Tiger 1 of Das Reich

One of my favourite Kits ever produced is the early Tiger 1 Kit 35216 from Tamiya. I still love the oldish Tamiya Models, and pimped with a RB metal gun barrel and a bit of etch the old kit still makes a nice model for a good price, combined with the legendary Tamiya Quality this is neither my first 35216 nor my last... . Apart from this we Germans are mad about our Tigers, so everybody over here is building them "en masse".

My model represents the Tiger commanded by Untersturmführer Alois Kalls in the summer of 1943 in Russia.

Cheers

Tobby

dscf1790.jpg

dscf1798.jpg

dscf1800.jpg

dscf1801.jpg

dscf1803.jpg

dscf1810.jpg

dscf1813.jpg

dscf1815.jpg

dscf1825.jpg

dscf1832.jpg

dscf1793.jpg

• Like 38
  • Thanks 6

52 minutes ago, Soeren said:

This is a great presentation and very nice combination of colors and techniques. Very convincing. :)

Thanks Soeren.

Cheers

T.

1 hour ago, Bill.B said:

Absolutely stunning Tobby, your Tiger's weathering is skilfully executed. The rust on the exhausts is very realistic and the diorama is very good too. :goodjob:

Hi Bill, thank you very much...

Bye

T.

Wow! That is utterly superb - especially considering the vintage of the kit! Some of the best weathering and damage effects I have seem! Awesome modelling. Great presentation too. :clap2::clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix

Tobby,  I guess you have experience with other Tiger kits as well. I feel, that I will need an early Tiger in the not too far feature as well. I valued the Tamiya Tiger kit, what etch did you add to it, and if you have the experience, how would you rate the other early Tiger kits? As I have seen, afv club has an early Tiger at a competitive price as well.

4 hours ago, Devcon 1 said:

What a stunning model, should be a magazine feature on how to replicate a full size tank.

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Nice job.

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Wow! That is utterly superb - especially considering the vintage of the kit! Some of the best weathering and damage effects I have seem! Awesome modelling. Great presentation too. :clap2::clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix

2 hours ago, Homer said:

Great models you have done a wonderful job :clap2:

1 hour ago, FrancisGL said:

Great vignette!!!, I can see how impressive these vehicles were, the damage in the turret, gives a feeling of armor and power, very well finished in all aspects,:goodjob:

Cheers mate :yes:

Thanks a lot everybody, good to find friends of big dirty cats...

Cheers

T.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sanfrandragon said:

Wonderful Tiger.  You've got the weathering spot on.  Nice figures too.  I particularly like the close up of the rear - it looks real.  How did you do the rusty exhausts?

Thank for the nice comment.

Exhaust is just painted in a redbrown colour an then you just speckle dry pigments in brown, red and rusty tones into the wet paint. That brings the structure out. Easy job...

Bye

T.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Soeren said:

Tobby,  I guess you have experience with other Tiger kits as well. I feel, that I will need an early Tiger in the not too far feature as well. I valued the Tamiya Tiger kit, what etch did you add to it, and if you have the experience, how would you rate the other early Tiger kits? As I have seen, afv club has an early Tiger at a competitive price as well.

Hi Soeren. I started 1/35 modelling in the very early eighties, and the stuff to buy was Tamiya. Since then I'm hooked to this brand so I don't know if I am impartial enough. Nevertheless I've builded 2 Afv clubs,  one Italeri, two Academy and three Dragon Tigers in between four by Tamiya-San. The Dragons are fine detailed with lots of bits an bobs but after a good paint job the don't stand out because the up to 1000 parts just dissapear. The AFVs never make me happy cos I don't like their plastic ( hard to describe but it feels crunchy to me). I would always choose Tamiya. Big fun, enough but not to many parts and brilliant fit. On this one I used the engine grills from Aber; some spare bits from an old etch set from "on the mark models", metal tow cables homemade from thin wire and of course the gun barrel and the machine gun barrels from RB model.

That's it..

Enjoy your Tiger project and no, I do not work for Tamiya:wink:

Cheers

T.

• Like 1

Another excellent presentation. Base, tank & figures all go together well. The tank crew look like the guys I have in my Normandy Tiger, Alpine Miniatures?

I agree with your comments on Tamiya kits, you can't beat the build quality & they're not over engineered like some other manufacturers. I've got their Archer on my wish list.

Pete

3 hours ago, bigfoot said:

Brilliant job, love the painting and weathering and the base is fantastically executed but simple and sets the whole scene off nicely.

Thanks a lot bigfoot...

I think models always look better on a little base to present them in their natural habitat...

Bye

T.

3 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Another excellent presentation. Base, tank & figures all go together well. The tank crew look like the guys I have in my Normandy Tiger, Alpine Miniatures?

I agree with your comments on Tamiya kits, you can't beat the build quality & they're not over engineered like some other manufacturers. I've got their Archer on my wish list.

Pete

Hi Pete, thank you and if course you are right. The tankers are from Alpine. Nice figures.

The Archer is for sure a must-have-item and it's on my list as well... Luv the...errr...rustical look.

Cheers mate.

T.

• Like 1