E-100 128mm Waffenträger

Andy Moore

Thank guys

9 hours ago, Hewy said:

i shall try those mig colours, do they thin with mr hobby laquer thinners andy? 

Yes, they thin very well with it and also mix well with Tamiya and Gunze Aqueous paints (probably the new AK ones too).

AMMO has become one of my favourite paint brands, as it's a good half-way house between Vallejo type paints and Tam/Gunze ones. I can mix it with Vallejo or Lifecolor and thin with water or acrylic thinner, or mix it with Tam/Gunze and thin with self levelling.

The colours seem pretty accurate for the most part too.

Andy:cat:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

That is good to know and well worth a try. Vallejo paints are available for me locally so I can be an impulsive buyer. On the other hand I ordered two AMMO paints with the recent cyber,black,Monday,Friday sale and will give them a try. These are about 20% cheaper on regular price as well. The colors look not that easy to identify though. At least I didn't see them giving a RAL number. But maybe this will come as well.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates on this. I've been finishing off various other projects over the last few weeks, but I should be able to get back on track with this now, although I'll be splitting my time between this, and the Sherman group build.

Last time I had the turret together and ready for paint. Before that though, I added a couple of extra details as the turret exterior looks quite spartan. I made some lifting hoops from copper wire, and some spare track hangers from scrap brass.

38748694354_935915a5e2_b.jpg

27679599569_3e682d0cbe_b.jpg

With that done I masked off the gun and gave the exterior a coat of red primer

25586963758_d6b64b5a28_b.jpg

25586961908_53f0f7da12_b.jpg

I've also done a bit of extra detailing on the main hull. The kit doesn't include any pioneer tools or other stowage, which leaves it looking a bit bare and lifeless. 1/72 isn't my usual scale so I don't have much in the way of spares but @Richard E very kindly sent me some assorted stowage and tools. They've certainly added some much needed detail to the hull

25586965458_2b328ab6cc_b.jpg

Once the wheels are sorted, the hull will be next into the spray booth.

• Like 4

Thanks Simon, thanks Francis

I've got most of the weathering done on the turret now. There's not a lot of it, since I didn't want it to be too intense in this scale. I've also added crosses and some generic numbers. I could have used the included decals for these, but I wanted them to look more hand applied so I drew them on with a white pencil. There are some very fine specks of dust and mud splattered over it as well, to increase the fine detail

25607901348_42c0e82389_b.jpg

38769360264_dcb72ebb97_b.jpg

I've also encountered something of an unusual problem for an armour build. It's currently a bit of a tail sitter. That might go away when all the wheels and tracks are on, but I'll probably stuff something heavy into the front of the hull to be on the safe side.

• Like 9

We've got some of these in from ModelCollect for review, and they look great.  I wish they'd scale 'em up to 1:35, as I'd love a missile tank for my shelves :wub:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mike said:

I wish they'd scale 'em up to 1:35, as I'd love a missile tank for my shelves :wub:

Yes, me too. I'm sure I recently saw a CAD image for a 1/35 E-100 with, I think, the Rheintochter launcher fitted, but for the life of me, I can't remember where I saw it or who it was from. Amusing Hobby make an E-100 and a Rheintochter separately, so I suppose they might release one. I think they're releasing the 128mm flakzwilling as well, so they might even release this thing I'm building. They do seem to like their paper panzers.

I quite fancy Trumpeter's Ganef myself, if it wasn't for the fact that their pricing seems to be beyond the ken of mankind these days

1019688-16882-17-720.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure how I feel about all this.....Andy's doing Braille, but it's Pz.46!  :unsure:

Assuming that thing is running on Kingtiger tracks I can probably sort you a set of (Revell) L&L if you want it?  You'll need to add the track pins yourself though.

Optinally there's always OKB (items from this & the following page may be useful): 

https://shop.okbgrigorov.com/search.html?action=&phrase=tiger&ProductDetails=1&ProductCode=&CategoryID=0&SearchInSubcategory=1&BrandID=0&ProductPriceFrom=&ProductPriceTo=&ProductClassID=0&ProductOptions=0&page=2

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Not sure how I feel about all this.....Andy's doing Braille, but it's Pz.46!  :unsure:

Assuming that thing is running on Kingtiger tracks I can probably sort you a set of (Revell) L&L if you want it?  You'll need to add the track pins yourself though.

Optinally there's always OKB (items from this & the following page may be useful):

Thanks Sarge, but as Mig Eater said above, the E-100 tracks are a bit bigger and the runs are longer as well. The rubber band tracks that come with the kit are a bit warped, but otherwise pretty good. I think once they're painted and weathered they should be fine.

Oh, and don't worry. I think my next braille armour will be something big and Russian :smile:

• Like 1

Please tell me you've got your paws on a test shot of the new Zvezda T-35.....That would make my day!  :pray:

Is it OK for me to pearoast one of your pictures over at the Braille DG (credit, links etc. will be provided naturally)?  :shrug: 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Please tell me you've got your paws on a test shot of the new Zvezda T-35.....That would make my day!  :pray:

Fraid not, although I'll probably pick one up when it's released. I was thinking more along the lines of a Maz. That T-35 is starting to pique my interest though, so that may well end up being the next braille build.

3 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Is it OK for me to pearoast one of your pictures over at the Braille DG (credit, links etc. will be provided naturally)?  :shrug: 

Be my guest. If it's easier, you can access them straight from the Flickr folder

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Finally got a bit more done on this, now the Sherman GB build is done.

The hull had a coat of AMMO Dunkelgelb lightened with a drop of Cremeweiss

40101619815_6b96c375a4_b.jpg

Then more Cremeweiss was added to the mix to spray some highlights

39185049770_f4cc3f17eb_b.jpg

The camo was added with Reseda Green, possibly also with a bit of Cremeweiss added. Can't really remember as this was done a few weeks ago

40101617525_b7f6b15c49_b.jpg

Then over the last couple of days, I've been adding some weathering. The paint chipping is obviously pretty OTT, but I regard this as being essentially fantasy, so I'm going for dramatic effect rather than real-world verisimilitude

40101615915_f1dc3823de_b.jpg

27123689098_32e850874e_b.jpg

40101610725_559600866f_b.jpg

The tracks and running gear are also painted, but not weathered yet, so that'll be the next job.

• Like 7

I'd second that, the chipping effects are remarkable, I don't think I'd have the guts (or the skill) to attempt something quite that dramatic.  :coolio:

PS - Still intrigued about this Russian Braille thing.....Is it from Modelcollect again by any chance?  :hmmm:  I recently bought a few of their modern Soviet/Russian kits and now I'm hooked (I need a modern armour habit like I need a hole in the head).  :doh:

PPS - My name is Sgt.Squarehead and I am a stashaholic.  :mellow:

• Like 1

On 3/28/2018 at 19:01, Sgt.Squarehead said:

PS - Still intrigued about this Russian Braille thing.....Is it from Modelcollect again by any chance?  :hmmm:

Well, I'd been intending to do one of their Maz kits in the not too distant future. Probably the tank transporter since it will be significantly cheaper and easier to display than the 1/35 version from Trumpeter

942106-17918-76-720.jpg

I'm still quite taken with the idea of the Zvzeda T-35 you mentioned earlier though. I'll no doubt do both in time. Which comes first depends on what pops up at the right price at the right time.

The Waffen-doodah has got its wheels on now. The lower hull has had some weathering with pigments and the wheels have had a few mud washes. I still need to get some primer on the tracks, then they can be fitted and weathered. The upper hull has had a little more weathering too, to tone down the finish a bit more

39331362370_55db821ff7_b.jpg

• Like 1