Revell Mosquito Mk. IV (1/48)

Revell Mosquito Mk IV. 

Finally got round to finishing my Revell Mosquito after a lot of time and issues and am quite happy with the result.

Although the kit had major fit issues they are almost completely hidden with a lot of filler ( and mess in the process after one of my tubes exploded at the other end :( ), I still really enjoyed building the kit. Ever since I was a kid I was fascinated by the Mosquito and its roles in the Second World War and finally got a chance to build one so its fair to say this has been my favourite build in 1/48th scale.

I am still learning methods etc. for building model kits and have been doing it less than a year so still have a lot more to learn, but I think I am getting to a stage where I am happy with the results of the builds enough to post them, my only issue is the fact I am using a phone camera which doesn't highlight parts you see in a more natural light so may have to borrow my sisters DSLR next time and get her to show me a tutorial on how to use it....

At a later date, I plan on buying a vacuform canopy and bomb sight as this is the main issue I had after building the kit, and delayed me finishing the kit. I also had to make my own window on the port side out of a plastic bottle as I managed to lose it but feel this didnt turn out too bad in the end.

I also plan on building a  base for this kit, such as a summer time airfield and paint up the ladder to make a mini diorama but that can be a post x-mas project.

P.S. 

I still have no clue how to make the images smaller, but at least they are no longer links...

Hope you all enjoy, 

Ryan

y3Hoxzi.jpg

5gBzXLF.jpg

3P3pbgv.jpg

eKc6zQJ.jpg

uvWtrZE.jpg

k1T5QPt.jpg

o45RbNI.jpg

5XXHw1O.jpg

rhEq7f6.jpg

kq0Xmlh.jpg

• Like 18

5 hours ago, RiotRolo said:

Its the old revell kit with eduard interior

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

shows you what can be done with one of these older kits

The Revell kit is not very old,  done by Revell of  Germany in the  last 10  years. 

You maybe thinking of the Monogram kit, fromthe 60's, possibly redone as Revell at some point in the USA.

4 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Good job, you don't see many Revell Mossies on here. 

for these reasons

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234964535-148-revell-mosquito-biv-updates/

@RiotRolo  kit flaws aside,  that's come out really well,  the upper surface paint job is really well done

rhEq7f6.jpg

3355755597_818bfbfc73_o.jpgMosquito's by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

more Mossie colour here

https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=8270787@N07&q=mosquito

courtesy of @Etiennedup

• Like 3

Very presentable Mossie!

RiotRolo wrote: "I also had to make my own window on the port side out of a plastic bottle as I managed to lose it but feel this didnt turn out too bad in the end."

That's a true modeller speaking! With that attitude, I think that you may have a great modelling future. :cheers:

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Spitfire31 said:

Very presentable Mossie!

RiotRolo wrote: "I also had to make my own window on the port side out of a plastic bottle as I managed to lose it but feel this didnt turn out too bad in the end."

That's a true modeller speaking! With that attitude, I think that you may have a great modelling future. :cheers:

Kind regards,

Joachim

Yup RR !

I seconds Joachim words ! Perfect modellers attitude !

And a very good Mosquito, I'm struggling with my Revell Mossie too !

Congratulations :yes:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

Very nice @RiotRolo!

I have one of these to do at some point.

Read about the accuracy issues and also some people seem to have had problems when mating the fuselage "halfs" - did you have issues with that and / or other parts?

Cheers

Ian

5 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

Very nice @RiotRolo!

Read about the accuracy issues and also some people seem to have had problems when mating the fuselage "halfs" - did you have issues with that and / or other parts?

Cheers

Ian

Hello Lawzer !

Yes ! That's why mine has been relegated for a while !!

I will take her back, I just wait for the mossiemojo to be back at an good level !

Mating the 2 fuselage halves is ueiyerhudsqyryrfuly !!! I stay polite ! did'nt I ??

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Haha 1

Lovely model!  I particularly like the insides and the bomb bay.

Some tips for taking photos of completed model kits from a lecture I attended delivered by a professional in the field:

1. Try to use natural light, but not direct or bright sunlight.  Alternatively use a daylight bulb in a desk lamp.
  2. Use a tripod.
  3. Do not use flash.
  4. Set ISO as low as possible - I use ISO100.
  5. Set white balance for the conditions you're photographing in.
  6. Set aperture as small as possible (big number - I aim for f25 or thereabouts) to get most depth of field - that is to say as much as possible of the model in focus.
  7. Use a cable release or the self-timer to take the photo.

Apologies if you know all this already & it's just the absence of a camera that was the issue!

18 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

The Revell kit is not very old,  done by Revell of  Germany in the  last 10  years. 

