Ark Royal's last cruise -Phantom FG1:Tractor and base close to completion

Massimo

Neat work on the Gannet intake Massimo. Re the Wessex, only kit worth using is any of the Italeri/Revel kits tghe Frog kit has had it's day. I see you have the 4+ Wessex book (only Wessex ref you need). The plans in there are accurate so if you lay the Italeri/Revell kit fuselage half ove the side viwe, you'll soo what I mean re the 6mm discrepancy.

Colin

• Like 1

Good evening,

tonight I got home and found out the Ark Family is getting bigger!!!

BugcuwE.jpg

It's a nice model, even if, used to 1/48th , this one looks smaller than the other ones.

plEzpzN.jpg

Ko1yGen.jpg

neN6B6g.jpg

D0qfvOn.jpg

Detail is very nice,and you have the door open for a different windows' configuration...

FF8JjY1.jpg

... BUT....

:swear::rage::wall::angry:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bFyXwTX.jpg

It's a real shame , as the detail features very fine poitive rivets butI don't see any possibility of getting that area sanded down , without F***ing the surface detail...:(

Please, somebody tell me I need those windows open!!!!:laugh:

Anyway, apart from that, it's a very nice starting point and It'll give me the chance to improve my very scarce  riveting skills and make myRosie useful!!!

I know one of the rotor is missing in the picture, but, don't panic, I'm not going to build a Wessex style Sea King!!!:rofl:

I just left it in the bag.

So, now we're three out of five!!!

Time fore some homework!!! I'll have to go again through the links you gave me to improve my knowledge!!!

Ciao

Massimo

Edited by massimo2
  • Like 5

I'm not sure how I've managed to miss this until now, but better late than never! I love all the info that's come to light too, a veritable Christmas hamper full! 

Ian

• Like 1

Hello Massimo

What a great subject one that is very close to my heart, I served on the Ark as a member of the flight deck crew  a "chockhead" (first a blue shirt then a yellow shirt) from August 1972 through to August 74 then again from January 1976 through to the end in December 1978.

I see from the thread you have been receiving some first class advice if there's anything I can add just ask (although I cant hold a candle modeling wise to many of the members here).

I do have some information regarding the flight deck that has been previously mentioned in the thread but I don't want to hijack what your doing without getting the nod from you first.

As a side note when I joined Ark in 72 I was 16 1/2 years old the youngest member of a crew of 2600.

Keep up the top class work

RR (Chris)

• Like 6

16 hours ago, massimo said:

bFyXwTX.jpg

See @andrewa's excellent advice re windows.  I am afraid you're going to have to add a gravity refuelling point (the large indentations, one just behind the door and the other underneath the rear window); there needs to be another one in the middle, just behind the stub-wing.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, andyf117 said:

No, you don't need those windows open, and in fact you need to blank off the forward one too...

:rofl:I had a feeling that would have been the answer!!!

9 hours ago, andyf117 said:

and whilst viewing from the outside, carefully apply pressure from the inside to push the sunken areas back out - either using a fingertip or the rounded end of a paintbrush handle. Then hold under a running cold tap for a few seconds to 'reset' the plastic.

Problem is...it hasn't sunk IN...it's sunk OUT!!!:wall:

Anyway I may try the procedure you've described on "reverse mode".

Anyway, very good point, I hadn't thought about hot water!!!

Thank you!!!

6 hours ago, Roof Rat said:

I do have some information regarding the flight deck that has been previously mentioned in the thread but I don't want to hijack what your doing without getting the nod from you first.

Hi Chris,

from the beginning,my intention's been to share not only a modelling project, but, most important an emotion started from a picture seen on magazine a few years ago.

As most of us, I'm first of all an aircraft enthousiast and I think modelling  would be a bit aseptic, if not accompanied to some deepening of the knowledge of the subject.  

Thanks to all you mates, we're collecting loads of information which is not only very useful to the continuation of this project, but is also contributing to the knoledge of this complex and interesting subject by those who haven't been part of it.

I've briefly presented some of the subjets, and I'm doing my homework, trying to let all info sink in, but something i hadn't mentioned yet is the crews operating on the flight deck.

And I don't mean just that I'd like to know if there's a set of aircrews in 1/72nd, ( anyway if somebody knows about a good set...please let me know, as I want to add some characters !)

