Ark Royal's last cruise -Phantom FG1:Tractor and base close to completion

Massimo

Brilliant work indeed!

One observation though, your decal placement on the port wing is incorrect.

You have both sides with the writing the right way up with the aircraft stood on the tail.

The XV should always be on the out board side as in the decal placement sheet posted by CorsairCorp halfway up page 39.

Hopefully it is not too late to save it!

• Sad 1

NEVER EVER IN HISTORY DID A DECAL ADHERE SO WELL TO A PAINTED SURFACE!!!!:angry::headbang:

1Bq6NF8.jpg

Unfortunately 99,9% of the pictures in my possess show the starboard wingand I missed the codeorientation.

This is the price to pay for something rushed a bit after a looooooooong time of inactivity!

Anyway now it's too late and thanks to "at sea " I realized my mistake.

1Bq6NF8.jpg

2Abx2XV.jpg

cU5rKfV.jpg

The problem was that I had sprayed at least three coats of Future gloss clear on after applying the decal and thus I brushed the area with alcohol to remove the clear coat. The white clouds are due to it.Then I brushed with water as gently as I could, to try to save the decal...

g6yiEgw.jpg

and this is what I got.....:sad:

I think at this point i need help!!!

I don't think it's worth to try using there remains to get a proper code....

so...

ANYONE WHO'S IN POSSESS OF AN AIRFIX BUCCANEER'S  DECAL SHEET AND WOULD LIKE TO GET RID OF IT, OR AT LEAST THE CODE, I'LL BE HAPPY TO BUY IT!!!

For now I'll spray a gloss clear coat to restore the port wing's condition and then I hope another sheet shows up!

I think I've had enough for the day!!!

Good night!

Massimo

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

On 11/29/2017 at 11:09 PM, bar side said:

I remember watching that fly on the wall documentary series on the last cruise of the Ark Royal in the 70s, with Rod Stewart’s Sailing as the theme.  Then one day my godfather ran in to a bloke who said he did a ‘bit of scrap’ and had just bought the Ark Royal!  Aparently he made enough from the copper hull that the rest of the scrap was profit.

Love the idea, but wouldn’t it look cool with 3 or 4 Tooms, a small row of Buccaners, couple of Gannets and Wessexes?  Like a scaled up UK equivalent of those Tamiya Enterprise flight deck pictures but in 1/72.   You know it makes sense....

As it transpired the TV series Sailor wasn't Arks Last cruise. As for the scrapping - the company that bought her went bust and the partially scrapped hulk was sold at least twice!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Massimo said:

...I've thought about it, but ...I haven't got a plotterand with tape...it's impossible!!

Brother, I can feel your pain from here. :sad:

I checked my own Airfix Bucc but codes (and colour) are different regrettably, so here's a suggestion Masimo.

If you give me the exact height of the 'X decal, I think I have the correct font and can cut you out a set of masks (in Oramask) on my Silhouette cutter for you to do a respray instead.

Happy to do this, so don't be shy. :nodding:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

I have a font RAF_PW_ATH which seems to match.

Good spot Adrian!

That seems to be the same filename as August Horvath's rather wonderful set of free Truetypes:

http://aircraft-in-focus.com/ath_aircraft_fonts/

Massimo: just a comparison sample of what these look like in the cutter:

32625178478_46f1aaaa2a_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Massimo I have that font on my computer too

But!

I also have many, many light blue decal sheets suitable to decal the numbers you need

Please measure the exact height of the ones Airfix gave you and post it here 

I will see if I still have them and send you the double set (so you can make both wings the same) to Italia

If you wish

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TheBaron said:

If you give me the exact height of the 'X decal, I think I have the correct font and can cut you out a set of masks (in Oramask) on my Silhouette cutter for you to do a respray instead.

Happy to do this, so don't be shy. :nodding:

8 hours ago, woody37 said:

I may may have some white 48” post war codes in the stash. Sorry about your set back, these things are here to tests us at times!  Gorgeous progress though :)

8 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I have a font RAF_PW_ATH which seems to match.

7 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Good spot Adrian!

That seems to be the same filename as August Horvath's rather wonderful set of free Truetypes:

http://aircraft-in-focus.com/ath_aircraft_fonts/

Massimo: just a comparison sample of what these look like in the cutter:

32625178478_46f1aaaa2a_b.jpg

7 hours ago, perdu said:

I also have many, many light blue decal sheets suitable to decal the numbers you need

I will see if I still have them and send you the double set (so you can make both wings the same) to Italia

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR VERY APPRECIATED OFFERS TO GIVE YOUR CONTRIBUTION TO RESOLVE THE PROBLEM!!!

TODAY I HAD ANOTHER OFFER FROM ENRYWAR, WHO VOLUNTEERED TO MAKE A MASK FOR ME TOO AND , AS I KNOW HIM PERSONALLY AND  I'LL PROBABLY MEET HIM IN THE NEXT FEW MONTHS, IT MAY RESULT EASIER TO ACCEPT HIS OFFER.

BTW ALL THESE INFO ABOUT THE FONT TYPE WILL BE VERY HELPFUL FOR THIS AND OTHER PROJECTS, 

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN FOR PARTICIPATING TO MY DRAMA...:rofl:...AND FOR OFFERING YOUR HELP!!!:worthy:

7 hours ago, At Sea said:

@Massimo Mi dispiace molto! 

I am so sorry I noticed it so late.  I'm sure it will be saveable. 

Not your fault, thank you for noticing it when there's still time to put things right!!!

While I'm here, a couple of pictures of my morning progress...not much really! 

LydD4Pm.jpg

aj888ui.jpg

Now I'm not home. I'll be away for a few days, thus no more modelling untill I'm back!

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 10

6 hours ago, limeypilot said:

What a fantastic response to a fellow modeller's plight. Only on BM! What a great bunch!

Ian

I agree the support & offers for Massimo's decal issue has been great on BM - I have had generous help too but on LSP website - a modeller in the States sent me a package which was basically the Hasegawa 1/32 A4E Skyhawk kit minus the fuselage, wings and tailplanes - gratis - he said was just keeping the karma going having been on the receiving end of other modellers generosity - seems to be a universal trait.

CJP

Edited by CJP
text
  • Like 4

That'strue for me too!!!

This project couldn't even start without the precious help of many mates supplying decals, precious reference, decals, resin seats ans loads of info. It's really a team work!!!

Thank you all!!!

Massimo

• Like 5

Happy New Year!!!

Thank God I'm back home, so this afternoon I could spend some time on the Buccaneer's ladders I had started a few days ago.

Ybq6VRb.jpg

tGbZh8s.jpg

FhGXPnX.jpg

LqDhZ3C.jpg

8mpKL7r.jpg

mxSdlIR.jpg

I used a contrail rod for the side spars, but to get the steps and frames in scate, I had to use some stretched sprue. Tamiya green cap was ued to glue all parts together. I envy those solder wizards who've worked miracles on other threads, but this is the material I'm used to!

On many pictures I've seen , only one ladder's got wheels...so...I've gone for this configuration.

To be able to fit them to the kit, I've drilled four holes to house some pins located on the ladders's top frames.

Here below what they look like once in place.

4LCtjux.jpg

jUd7N5p.jpg

KLyACoF.jpg

z7Jc9oI.jpg

45r3m6t.jpg

Of course this is a dry fit,, but I'm quite happy with the result. Once painted red, theyìll contribute to  give a bit of life to the kit.

That's it for tonight. Tomorrow I'd like to spend some time on the arresting hook and the retractable pedestal used to hold Buccaneers nose up during launch.

Good night!

Massimo

• Like 6

Neat work on those ladders Massimo - it would have been fiddly getting those delicate frame supports together

CJP                                    

• Thanks 1