Ark Royal's last cruise -Phantom FG1:Tractor and base close to completion

Massimo

Good morning,

last night I did some maskinf and painting.

rexM5FC.jpg

4Af2bAT.jpg

First I masked the areas around the landing gears' and avionic bays and sprayed them light grey.

Sh66aCu.jpg

HQBucMV.jpg

Then I masked the areas around the air intakes and wings leading edges , to spray them silver.

Ot397Kj.jpg

jJmsEkl.jpg

eyeyljy.jpg

grUjh6S.jpg

95ixcFN.jpg

4Af2bAT.jpg

This is where I am now, with a few touches done here and there and ready for decalling.

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 13

Hallo mates!

This morning, before leaving , I did some decalling. After so long it looks like a dream!!!

EzA1cHm.jpg

Now she starts looking like the real thing!

ZVa4gxw.jpg

OyFyBfN.jpg

jN2FqnZ.jpg

Some minor stencils are still missing, but Ididn't want to rush! TEverything is dry fitted now and the gear legs haven't been painted yet, but she can rest until I'll be back. 

lfIl8wT.jpg

Now I'm at the airport...but I'm not alone...I brought another mate with me!!!

More to come.

Thanks for watching!

Massimo

• Like 14

30 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Alas, Airfix’s new Bucc is the wrong scale for me...]

Cross-scaling from time to time isn't that bad, you know. To me at least: I find it refreshing. But I limit it to 1/48 and 1/72, of course :winkgrin:

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I’ve already got a stash containing 1/48, 1/32, 1/350 & 1/700.  Oh, and 1/600.  That’s enough scales.

Indeed! :rofl: But no 1/72? :devil:

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

[Alas, Airfix’s new Bucc is the wrong scale for me...]

You never know Crisp, they might be tempted to upscale it at some future date. I'm sure it would be a reasonable improvement and somewhat more "current" in detail on the existing 1/48 release.............🤔

Terry

• Like 2

Hi mates, 

thanks for the nice comments!

I'm in the UK now and Therre some additions to the project family!

67SGeTR.jpg

Here are the pitot and refuelling probe's nozzle by Masters and ...yes Bill...I know I'm a coward, but this time I can benefit from somebody else's effort!!!

For the Buccaneer I needed a closed one , as she's parked with the FOD covers on. I'm getting a second one for the Gannet and modify it to open it up, ready for starting.

96llkeR.jpg

ojGimYn.jpg

This is for the Phantom. Nice resin cast!!!

...and now my travel mate....

eSVBxPy.jpg

DKaJtyI.jpg

This PE fret will be useful for small details , expecially for the grids.

KL5s72l.jpg

I really dn't know where to start, I think I'll check the documentation and all previous interventions from the well informed earlier in the thread!

Good night!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Buccaneer is looking good Massimo. Don't forget the ROTORCraft fuselage plug for the Wessx, otherwise it's going to look horribly short, 6mm or seventeen inches. Far too much to let slide, when you have done so much to all the other aircraft in your mega build.

Colin

• Like 1

4 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Don't forget the ROTORCraft fuselage plug for the Wessx, otherwise it's going to look horribly short, 6mm or seventeen inches. Far too much to let slide, when you have done so much to all the other aircraft in your mega build.

Colin

Hi Colin, 

I'm quite ignorant about the Wessex, but  at the beginning of the thread (page 2 or 3) Italeri's kit's inaccuracies were well explained by Bill (Perdu) . I don't know this Rotorcraft, but I'll try to correct the fuseage on my own. Of course any help or info will be welcome!!!

@perdu

On 12/01/2019 at 13:25, manuel said:

I found this site some great pictures

Very interesting pictures,Thanks very much!

4 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Don't forget the ROTORCraft fuselage plug for the Wessx, otherwise it's going to look horribly short, 6mm or seventeen inches. Far too much to let slide, when you have done so much to all the other aircraft in your mega build.

