1/72nd Matchbox Halifax- FINISHED

tonyot

Hiya Folks,

It had to be done,......I`m going to tackle the Halibag! I`m not sure which version yet,....I have three in mind;

1- Mk.II- 138 Sqn Special Duties

2- G.Mk.V- Airborne Forces glider tug, N.Africa/Sicily 1943 with desert bomber scheme and Z Nose.

3- M.Mk.II- Desert Air Force with desert bomber scheme.

Anyway, here is the kit;

DSCF1775DSCF1774DSCF1773

And some extras;

DSCF1772

Including the Aeroclub white metal prop blades and an old vacformed Z Nose,......another Z Nose from Freightdog and some turrets left over from the Revell kit,....I may be dipping into the Revell spares box a little more, especially if I decide upon a Mk.V with the different undercarriage!

Also,...I was going to do a Tempest but one of the upper wing sections, a tailplane and the canopy is missing,....yet another model show buy!! So we`ll sack that one!

Cheers for now,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 15

This will be good!  

One of the desert schemes would get my vote.

The Matchbox Halifax is a new on on me, having been brought up on the old Airfix version. The two would look good side by side. I'll add it to the list. 

• Like 2

Don't add it to your list, it is pretty awful in just about every detail imaginable - but particularly the turret nose, and everything on the wing forward of the leading edge.  To its credit, the overall dimensions and proportions are good, as are the tailwheel, the mainwheels and the size of the ailerons underwing.  Better transparencies are available from Falcon, including the area around the main canopy.  The newer Revell Merlin Halifax is better on pretty well every count including panel lines; except for the tailwheel, mainwheels, aileron size, and everything forward of the leading edge.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So good to see the Halibag added to this GB Tony. 

I'm sure you'll massage it into something quite presentable once finished. 

Cheers and watching from afar (in between the Brisbane Ashes Test of course!)... Dave  

• Like 2

Cheers for the messages of good will,..... tonight I`ve stuck the wings together, attached the nose halves to the fuselage halves and done some interior panting.

I`m now researching some schemes and here some of the Halibags which interest me;

138 Sqn;

Related image

Image result for halifax 138 sqnImage result for halifax nf-v

I`ve got these decals too;

Image result for halifax 138 sqn

Image result for halifax nf-v

Halifax II, W1007, NF-U,...138 Sqn.;

Image result for halifax nf-v

I quite like this aircraft too,.....but might do this with the Revell kit as the later nose is much better in this kit,.. Halifax II, JP201, GR-L, of 1586 Polish Special Duties Flight at Brindisi, Italy, 1944. There is an aircraft from this unit wearing a huge Pegasus nose art,.....but I don`t know the serial!;

Related image

or;

Related image

10 Sqn det/462 Sqn, RAAF in the Western Desert,...I have quite a few in books too,....here is a taster,.....;

Image result for halifax desert raafImage result for halifax  africa raafImage result for halifax desert raaf

Related image

Image result for halifax desert raafmid_000000.jpgImage result for halifax 462 sqn desert raafImage result for halifax 462 sqn desert raaf

Halifax II, Series I, W1170, `U', 462 Sqn, RAAF, Fayid, Egypt;

Image result for halifax 462 sqn desert raaf

Image result for halifax 462 sqn desert raafImage result for halifax 462 sqn desert raafImage result for halifax  africa

Image result for halifax egypt

Halifax II, DT501, J, 462 Sqn, Libya 1943;

Image result for 462 sqnImage result for 462 sqnImage result for 462 sqnRelated image

Halifax II, DT498, C, 462 Sqn, Fayid, 1942;

Image result for 462 sqn

Halifax GT.V, 295 Sqn, 38 Group, Airborne Forces, N.Africa for use in Invasion of Sicily;

Image result for halifax  africa

Image result for halifax  africaImage result for halifax  africa

So that is me just thinking out loud,..

Cheers for now,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 10

Thanks everybody,...and sorry Steve,....too late,..... but if anything it looks too short to me!

Here are the wings and tail assembled;

DSCF1776

And here are the nose sections attached to the fuselage halves,....I used small sections of plastic card to strengthen the joint and a couple of coats of RAF Interior Green Grey;

DSCF1778

The cockpit parts have been started and received a coat of Interior Green Grey;

DSCF1780

Filler was applied to the nose to fuselage joint and also to the rather heavy panel lines around the nose. The cockpit has been assembled (apart from the control column which has gone walkabouts!) and had a watercolour wash and some black detail paintwork,....just needs a dry brush of silver,.... once I`ve bought the paint! The interior of the nose area was painted back,.... don`t know if this is correct for the earlier variants, but was an anti search light measure on the later variants,...and it cannot be seen anyway.  ;

DSCF1781DSCF1782

I`m pretty sure that I`ve decided on building the model with a nose turret,.....but using one left over from the Revell kit as it looks better than the kit item;

DSCF1783

Looking further into the future,....I`m going to have a go at opening out the engine intakes and maybe using the left over Revell radiator parts;

DSCF1784

So thats it for now, all the best.

Tony

• Like 8

Hiya Folks,

Spent Sunday at home resting up so managed to get some more done on the Halibag. 

As mentioned previously, I want to use a spare Revell Halifax nose turret and here it is (on the left), built up, alongside the rather insipid looking Matchbox kit item;

DSCF1789_NEW

They were both test fitted to the kit;

Revell;

DSCF1794_NEW

Matchbox;

DSCF1796_NEW

As you can see the nose will not close around the Revell turret,..... but as it looks so much better than the Matchbox turret I decided to open up the mounting hole to allow the turret to sit in place and also remove some plastic from the area behind the turret and also underneath,..to create a bit more room. 

