Help me build a Sherman +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

Whilst trawling through the pictures that @Army_Air_Force was good enough to send me I noticed something else that I could maybe have a mess with...

sherman039.jpg 

...these rings on the back are missing from the kit - not surprising for a 1/72 quick build wargamer kit - but seeing as I'm having fun and I'm riding my luck I decided to have a play...

sherman040.jpg

I skimmed off the kit blob and drilled a couple of holes - then used some fuse wire...

sherman041.jpg

...it seemed to work ok and I think when it's painted it will look better than the blob - but I was halfway there by this time so had to do the other side - whether I wanted to or not...

sherman042.jpg

I know they stick out like a 'sore thumb' - but you have to look past the shininess.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bangor Lad said:

Stretched sprue should do you fine for the radio aerials.

Cheers

Dave - I found these after a fight with a cat :lol:

5 minutes ago, Bangor Lad said:

Stretched sprue should do you fine for the radio aerials.

Cheers

Have you any idea on how big they are though???

6 hours ago, Niall said:

Most British Shermans had no pivot MG on the turret.

...as promised I've filled in the hole for the MG...

sherman043.jpg

...and whilst I had the Mr Surfacer out I filled in that sink mark on the mantlet...

sherman044.jpg

On ‎25‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 01:38, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

If youre going to pose this in a column. Id say leave the commander in the hatch. 

I used to use very fine wire for aerials on my tanks. 

For aircraft & armor you can use hollow brass or aluminum tubing for gun barrels. Thats what i use.

Sorry Uncle - I've decided to go 'closed' on this one - but don't worry - there are 2 more and at least one will have the tank commander popping his head out for a good nosey round...

sherman046.jpg

I think this is the correct angle - with the round bit on the right door - nearest the edge of the turret - but if anyone can confirm this it would be reassuring...

• Like 1

I've stuck these 'spikey things' on the front...

sherman045.jpg

...I have no clue what they are called or what they are for - but having said that I had no clue what the roller on the front of halftracks was for :doh:

Looking at the 'real thing' again I can see more hooking points...

sherman047.jpg

...but looking at the fitting point for the 'spikey things' on the kit - I don't think I can squeeze these in...

sherman048.jpg

This front view also shows me where the spare road wheel and jerry can could be located - as the meagre instructions don't.

sherman047.jpg

...and whilst I remember - what does the white marking on the jerry can signify - I know it means 'something' :blush:

41 minutes ago, BIG X said:

This front view also shows me where the spare road wheel and jerry can could be located - as the meagre instructions don't.

sherman047.jpg

...and whilst I remember - what does the white marking on the jerry can signify - I know it means 'something' :blush:

It’s a liberated German Jerry can and from memory it indicates that’s it’s water not fuel ? 

Good for daylight indication but at night if you fuel was in the same can as your water can would you take a swig ?  I’m going to say “Benz or kero “ those who served will know as it was the standard test at night to make sure you didn’t use the wrong can of fuel. It involved dipping your fingers in the can an sniffing the contents to make sure you didn’t chuck petrol into a diesel Land Rover or AFV

It did evolve into a more sinister jape , I’ll not go there as it’s not to most people’s taste :huh: and a topic for another time .

It why why we have used since the 1960’s plastic jerry cans for water :yes: just so at night you can tell what’s in the can. 

This might help for your build on the details btw , not a firefly but you’ll get the idea.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234997677-tamiya-m4a3-75mm-sherman/

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Have you any idea on how big they are though???

That's a good question! When I've added aerials I simply use a photograph to get the best idea of how long they should be plus an indication as to how thick the aerials should be. I'd be inclined to make them thinner than you'd imagine as they are never that prominent in photos.

• Thanks 1

Regarding aerials. After a quick search of the net, there aren't many photos that show the aerials clearly. The ones that do show them, the aerials look to be about 6 feet in length. If they are using the standard aerials that are also fitted to Jeeps, then they are only using two segments of a five segment aerial. Presumably, in tank battlefield communications, long range isn't necessary, so they probably didn't need the full 15 feet of aerial waving around. I don't have my aerials at home; they are in the Dodge in its storage yard, but next time I'm over there, I'll have to try and remember to get some measurements.

Here you can see the full height of all five segments. Each is colour coded at the screw joint to make identification of each part and assembly easier.

snow5.jpg

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Army_Air_Force said:

Regarding aerials. After a quick search of the net, there aren't many photos that show the aerials clearly. The ones that do show them, the aerials look to be about 6 feet in length. If they are using the standard aerials that are also fitted to Jeeps, then they are only using two segments of a five segment aerial. Presumably, in tank battlefield communications, long range isn't necessary, so they probably didn't need the full 15 feet of aerial waving around. I don't have my aerials at home; they are in the Dodge in its storage yard, but next time I'm over there, I'll have to try and remember to get some measurements.

