Hs 123A. Itareri's finest mojo mangler (or - I should have gone to Gaspatch).

Gorby

I have vented my spleen as regards this kit on the WIP thread:

My build review is: 'Buy Gaspatch'.

So after five months of this spasmodic, laborious, Sisyphean task, this is the result. I hope you like it. I'm just going to stand in the corner and whimper quietly to myself.

404788-20442-62.jpg

404787-20442-18.jpg

404789-20442-49.jpg

404790-20442-22.jpg

404791-20442-49.jpg

404792-20442-68.jpg

404793-20442-63.jpg

404794-20442-73.jpg

404795-20442-98.jpg

404796-20442-52.jpg

404797-20442-84.jpg

404798-20442-38.jpg

404799-20442-83.jpg

The flaps are moulded closed, but I thought I might as well make my life more complicated than it already is.

404800-20442-98.jpg

For their help in this build (whether they know it or not) I would like to thank @vags, @CedB and Gaspatch.

Thanks for looking, comments any sympathy welcome.

• Like 34

No need to whimper! :winkgrin:

You've taken a basic kit and turned it into a great model! :goodjob:

Ohhh - the modeling skills you must have learned! :D

Let me just say, that I would be happy, if mine turned out this good! :winkgrin:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

• Thanks 1

Good morning,

the baby looks perfect, despite the labor pains you must have endured!

The first thing I said to myself when I saw your build was: "Woah, which paint did he use, as they look so good!". So it's official, I am color blind! But your choice of paints still looks smashing!

The only 123 I have in the stash is the old 1/72 Airfix one, so I think you started with a better proposition. Despite the problems you encountered you achieved something stunning.

Congrats

JR

• Thanks 1

Many, many thanks to:

@HansReggelsen, @Michael Enright, @polo1112, @russ c, @Rob G, @Spitfire31, @Vinnie, & @jean

And thanks to everyone who has clicked 'Like'.

I also forgot to thank those who encouraged me during the WIP.

(I'll try to keep my Oscar acceptance speech to slightly less than a page).

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Jean: I don't stress about the exact paint match, I just use my home-made swatch to choose the nearest Tamiya paint, because Tamiya paint is all I have. The underside colour I mixed to get RLM 65, but the camo is XF-25 (light grey), XF-11 (green) and XF-9 (brown). I did the Airfix 123 when I was a kid, which I almost certainly built and painted within a day. What would that kid think of me taking five months! Probably think “What a crap modeller, I can do that much quicker!”.

Incidentally, I've been wondering how things are going for you in Zimbabwe, I hope the situation is OK?

Gorby

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gorby said:

Jean: I don't stress about the exact paint match, I just use my home-made swatch to choose the nearest Tamiya paint, because Tamiya paint is all I have. The underside colour I mixed to get RLM 65, but the camo is XF-25 (light grey), XF-11 (green) and XF-9 (brown). I did the Airfix 123 when I was a kid, which I almost certainly built and painted within a day. What would that kid think of me taking five months! Probably think “What a crap modeller, I can do that much quicker!”.

Incidentally, I've been wondering how things are going for you in Zimbabwe, I hope the situation is OK?

Gorby

Hi Gorby,

I agree with you when you say that stressing about perfectly exact paint hues is not necessary. Your 123 is another proof as far as I am concerned. 

Having said that, 5 months for a model is really fast for me! But I was as fast as your young self was, when I was young... So old age makes us slow! It is now official.

Re Zimbabwe, we left the country on the day of the coup and we were lucky the airport had not been closed. We are now in Cornwall, heading for Bristol tomorrow, and it is great to be in a "free" country, and away from the upper 40s temperatures! Re Zim, it is too early to get drunk, but the necessary first step has been taken. So fingers crossed! 

Cheers

JR

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Buzby061 said:

Great job on a kit that takes no prisoners.

Pete

You can say it! I am now struggling to bring the two wings together, but...

NOTHING matches. I have used a lot of swear words, but I think it wouldn't be done this evening...

Maybe tomorrow; I think I have to enlarge the holes where the cabane masts will settle.

More informations tomorrow.

Have a good night. Polo.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, polo1112 said:

You can say it! I am now struggling to bring the two wings together, but...

NOTHING matches. I have used a lot of swear words, but I think it wouldn't be done this evening...

Maybe tomorrow; I think I have to enlarge the holes where the cabane masts will settle.

More informations tomorrow.

Have a good night. Polo.

Bonne courage!

Pete

• Like 1

Thank you very much Buzby but I won't do anything more this evening, as I am too tired.

As we say in France:"demain est un autre jour" which means: "tomorrow is another day".

(and perhaps this day will be THE Day where these d...ned wings will match!)

• Like 2

Nice work, especially considering the traumatic build.  Hope you've recovered and that the next kit is easier on the sanity.

• Thanks 1

Thank you @Buzby061, @Maxidad, @spiton for your nice comments.

@polo1112: Aaar yes, I remember it well :crying:. The way I eventually did it after a couple of failed attempts, was to start by increasing the size of the holes that the central supports fit into. Then I concentrated on the centre supports first and held the front ones in place with pointed reverse action tweezers each side. Then when those were completely dry, I glued the main wing supports. It still needed plenty of filler on the centre supports.

If you are at the point of fitting the top wing then the pain is nearly over - good luck.

Gorby

Thank you very much Gorby for your kind words.

I thought yesterday about increasing the diameter of the holes in the upper wing

and I see that you did it too.

I will give this trick a chance this evening.

• Like 1

I share your pain. I'm working on this lovely piece of..........plastic right now.  From your results you have far more patience than I.  It looks fantastic.  I think so far this kit holds the record for most putty required to fill gaps.

• Thanks 1