Next,... the interior of the cockpit and nose was spruced up a bit. Among the extra work done here was to cut away a section of the floor in the pilots cockpit underneath the instrument panel......at first I was going to live with the Matchbox error of including a fixed seat for the Air Engineer,.... but after I was asked by Jonny if I was going to do something about it the gauntlet was down,..... so I  cut this away and as it left a square hole in the floor the entire floor area was covered with a piece of plastic card to create a new floor. More plastic card was used to create positions for the Navigator and Wireless Operator down in the nose along with some spare seats from the Revell kit (one of them fell out prior to the photo,...but it has since been added again! Plastic card was also used to strengthen the cockpit floor and also to creat a bulkhead for the lower nose area with thicker scrap plastic used to fashion a seat back for the pilot, to which was added a harness of Tamiya tape,..along with plastic rod arm rests and a seat adjustment lever.  

As the Matchbox Halifax is quite a delicate thing with pretty poor seam lines along the fuselage which are quite prone to opening back up again,.....plastic card was also added vacuform style along the seams to help make them stronger;

DSCF1807_NEW

I was stuggling for daylight by this stage so the photos are not very good......but as I`ve decided (so far) to go for the 138 Sqn Special Duties aircraft I also stole the  `joe hole' parachute exit from an unbuilt Revell kit and opened up a hole in the Matchbox fuselage.

DSCF1815DSCF1816

And here are the fuselage halves,..ready to join;

DSCF1818

Cheers,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 13

Nice work there Tony :thumbsup:

I built a Spec Ops Series 2 Halifax from 148SQN a few years ago for an ex-RAAF chap who was a Navigator on them, it was from this kit and I had to scratch build the 'Joe hole' and various other bits. I did not know the Revell kit comes with these parts.

Anyway, I have another kit to do this same build for myself one day. I had thought about it for this GB but I am not sure I will have the time with my other builds on the bench.

Looking forward to seeing yours finished.

• Like 1

Cheers Chaps,.......well here is another update;

Those engine nacelles are awful,..... so I`ve decided to spruce them up using the nacelles from the Revell kit as a source of spares;

DSCF1819

From left to right we have;

1/ the basic Matchbox nacelle front (in black) with the Revell radiator and nacelle in front and behind.

2/ Next, the Matchbox part is having the radiator intake opened up using a drill, while the bulge on the bottom of the Revell intake has been removed ready to add to the Matchbox part which does not have this represented in any way.

3/ With the intake opened up the lower section has a groove filed into it ready to accept the lower intake, while the Revell radiator is reduced to make it fit the narrower Matchbox nacelle. The Revell nacelle was also cut open in order to use the roof fairing above the intake. 

4/ The finished nacelle. 

DSCF1823

The finished nacelle below;

DSCF1822

In order to allow the Revell nose turret to fit properly the nose are underneath it was widened slightly,....using a piece of plastic strip glued around the rim, and then filler was backfilled underneath. Hopefully this will work!;

DSCF1827

As the Matchbox kit does not have any representation of the scalloped nose found on the real aircraft, I have tried to sand the upper right hand area in front of the cockpit to give some indication of this. The entire nose seems to drop down too steeply towards the turret compared to the real aircraft but there is nothing that can be done about this;

DSCF1826

Here is the full fuselage, with panel lines scribed and seams sanded, a new port hole was added above the wings on each side of the fuselage. As the 138 Sqn Halifax was an early variant it retains the waist gun positions and the layout of the rear fuselage portholes does not need to be changed,.... unlike later variants;

DSCF1828DSCF1825

And here are the wings and tail all sanded,....along with the first of the completed radiator nacelles;

DSCF1829

So,..quite a bit of progress was carried out yesterday!

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 11

Haha,.....yeah Beard,.....it is a bit of a pig if you want to make it look a bit better,......it is simple straight out of the box mind you, if you can live with the poor nose turret,..... the kit also has the later clear nose too!

Well today I have finished the radiator nacelles;

DSCF1832

And test fitted the wings as well as fitting the horizontal tailplanes too;

DSCF1834DSCF1835

Although the wings have some real trench lines sunk into them, I`ve decided to leave them alone and not fill them.

Here is a close up of the nose with the Revell turret in place;

DSCF1836

I`ll probably paint the model with the wings off and then attach them afterwards,......so just tidy up the radiators and it will be almost time to paint,

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 11

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

Too bad you don't have a set of these.

Galley2

Chris

Yes Chris,.....thanks for pointing that out! If I had some,.... I would have used them,..... but I tried getting some a few years ago without any joy, including a request here on BM,.....however my `fix' is better than nothing,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tonyot said:

Yes Chris,.....thanks for pointing that out! If I had some,.... I would have used them,..... but I tried getting some a few years ago without any joy, including a request here on BM,.....however my `fix' is better than nothing,

Cheers

Tony

I also have a set of radiator parts in resin, not sure if they are Aeroclub or not. I think I will have to hunt them down and check them out.

I've nothing but admiration for the work you are putting in here, the model is going to be a cracker by the look of it.

I must admit, I would have built it straight out of the box and would have been happy with a clean build. That's me and my take on old models.

I suspect I would sneak quietly out the building with it, should yours turn up at the same modellers meeting though.

I'm looking forward to seeing this one progress.

Tony.

• Like 1