Ark Royal's last cruise -Phantom FG1:Tractor and base close to completion

Massimo

1 hour ago, andyf117 said:

I've got the main fuselages from a couple of scrapped Frog kits - think my HAS.1 might end up being one of those with added Italeri for everything else...

....probably an easier route than the surgery that Massimo's performing on this build!

Unfortunately I had already purchased the Italeri kit and , not knowing the subject, I thought it was ok.  

I should have bought an Eastern Express reboxing of the Frog kit instead , it's also cheap!!! With parts from both I could have got a good kit. 

Never mind...next time!

Ah...I forgot to tell you I think I throw the transparencies to the garbage together with the box before leaving to the UK!!!:rofl:

Fortunately I'm sure Ican pick up a spare one at Italeri, which happens to be based in my hometown!!!

Edited by Massimo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Get that coat Adrian, he's already fixed that to our constant amazement

Gosh sorry! I missed it, and I thought I'd been paying attention! Scrolling back now...

Adrian :coat:

[EDIT] Found it! Very nice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Good evening,

I've been home for the weekend, well...some sort of "tocata y fuga", but forgot my glasses in Cambridge, so coudn't do any progress on th Buccaneer or Gannet.

Once back , I tried to add some detail to the Wessezx' s nose.

It's taking ages and I haven't done much, but this is what I came up with:

PZLZpO1.jpg

MVI9lDr.jpg

I've cut the front grill's shape , as the original detail was gone during the nose surgery.

I've checked online and found a PE grille by Eduard on Modelland Lowestoft's cathalogue. I'll purchase it. Of course this means I'll have to create some sort of detail for the inside,

fBxkQuZ.jpg

NMuR1O1.jpg

Zd2yAmZ.jpg

Watching some pictures, I realized the interior was quite visible on the real thing and sometimes the grill's side corners were removed.So I made the bulkhead and the curved guard from plastic card. I also added a few bits here and there, like the side lights supports, at the base of the side door and drilled the square holes for the steps. On the inside I glued some pieces of plastic card .

GHkvhyT.jpg

I also added some detail at the bottom. There seems to be some sort of vent ans a light.

QY9einJ.jpg

That's it for now. I considered to add some PE parts, but I think this should be done once the frame is assembled and just before painting, otherwise they won't last. 

This is it for tonight.

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 12

Wowza! I love the way your scribing goes through all those different materials without the slightest wobble. And the extra detailing of the intake interiors (when I did a Frog Wessex I just left a solid wedge!).

It looks a bit like a fish - its making me hungry!

Regards,

Adrian

• Haha 2

Looks great but do make sure the lower edge line is horizontal, it looks a bit droopy at the lower front edge

Looks like a fish

😇

😱😕😠😱😕😠😱😕😠😕😠😱😕

🍻🍻🍻👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, perdu said:

Looks great but do make sure the lower edge line is horizontal, it looks a bit droopy at the lower front edge

There was something not convincing me , but didn't realize. I started with it orizontal, but then I filed and filed and filed and...filed too much!!!:rofl:

Thanks Bill!!! 

• Like 2

Good evening,

NMuR1O1.jpg

Here we were two days ago.

nx1JA3W.jpg

So last night, in order to add an extra lip (in the background), I glued a few holders (some sort of shark mouth!)

xnq5wo7.jpg

03hNZv8.jpg

Then I glued the lip in place , filled the gaps with CA glue , at consecutive times and forced myself to let it dryand harden. 

Last night I felt a bit frustrated...needed to work on something different, so here is a small anticipation of a future work on the other travelmate I had brought with me.:

NIrYZVr.jpg

You may recognize the shape as it's been the subject of a recent build by Bill ( Perdu )

gOSY468.jpg

cnAA7B9.jpg

loPZk7Q.jpg

I chosed to start from the fuselage lower half. Here she is after a bit of cutting. I felt much better afterwards!!!

IT0DFFu.jpg

QloHC6S.jpg

After the short diversion, tonight I had the wessex's nose filed and sanded and this is its new look.

PZLZpO1.jpg

F7VZ1aa.jpg

This is a comparison between what it looked like before and  how it is now.

That's it for tonight. Back home Tomorrow and I'll be there all next week.

Good night 

Massimo

• Like 12

Great job Massimo, and very inspiring !!

Da poor shark need some orthodontic cares but otherwise !! Really great Wessex mouth !!

Did you used a dremel to get the Wheel bay of the Vixen opened ?? Or hand saw ?

That's also a neat job !

:partytime:

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 1

Better looking mouth now Massimo, do remember to make the corner/internal angle a proper sharp one

The corner isn't rounded, it's two straight lines meeting at an acute angle

Can't wait to enjoy the Foxy Bird, yiiipppppeeee

Here's Massimo!

🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, perdu said:

You can see the sharp corner on this view of a Frog Wessex HAS1 and part of a Matchbox HU5 

The Frog kit is an almost perfect version of the shape if a little Frog Primitive in extras

None!

Dear Bill...

I have to be honest, you warned me,but Ididn'tlisten and bought the Itaeri kit, as it looked more detailed.

Now, a year later, I've worked many hours cutting, filing sanding cutting, filing,  sanding , fillinf, cutting, filing sanding cutting, filing,  sanding ,cutting, filing sanding cutting, filing,  sanding , cutting, filing sanding cutting, filing,  sanding ,cutting, filing sanding cutting, filing,  sanding ,cutting, filing sanding cutting, filing,  sanding , to get..... a Frog nose!!!!

WHAT AN IDIOT I AM!!!:headbang:

This week I've been tempted to invest some money to purchase an Eastern Express (Frog reboxing) Wessex, but, as mybosssays, "This would prove Iwas wrong", thus ....NO WAY!!!:rofl:

I'm going back home now and next week I'll try to get the  Buccaneer and Gannet a good step forward.

Have a nice weekend you all!!!

Massimo

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Hi mates,

Back home , I haven’t had much time for visiting BM, but I found some for some modelling.

First of all I decided my Buccaneer finish was a bit too gloss and thus I oversprayed her wir a mix of  Future and Xtracrilix matt clear, thinned with alcohol (not Grappa!!!)

SbOlH0n.jpg

ALnChgt.jpg

She isn’t matt, but I find it more convincing now and even the colour has turned a touch lighter , which looks better.

IfTI5Zs.jpg

gweGPac.jpg

Then I decided to add some fumes to the wings’ deflectors, as seen on many pictures. I used Tamiya panel accent liquid and then I brushed ita way with some thinner.Due to the folded wings’ angle, they won’t be very visibe, but…that’s life!!!

DaFbpTH.jpg

OJu8Rn3.jpg

I painted the wingfolds light grey and washed them with Tamiya panel lines accent liquid. May be a little dark, but I’ll wash ita gain with some thinner and drybrush the area again.

2YIBMM0.jpg

LGeofPj.jpg

t9HyYN8.jpg

9bvpUFc.jpg

8BoJ1AQ.jpg

tNkatf2.jpg

D7PKOlD.jpg

I then decided to concentrate on my attention on the canopy. I masked it first and painted canva colour. Then masked again and sprayed EDSG, followed by  a coat of Future, decals , Future again and the mix of Future and Xtracrilix matt.

That’s it for now!

Ciao

Massimo

Edited by Massimo
  • Like 8