You maybe thinking of the Monogram kit, fromthe 60's, possibly redone as Revell at some point in the USA.

for these reasons

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234964535-148-revell-mosquito-biv-updates/

@RiotRolo  kit flaws aside,  that's come out really well,  the upper surface paint job is really well done

rhEq7f6.jpg

3355755597_818bfbfc73_o.jpgMosquito's by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

more Mossie colour here

https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=8270787@N07&q=mosquito

courtesy of @Etiennedup

Yeah, there are a variety of issues with the kit, I would have much preferred to work on the Tamiya version but as always, I buy my kits cheap off ebay and not many tamiya kits come up too often for a good price. The engine nacelles are especially bad, I used a lot of putty and did a lot of sanding to get it even close to what it should look like.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lawzer said:

Very nice @RiotRolo!

Cheers

Ian

Thanks Ian, 

I found the fuselage halfs fit to be very poor, I would have either had either 5mm gap on the top side or 5mm gap on the underside of the kit depending on how I fixed it together. In the end, as you can kind of see in the bomb bay photo; I sanded down the sides which helped the topside fit with minimal filler and the underside having to be filled with putty to hide the 5mm gap.

With a 1/48th kit, 5mm is quite substantial too! 

Thanks again :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, C&WR said:

Lovely model!  I particularly like the insides and the bomb bay.

Some tips for taking photos of completed model kits from a lecture I attended delivered by a professional in the field:

1. Try to use natural light, but not direct or bright sunlight.  Alternatively use a daylight bulb in a desk lamp.
  2. Use a tripod.
  3. Do not use flash.
  4. Set ISO as low as possible - I use ISO100.
  5. Set white balance for the conditions you're photographing in.
  6. Set aperture as small as possible (big number - I aim for f25 or thereabouts) to get most depth of field - that is to say as much as possible of the model in focus.
  7. Use a cable release or the self-timer to take the photo.

Apologies if you know all this already & it's just the absence of a camera that was the issue!

Thanks, I enjoy hearing ways to improve the kits and how I showcase them. Under most circumstances I will try and use natural light as it shows the kit off better however by the time I get home from work it is pitch black :(

For my next build I will try and incorporate these tips, again I really appreciate the feedback :)

Cheers

2 hours ago, RiotRolo said:

I would have much preferred to work on the Tamiya version but as always, I buy my kits cheap off ebay and not many tamiya kits come up too often for a good price.

well, get up to 100 posts on here and you can use the sale pages, including posting wanted requests.   On ebay Tamiya aren't that cheap,  but ebay is "funny",  and they can be got for a good price if you look.

Cheap is relative,  I've seen Tamiya Mossies on sale for  under £20 here.   Don't dismiss the old  Airfix 1/48 kit either,very well  shaped.

Though I have come to the conclusion that you get what  you pay for,   in the case you added Eduard etch, plus paint and your time,   and   I'd  be surprised if you  got this for less than £10 and post?   At least the decals are decent.

The key is research,   read the background on kit,  ee what you get in the package and it's good and bad points.  (says he who has now made a hobby of kit research it seems...)

FWIW, for package bargains,  Eduard profipacks are hard to beat,  etch, masks and decent  decals,  and may are available on discount if you look,   Creative Models weekly specials have had many for  under £20,   and MJW Models usually have these deals as well. @Mikemx  is one of  the owners, they have their own page

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/316-mjw-models/

Good prices, great service.  

HTH

T

• Like 2

Very nice job on an otherwise major howler from Revell.

For those not familiar with this kit the main problems are :- canopy wrong shape , spinners way off in shape , undercarriage legs too short ,

wheels too big and no doubt a few other problems as well , a pity really as the rest of the kit was nicely done with good surface detail and separate flaps.  Robbing the old Airfix Mosquito  along with a vac canopy should sort out most of the issues mentioned. :goodjob:

• Like 1

On 25/11/2017 at 12:33 AM, Troy Smith said:

well, get up to 100 posts on here and you can use the sale pages, including posting wanted requests.   On ebay Tamiya aren't that cheap,  but ebay is "funny",  and they can be got for a good price if you look.

Cheap is relative,  I've seen Tamiya Mossies on sale for  under £20 here.   Don't dismiss the old  Airfix 1/48 kit either,very well  shaped.

Though I have come to the conclusion that you get what  you pay for,   in the case you added Eduard etch, plus paint and your time,   and   I'd  be surprised if you  got this for less than £10 and post?   At least the decals are decent.

The key is research,   read the background on kit,  ee what you get in the package and it's good and bad points.  (says he who has now made a hobby of kit research it seems...)

FWIW, for package bargains,  Eduard profipacks are hard to beat,  etch, masks and decent  decals,  and may are available on discount if you look,   Creative Models weekly specials have had many for  under £20,   and MJW Models usually have these deals as well. @Mikemx  is one of  the owners, they have their own page

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/316-mjw-models/

Good prices, great service.  

HTH

T

Yeah, I have seen some good kits and bought a few via PM through here. I always go for kits that have extras in the box, to be honest though; one of my favourite parts about building the kits are the challenges and figuring out how to fix them rather than just gluing bits together as you get to put more of your own mark on them. 

I totally agree about the research, I had read about the flaws of the kit but one thing I didn't read was the poor fit of the fuselage;I also enjoy the pre build process, for most of my stash I have a pinterest board full of diagrams etc. of the plane.

I will take a look at that page now :)