancient.  But in the past couple of years the Seaking, Lynx & now Tornado have gone. 

I am with you there Crisp. As a young man in my late teens, early twenties, I had the privilege of working for the MOD PE. Our remit included overseeing Jet Provost and Canberra refurb programmes. We dealt with he Lightning too, but that was more on the spares provision side. I recall so clearly, on one of my regular trips up to Warton, expecting to experience my usual fascinating walk around the Canberra refurb sheds (T22's, T17's and other ancient types), being ushered into a small corner of a hanger, and given an exclusive glimpse of a largely white and red MRCA P02, then unseen by the general public. The people at BAC (yes I'm that old), knew of my passion for such things. The Tornado, as it was later named, looked so futuristic then, an amazing aircraft. Around the same time, I was able to walk down lines of freshly completed Jaguars, painted up in their grey/green/light aircraft grey schemes......... It feels like only yesterday. Also, the marvellous sight (then at the Preston factory I think) was that of Concorde wing sections being milled from the most amazingly large slabs of aluminium I had ever seen. I didn't know at that time that around 25 years later, I would be privileged to fly in that aircraft, just once to New York, before it was finally taken out of service. A very special moment for me, as I had also watched one of the prototypes take to the air on a daily basis on test flights from RAF Fairford, as a young Air Cadet at annual camp in 1969/70. 

I don't feel that ancient either, but perhaps I am!

I'm rambling on again, but wonderful memories all the same! A great thread here Massimo.

Terry

• Like 7

15 hours ago, TheBaron said:

This whole aerodynamics thing has gotten completely out of hand these days if you ask me CC.

If somebody's going to kill me from above with a ruddy great munition of some kind I would at least like to think they'd shown the courtesy and consideration to do so using a distinctively singular aircraft - when did good manners and common decency become so unfashionable I ask?

Absolutely ! Dear Baron !!

This is totally seconded ! Something like a Barracuda… That's a life proof of style !

A Corsair, a Phantom AKA...

Remind me of a french dame, friend of mine years ago !

She was from eastern France, really an airshow and aviation enthusiast !

Her father (passed away long before we met) did a lot of drawing of US aircrafts.

Then when she show me the drawing I was amazed !

Quite accurates drawing Indeed, Mustang, a lot of Thunderbolts, P-38 And a lot of typhoon !!

But all these Drawings represent the aircraft seen from front !! Not a single profile….

Then I saw a pic of her father, he has been forced in the german army !!

So that's what kinda like a testimony !!:rofl2:

Sincerely.

CC

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/24/2019 at 4:44 PM, corsaircorp said:

Aishows will be boring now,

Sincerely.

CC

And all being thrown around the sky in full re-heat trying do out do each other's skills one's afraid.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Hi fellas,

after a long time away from the work bench , Autumn brought my motivation back and thus, after a small progress on my Jaguars, this weekend I took the Buccaneer out and tried tofinish it.

9vFESHV.jpg

0OIaw6s.jpg

I started by adding a set of resin wheels I had received a few months ago, to replace the kit’s original ones.

To be honest, if you don’t turn the kit upside down, you can’t see much, but you know they’re there!!!

My2uJGn.jpg

dprZCuL.jpg

x4dUZej.jpg

Next step was to add a set of ejecting handles to the seats. I used some PE from a set for the Airfix Phantom. I also added a mirror on the windshiels and added some detail to the canopy: two side handles, the middle frame and an extra mirror attached to it for the back seater.

90eYMDw.jpg

yEfrt6g.jpg

Ox53k4j.jpg

cdDH6C7.jpg

I also made a tow-bar from scratch, using some pictures and the resin one included in the resin tractor set by F4 models as a reference.

FhPULY1.jpg

96S672N.jpg

3acyGqd.jpg

JlfscAY.jpg

g2BJgdv.jpg

A few pictures of the finished model.

u4tXYfQ.jpg

DfFOpSw.jpg

Finally, as I still don’t know how long it’ll take to have the Ark Royal project done, I Decided to move on with the base I had started some time ago. I glued the deck section to the wooden base and added the 809° crest and the Ark’s one. I added the tow-bar and the spare ladder. The Palouste will be next .

52yVLMW.jpg

YasowXC.jpg

So here we are, it took a loooooong time, but the Buccaneer is finished and this will be her home for a while, at least until the Gannet is done. The next updates will be about the other subjects.

I’ll post some more pictures in a proper thread in the “Ready for inspection”at soonest.

Ciao

Massimo

Edited by Massimo
  • Like 22

HI Massimo - good to see you back modelling again - you have done a superb  job on the old Matchbox Buccaneer and it will hold its own against the new Airfix Buccaneer - maybe you can add a couple more Airfix Buccaneers to your diorama when it is  done! - Bravo

CJP

Edited by CJP
text
  • Thanks 1

On 2/24/2019 at 12:28 PM, RichG said:

It's quite interesting to read that earlier thread and hear people who worked on them say that's the term they used all the time whilst others swear they don't recall it ever being used. I think it must depend on where based and period of time. As to origin, I suspect its nothing more than typical shortening a formal name into an easier word that someone coined at some point and it stuck. Brits (and Aussies too) have a tendency to shorten lots of words in the English vocabulary - wimpy, mozzie, sarnie, defo etc. I guess we'll never know... 🤔

Well having been a regular visitor to Decimomanu with the Mighty SHAR (shortening again) the junior service used to call Tornados a lot of names including Tonka but I couldn't possibly repeat due to sensitive ears 🙀

18 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Utterly outstanding! 

It deserves a wider audience, I bet the FAA Museum would pay you handsomely to have that in a display case! Stunning work.

I blinking bet they wouldn't owned by historical dockyard now ....I wont ever go there again and I can probably spit at ygd place from my office. Meanwhile super super model 👍👍👍👍👏

• Thanks 1