Here you can see the full height of all five segments. Each is colour coded at the screw joint to make identification of each part and assembly easier.

snow5.jpg

Don’t forget the firefly used British radios, not US types, I think the US used 1/2 wavelength antennas and usually tied them them down, to stop them hitting power lines, and electrocuting the poor operator. Us Brits used 1/4 wavelength whip antennas so a lot shorter, I’m not sure on the exact length but 3m would be about right ..ish, maybe 4m max 

I know for a fact, that a Clansman Radio VHF whip was 2m and the HF whip was 3-4 m , it’s long after the Second World War but the fundamentals of our coms kit never really changed until the introduction of the Bowman system. I was trained on Clansman and we still had antenna elements and kit dating from the 40’s ,50’s and 60’s on charge. 

I took a role of R4 copper wire to Bosnia back in 1995 which is used in building HF dipole antennas which was dated 1944, should of kept it as it was bagged and like new.

• Thanks 1

I wasn't looking at the Firefly particularly, just Sherman pics in general. Most of the pictures I saw seemed to have aerials about 3 or 6 feet, which would be one or two segments of the US type aerial. A search for "Firefly" may bring more specific results for aerial length.

• Thanks 1

The number of Fireflies to Sherman's in a platoon depends upon the date you wish to depict, 1 in June, 2 in August, 3 in October and all Fireflies in December. However the Guards armoured division had 4 platoons of 3 tanks, The 7th armoured division had Cromwells not Shermans, the 11th armoured division did not get the 4th Firefly as they turned in their tanks in December 1944 and were given leave, but were recalled to fight in the battle of the bulge after which they got Comets. The independent armoured and tank brigades with Shermans had 2 platoons of 4 Shermans and 1 platoon of 4 Fireflies, these units seem to have had a second Firefly platoon by October 1944.

The upper hull lugs were used when the vehicle was lifted by crane so rarely, if ever had shackles.

• Thanks 1

Regarding aerial length on British tanks, take a look at this;  http://www.track-link.com/reviews/2080

It should answer your question. Bear in mind that each aerial had a different base. A third aerial could sometimes be found on tanks if it was a command tank, but in your case, I wouldn't worry about that.

John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Evening All - as Dickson of Dock Green used to say.  Quite a bit of progress to report...

'At last' I hear you say - but all the research has been ESSENTIAL AND ABOVE ALL - FUN!!!

When you've never built a tank before there is so much to learn - so thanks for all the help so far to @Army_Air_Force @Badder @Arachnid @Kris B @Soeren @Troy Smith @Mike @Bullbasket @AgentG @Corsairfoxfouruncle @Bangor Lad @Niall @Dads203

...so don't let me down now guys - I'm sure there will be lots more questions soon.

First off - that 'cats whisker' or as it turned out brush bristle - all 0.2mm of it...

sherman049.jpg

...it's hard to believe you would get 5 to 1mm - but that's how tiny this is.

• Like 2

Now I have been having a bit of a 'glue fest' - the hatches are on...

sherman050.jpg

...that thing at the back of the turret has had that other thing glued to it - WHAT ON EARTH ARE THEY???

sherman052.jpg

...and then glued to the turret itself - hope I got it the right way round :doh:

I am glad I didn't have to assemble all these - like on a 'real model'...

sherman053.jpg

...but with the amount of paint I  slop on it would have been wasted effort anyway - so I'm pleased with the detail in these.

There isn't much in the way of stowage and the carpet monster has already eaten one item - but this is what we have...

sherman054.jpg

...now we are all chopped and glued - it is time for priming :D

In shock news tonight - Halfords have run out of grey primer!!!!!!

Well my local Halfords anyway - so white primer it is...

sherman055.jpg

...doesn't look too bad...

sherman056.jpg

My attempts at 'scratch building' courtesy of a Bic lighter and some fuse wire are beginning to 'blend in'...

The Bic lighter nozzle machine gun looks OK and that sink mark has gone...

sherman058.jpg 

and my fuse wire towing ringy thingys don't look 'too stark' now...

sherman057.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow will see a little bit of sanding back / filling / smoothing - anything that 'pops out' - then it's on with the SCC15 and some work on those tracks - no pressure there then :doh: