Ark Royal's last cruise -Phantom FG1:Tractor and base close to completion

Massimo

Good evening mates,

tonight I started adding some white in those grey interiors. As a main reference I'm using the splendid work carried out on his 1/32 kit by @hendie

MJ2K2Ck.jpg

I started by making the curtain closing the back passage to the tail section.

VdHr7i4.jpg

GhMgT2R.jpg

Then I made the certridge storag container onthe back bulkhead.This is what it looks like now. 

AcSoq3r.jpg

jfbLUoz.jpg

I deleted the detail on the port half fuselage. I'll make it out of styrene stips. I also filled some moulding estractor marks.

shkUlv6.jpg

NEpmkLo.jpg

PwuIn7w.jpg

Finally I decided to add some detail to the seats. This is where I got up to now.

That's it for tonight.

Goodnight!

Edited by Massimo
  • Like 8

22 minutes ago, Massimo said:

As a main reference I'm using the splendid work carried out on his 1/32 kit by @hendie

If ever there was proof needed that you had completely lost the tattie, then that was it!

Seriously though, I take that as a huge compliment coming from one as skillful and adroit as yourself Massimo.  Your work over these pages has been a wonder to behold.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Courageous said:

I think Massimo might need a translation for that, Google isn't going to help. :rofl:

Stuart

tattie

NOUN

Scottish 
informal 

A potato.

‘a hot plate of tatties 'n' mince’

More example sentences

Origin

Late 18th century: alteration.

Pronunciation

tattie

/ˈtati/

xk9XWng.jpg

To be honest it rang a bell and I may be not to far from the truth if I say it 's the lighter portion on this wonderful dish I had one year ago in Lennoxtown....am I wrong?:thumbsup:

Edited by Massimo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Massimo, you are correct in that in a literal sense, a tattie is a potato.  However, in Scotanese, to lose the tattie means to lose the place, lose your head, or to lose your temper (it all depends on the situation).

Scottish is like Cantonese - a lot of words have different meanings, it just depends upon how you say it! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Are you going to bother with the hole under the seats?

You could climb up from the cabin into the cockpit and the seat base tilted up. 

In SAR,the Nav normally flew in the left hand seat until arrival at the scene then he would climb down and take up duty as the winch operator.

• Like 2

Massimo,

you might want to take a look at one of my

'kgrhqzq4f-s1ldrlbqcgz2dq60_35.jpg

threads.  This was in 1/48 scale so closer to what you are working with now.  (I did go a little bit overboard with it)

PC310022.JPG&key=7f1ac904105a2cd1b61f63e

P4220012.JPG&key=bd4b8f477130f37dc321eb9

Here's the RFI thread

and more useful to you (hopefully), here's the WIP thread.  A lot of folks made some great contributions to help me get things right.

PS   sorry for polluting your thread, let me know if you want me to remove this.

• Like 7

Hi Massimo, good news you found the ROTORcraft fus plug, what a silly price!!! I you would like to save some cash, cut the fuselage aft of the cabin windows on the panel line and then at the joint of the tail cone. The dimension is 21 mm but should be 27mm. When i made the master, I made up a block of styrene sheet using 1 and 2mm sheet laminated to get 27mm then attahached the fus and tailcone to the black and then say and carved away until I got back to both halves. the bottom of the fus and tailcone are flat so easy to line up.

I think you may have cut too larger hole for the cabin door window but then again?

Any other help you need with the Wessex, just shout. I used to work on them, long ago...

Colin

• Like 3

On 15/01/2019 at 23:29, Scimitar said:

Are you going to bother with the hole under the seats?

You could climb up from the cabin into the cockpit and the seat base tilted up. 

In SAR,the Nav normally flew in the left hand seat until arrival at the scene then he would climb down and take up duty as the winch operator.

I don't really know...my Wessie 'll be parked on deck. What was the seats' position in this scenario? I may add the PJ crew set ... I'll see.

Anyway any suggestions are welcomed!

