HobbyBoss 1/48 F-80C Shooting Star Korean War

Based at Suwon (K-13) during the Korean War in 1952, "Evil Eye Fleagle" was a Lockheed F-80C Shooting Star serial 49-547 assigned to the 36th FBS (Fighter Bomber Squadron) under the 8th FBG (Fighter Bomber Group). The Lockheed Shooting Star was a first generation jet and as the Korean war progressed the type struggled against the MiG-15 however performed sterling service in the bomber role in a very harsh environment.

This is the HobbyBoss 1/48th kit of the F-80C, it can be built as "Evil Eye Fleagle" or the equally well-known "Saggin Dragon". I chose the first aircraft as it was supposed to be a quick build and I didn't have the blue paint needed for "Saggin Dragon".

IMGP3112F-80C

If I recall correctly the HobbyBoss kit was slated for the inaccurately sized air intakes. MJW Models were offering the kit at a very reasonable price so I decided to give it a try. It went together very well and needed a minimum of filler which is a real bonus for me anyways!

IMGP3114F-80C

The decals also went on well however the kit instructions are a little bit vague. I added Misawa wing-tip tanks which are correct for 1952 however as far as I can tell they didn't carry the red stripes as shown in the instructions.

IMGP3120F-80C

I wanted to depict a worn and well-used Korean theatre aircraft. Currently I don't have a functioning airbrush so I decided to use a rattle can of Halfords Aluminium which went on really well. Detail painting was done by using Vallejo Model-Color acrylics and again these went on well. I then mixed some dark grey paint with enamel thinners and brushed this over the entire aircraft to give a "dirty" look then sealed it all with a matt Humbrol spray.

IMGP3123F-80C

The only thing I am not happy with is the canopy painting, I used Vallejo Silver then Airfix 11 acrylic silver but it didn't go on very well though hopefully I can get away with it by claiming it is "Korean weathering" and wear and tear!

IMGP3115F-80C

So was it worth it? Yes, I now have an in-theatre Korean workhorse and I love this old first generation jet. Some learning for the next time, maybe the RF-80 kit next?

Michael

• Like 19

3 hours ago, CurrantBunbury said:

I like this. I think you've done a good job on the weathering - it looks mucky in an operational sort of way. :thumbsup2:

Thanks, it was more by luck than judgement! I wanted her to look grubby but without exaggerated dark panel lines. I referenced colour photos from the Osprey book 'Korea - The Air War (2)'

Michael