I also mean I'd be interested in knowing something more about the meaning of those coloured jackets and their jobs and mainly something about the human perspective of those who operated onboard the Ark(and not only!)

So please, feel free to add anything you 'd like to share, because this could be the right place to do it!

4 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I am afraid you're going to have to add a gravity refuelling point (the large indentations, one just behind the door and the other underneath the rear window); there needs to be another one in the middle, just behind the stub-wing.

I'll start collecting info about this aircraft unknown to me. Thanks for the info and please, go on reminding me things or telling me if I'm doing wrong when the time'll come! 

• Like 3

Neeps! If you ask someone for nips there’s no telling how the evening will unfold (referencing as far back as page 1.)

... meanwhile on modelling. I’m part way into making the Matchbox Wessex and have a spare 1/72 nose that’d work for that plane guard and a big ol’ model decal sheet covering Wessexes which you’re welcome to have bits and pieces of as necessary 

Edited by LostCosmonauts
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hi Massimo,

The Revell Sea King is a real nice find, I pondered over what kit to use for my Sea King build for a while and although the Revell kit is the one that set the standard for a while I think the new Airfix kit has the edge. I can hear people now calling me a heretic and shouting “ Burn him “ but the Airfix kit has to me a lot more going for it.

Sure it’s not got the rivets but they are going to be a nightmare reinstating after filling and sanding on the Revell kit, Plus the window issue you have already found.

The sponsons on the Revell kit are to small, I know Whirybird models make a correct size resin set so you should be okay on that front.

The Revell Main rotor head looks off, it sits to high in my eye, you can spot an unmodified Revell kit a mile off because of this, easily corrected but a pain.

The interior bench seats are to small in my opinion, not really a massive issue but again the Airfix kit is better.

These are just a few things I’ve noticed, I’m sure there might be a few more things amiss, and I’m not saying the Airfix kit is perfect it isn’t. Plus  you’ll probably need a few bits from the Revell kit to make a decent Airfix RN Sea King depending on the MK to be modelled.

I Just thought I’d share my thought process on how I selected the kit i used.

I have the old Airfix Sea King , the Dragon kit , Revell and the new tool Airfix kit. I spent a long time considering each kit before I started on my project and to me the new tool Airfix kit offered the path of least resistance.

HTH

Dan 

• Like 2

Neeps! If you ask someone for nips there’s no telling how the evening will unfold (referencing as far back as page 1.)

... meanwhile on modelling. I’m part way into making the Matchbox Wessex and have a spare 1/72 nose that’d work for that plane guard and a big ol’ model decal sheet covering Wessexes which you’re welcome to have bits and pieces of as necessary 

You're right, it's neeps!!!:rofl:

Thanks for the welcomed offer!

I'll have to study the subject first. Anyway if you could post a picture of the sheet, it would be a big help for me to se what's on it.

Also I have no idea about stencilling ofor both the Wessex and the Sea king, thus any info on this subject will be very appreciated.

Ciao!

Massimo

21 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

These are just a few things I’ve noticed, I’m sure there might be a few more things amiss, and I’m not saying the Airfix kit is perfect it isn’t. Plus  you’ll probably need a few bits from the Revell kit to make a decent Airfix RN Sea King depending on the MK to be modelled.

I Just thought I’d share my thought process on how I selected the kit i used.

Hi Dan, these considerations are all very useful  indeed, expecially as I don't know at all the subject. Originally I wanted to use the new Airfix kit , but the missing sponsons were the main reason I opted for this kit.

I have to say it looks very nice , even if you're right about the rivets.

I didn't know about the rotor too high, but now I'll face the issue with the right premises.

Thank you and if you can think of some other suggestios, they'll be very welcomed!!

Edited by massimo2

Just now, massimo said:

Hi Dan, these considerations are all very useful  indeed, expecially as I don't know at all the subject. Originally I wanted to use the new Airfix kit , but the missing sponsons were the main reason I opted for this kit.

I have to say it looks very nice , even if you're right about the rivets.

I didn't know about the rotor too high, but now I'll face the issue with the right premises.

Thank you and if you can think of some other suggestios, they'll be very welcomed!!