Edited by Massimo

On 15/01/2019 at 23:56, hendie said:

PS   sorry for polluting your thread, let me know if you want me to remove this.

You call this pollution????Please leave it! It's fantastic and deserves to be watched again and again. It'll be also easier for me to look at it and be inspired!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Hi Massimo, good news you found the ROTORcraft fus plug, what a silly price!!! I you would like to save some cash, cut the fuselage aft of the cabin windows on the panel line and then at the joint of the tail cone. The dimension is 21 mm but should be 27mm. When i made the master, I made up a block of styrene sheet using 1 and 2mm sheet laminated to get 27mm then attahached the fus and tailcone to the black and then say and carved away until I got back to both halves. the bottom of the fus and tailcone are flat so easy to line up.

I think you may have cut too larger hole for the cabin door window but then again?

Any other help you need with the Wessex, just shout. I used to work on them, long ago...

Colin

Hi Colin,

very interesting link, but I've been searching and couldn't find the item you mean...

anyway, with your very important dimensions and suggestion I think I can manage it. I had already had a thought  for how to do it.

Any info about the interior layout  for this configuratuon will be welcomed. 

Were there the canvas seats Hendie built? On a few pictures I've seen , from the open doors you couldn't see the seats...Were they there? Was there some medical equipement on board? 

Thanks 

Massimo

Good evening mates,

tonight I started detailing the interiors. I decided to start from the trunking.

7c6wf4x.jpg

I used the port fuselage half as a template and  marked the windows' position, then I drawed the trunking's shape.

HDiyUw8.jpg

7krn4ba.jpg

Ba2kDRt.jpg

I cut the  trunking and filed it  to the right shape, then cut the vertical part intwo positions and glued another strip of styrene at the back. It isn't finished yet, I'll file and sand it tomorrow.

Yctx7wR.jpg

evTTDxv.jpg

I1YJjGp.jpg

qfc1el6.jpg

GuEcxBB.jpg

These are a few pictures of the building process . Fro outside in this scale, the view should be fine. Now it's time to sleep!!!

Good night!

Massimo

• Like 11

11 hours ago, Massimo said:

What was the seats' position in this scenario?

Down like you show them. I've never seen them kept up. They moved up with your body weight as you climbed up and went down again when there was no weight on them. 

Need somebody who worked on them (Hendie or Heloman ?) to say if they could be fastened up.

The hole is visible though,especially from the cabin looking up. Perhaps a black decal to give the impression of it ?

• Like 1

I'd say that although the holes/gaps/spaces are there they may have been reduced in size to cover the very thick front bulkhead wall, not too difficult to open the front of the well a bit I reckon

Lovely detailing on the side wall Massimo, are you doing as much on the hidden side?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scimitar said:

Need somebody who worked on them (Hendie or Heloman ?) to say if they could be fastened up.

to be honest I cannot remember if the seats could actually be 'fastened' in the up position, though I did fix one in that position to provide a bit of visual interest that you can't see.  I'm sure I've seen photo's with the pan upright and don't remember seeing any fastening device.

I think the pivot point may have allowed the seat pan to remain upright, or fall on the riggers head at the most inopportune moment.

S5003103.JPG&key=4e3956fe1ddd116899c42d5

internals are looking great by the way

Edited by hendie
  • Like 4

@Hendie:    ...as in old cinemas' seats!!!:rofl:

Thanks for the picture, I'll give it a thought!

@Scimitar:    the two holes under the seats are axtually there, no need for any black decal.

@Perdu:       I'll go for the hidden side too...even if it looks rather useless...:hmmm:

One question mark for me is the  main interior layout :

gqVcQEV.jpg

From this and other pictures, you can see in the background against the back window the silouette of the side seats. I assume they were the blue ones in the picture below.

SQJsmHJ.jpg

Was there any first aid kit or a stretcher or in case of accident did they just pick the pilots up from the water with the crane and put theo on the floor and land immediately?

• Like 1