Colin

Hi Colin, 

I'm quite ignorant about the Wessex, but  at the beginning of the thread (page 2 or 3) Italeri's kit's inaccuracies were well explained by Bill (Perdu) . I don't know this Rotorcraft, but I'll try to correct the fuseage on my own. Of course any help or info will be welcome!!!

4 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Those F4 tractors are great - I have more than one in 1/48 (various eras)

You're correct, they're really nice!!!

Now a small update,

as I said, I'm quite ignorant about this aircraft, an I'm trying to understand it first, not to do anyting I may regret!!!

oOqWR2p.jpg

I started by deleting the seat belts molded in the kit's seats.Being pre painted, the seatbelts by Eduards will be aadded after having painted the seats.

shkUlv6.jpg

These are the seats pre-assembled.

bENnGjt.jpg

qkHHChL.jpg

I removed the detail from the kit's parts whre PE parts will be added.

Yc5kMZy.jpg

aTvHH9D.jpg

Then I glued the parts forming the interior frame, to have anidea what they look like and how they fit to the fuselage halves.

c6jbULG.jpg

zae1qnT.jpg

Next on the kit instructions is the instrument panel. After removing any detail from the panel, I compared it to the photoetched one. They seem to mach in size  so I glued them together.

fWKCrm2.jpg

RGAiWtw.jpg

ERN1Oaa.jpg

IANBPp4.jpg

JZcZ3D6.jpg

The kit instructions suggest to glue the panel and it's upper lip to the nose assembly, once its two sides have been glued together. There isn't any accurate locating pin or back stop for it, so I tried to position it as accurately as possible, considering its angle and its distance from the nose junction to the fuselage.

4QRPdzs.jpg

TWakmGV.jpg

q30Osqq.jpg

VloG7u3.jpg

Another point of interest is the fuselage windows, their position and shape. I have no clue if they're correct. The only thing I'm sure about is there's a window on the side sliding door.+

My last question for th well informed is .Wuat did the interior look like?

I'm tempted to use as a reference the exellent work made by Hendie on his Wessex, but I don't know what differencies are there between the version he's dealing with nd the HAS 1 I'm doing. For sure there must have been something more than the "NOTHING" supplied with the kit. Bo seats at all or anything else!

To me they could have grown potatos in there, providing they put some soil in it!!!

That's it for now. 

Ciao

Massimo

@perdu

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Massimo said:

I don't know this Rotorcraft, but I'll try to correct the fuseage on my own. Of course any help or info will be welcome!!!

I'm sure you will be well able to correct the tail Massimo, but in case you change your mind, I think this is what @heloman1 was referring to

https://www.freightdogmodels.co.uk/rotor-craft-1-72-westland-wessex-uh-34-fuselage-correction-set.html

I have one and it's pretty good.

Terry

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

I'm sure you will be well able to correct the tail Massimo, but in case you change your mind, I think this is what @heloman1 was referring to

https://www.freightdogmodels.co.uk/rotor-craft-1-72-westland-wessex-uh-34-fuselage-correction-set.html

I have one and it's pretty good.

Terry

It looks very interesting, I'll have a look!

Thank you!!!

Good evening,

Tonight I did some more work on the Wessie.

9AQNCXi.jpg

First of all Icut the tail rotor's blades and turned them, as I understood from Bill Italeri did them the wrong way around.

SupuLN7.jpg

SupuLN7.jpg

5QGVdbo.jpg

To do it I used a specially made jig ( the hole on the right in the carton box!!!:rofl:) Now the tail rotor is ok.

mdveRE7.jpg

Gh6qvSL.jpg

VygZMyB.jpg

7FyapvZ.jpg

After checking my references, I decided to open a square window on the side door. 

aoLdeQ2.jpg

7nyVx2G.jpg

And then I decided to dare adding some PE details to the cockpit. I added the cabin floors and some boxes on the middle consolle between the pilots' seats.

TEyzyMY.jpg

Finally I cut the starboard window's frame as I'll use the PE parts to represent it open.

That's all.

Good night!

• Like 6