Hi Massimo,

No problem, the Sea King family is a real nightmare to get to grips with, a real fun experience :D  

if you use the new Airfix HAR3 boxing then you have the correct sponsons and the right size so no need to replace or amend.

Have a look at my HU5 build and you’ll have an idea on what’s involved, it’s a later version but the amendments I think are similar to what you’ll need to do :yes:

Dan 

• Thanks 1

Hi Massion, re the Sea King windows, you could very carefully remove the rivet detail wthin the square (window opening) and add a scabed on panel from thin plasticard. Sort of look like a repair, it would hardly notice.

Colin

• Like 1

Massiom, re the flight deck figures, Airwaves produced a set of 4/5 figures in white metal during the late '70's early '80's. Someone may have a set to dispose of or try the Hannant's site. I'll see if I can find my set and post images...

Colin

• Like 1

10 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Massiom, re the flight deck figures, Airwaves produced a set of 4/5 figures in white metal during the late '70's early '80's.

Hi Colin,

thanks for the info! I'll start looking.

10 hours ago, heloman1 said:

you could very carefully remove the rivet detail wthin the square (window opening) and add a scabed on panel from thin plasticard. Sort of look like a repair, it would hardly notice.

That seems to be a good idea!

Thanks

Good morning,

searching on the net, I found these, which may be useful:

PJ721126

This fr the Wessex...

Fujimi Model Kit - US Navy Flight Deck Crew & Carrier Tractor - 1:72 Scale 35001

..and this.I coulldn't find any British crew, but I think with small modifications tose in this box could do.

There's also an Italeri box, but I think the Fujimi offer is better, for the more dynamic pose of the different crews.

Does anyone have other suggestions?

Two nights ago,  I started taking care of the Gannet's interior. The Sword kit is nice, but must be a short run, thus locating pins or steps are a bit on the optimistic side!!!

I thought it best to add a few strips of plastic card to increase the size of the cockpit locating bars.

OnTidK3.jpg

aEBdvbl.jpg

I alsodecided to glue the side consolles to the fuselage halves, for a better joint and stronger fit of the cockpit.

yjNmrrl.jpg

8GKMzbg.jpg

This way, once inserted the cockpit floor and bulkhead, all parts lock to each other and contribute to keep everything in place.

0l9XlQi.jpg

WEhvUnA.jpg

I did the same with the nose wheel bay.

fYl5uSC.jpg

JKHcqGQ.jpg

I also glued the main wheelbays' sidewalls to the wings' top halves.

lkicLdt.jpg

Just a little filing was  needed and I'm quite happy with the result.

Last night when I got home, I found this:

N13f2He.jpg

Inside I found these:

LqXaBbr.jpg

I'd like to thank Ant for the kind contribution!

That's all for now.

Hope to be able to do something over the weekend.

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 6

On 7/12/2017 at 01:38, LostCosmonauts said:

The sheet I have is model decal no.96 - some discussion on what is on there and pictures in this thread

Thanks for the link!

The sand and green camouflage is probably my favourite, but for this thread I'll have to stick to the SAR gray and fluorescent red one(which is my favourite too!!!:rofl:)

• Like 1

Looks like Ant has you sorted out for most of the Wessex plane guard decals - if you need particular unit markings or anything else just send me a message

That helicopter crew is excellent - I’ve used one set in a Sea King build before and they look terrific positioned in a doorway

Edited by LostCosmonauts
  • Like 1

Massimo, the Italeri set is a rebox of the old Esci ground crew. IMHO it's quite a good set, not all figures are for a carrier crew, some are late '80s NATO style figures while others are Vietnam era. Problem is that they are in soft plastic, while the Fujimi ones are in our usual polistyrene.

Good start on the Gannet !

• Like 1

Massimo, I have the 1/48 version of that Fujimi set, and they will be good for an RN deck crew.  At that scale any differences are hard to spot, and in my experience RN flight deck crews were very quick to nick obtain adopt USN gear if they ever got the chance (e.g. on a US visit - US servicemen tended to be extremely generous with handing out their kit, from which I can only assume that it wasn't hard for them to get replacements).

Aircrewman posing in the doorway?  Surely not...! @MarkdipXV711

• Like 3
  • Haha 3