When were White-Night undersurfaces introduced?

DominikS

Hi again. 

This question has been probably asked several time before and I wouldn't normally ask it but I have a problem. 

I'm trying to figure it out when was White-Night recognision pattern introduced. Some time ago I found information that it was somewhere around March/April 1938. But last weekend I read that it was January 1939. So what's the correct date. 

If this issue has been discussed before, could you please put some links in this thread?

Thank you very much

Dominik 

See Pages 5, 6 and 8 in this pdf of the old Ducimus Camouflage & Markings book on the Hurricane. This suggests that it was first applied to certain Hurricanes on the production line early in 1938; the factories then reverted to Aluminium undersurfaces. The White/Night scheme was then ordered to be applied to in-service aircraft at the time of the Munich crisis (August/September 1938). This instruction was interpreted in different ways, and two Air Ministry Orders were issued early in 1939 to clarify it.

Graham is right with the first 50 to be delivered in this scheme (L1576 - L1625) which were requested from Hawker in a letter dated 8th January 1938, they subsequently started to arrive for service during April 1938. After this a request by Fighter Command was made for all Spits and Hurris to be finished in this manner. Nothing very much happened, Dowding had complained that the painting on the 50 was incorrect leaving a silver band down the middle. The next impetus came with the Munich Crisis in Sept 1938 when FC wrote to the AM for white and black under surfaces up to the middle on the fuselage. However there were concerns about aileron balance if the painting was done at unit level and the RAE suggested that ailerons be left unpainted by sqns. FC were certain that ailerons must be painted and wrote to the AM on 25th November 1938 suggesting that the black and white scheme be finished on the production line thereby sidestepping the balance issue.

At a conference at the AM in December 1938, they agreed upon the acceptance of the black and white scheme on peacetime day fighters and advised FC on the 12th January 1939 that the aircraft contractors would be advised to finish relevant aircraft in the scheme. Letters to Hawkers and Supermarine were sent on the 27th January. It took some time for production aircraft to arrive in the scheme, so around spring 1939.

Phew!

HTH,

Tim

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...