Can I build a Hawk 100 demonstrator from an Airfix 1/72 Hawk 128/132?

stevehnz

After looking at Danntheman's thread on his Italeri Hawk 100 demonstrator & developing a severe case of "Needitus" I went looking, & looking. I found a couple with local suppliers both of whom turned out to be out of stock contrary to what they showed. :( Anything on ebay is either a silly price or silly postage or flaming silly both. :(:(  But I can, maybe, if the website tells it true. :unsure:  get an Airfix Bae Systems Hawk, a slightly later version of the 100 ??? Is it feasible to do the Hawk 100 demonstrator from this kit (Afx 03073). Wondering though what I need to do to it & if it is doable to create the Hawk 100 demonstrator?

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
revise title

Thats what I'm thinking & hoping Ray, also hoping that one of the Hawk experts that I know exist on here can chip in with any details that might need changing. I was quite taken by the Italeri example I linked to above but more furkling around the googlesphere indicate that the italeri markings are wrong in several areas, but a couple of photos I found look as though it would be possible to do one of the schemes they wore from generic markings. An upshot is that I have found an Italeri T.Mk 1/56 with early Finnish markings, quickly grabbed. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Hi Steve: I was wondering if you ever finished the project.

I'd like to know if I can build an RAF Hawk T2 (the black ones based at Valley) from the 1/72 Airfix BAE Systems kit.

Chris

Hi Chris, no not even started yet, I've turned into a serial non starter thus year but if my sanity & health hold out for another 3 years I'll be retired & then watch out. As to your query, I'd say the Airfix Bae Systems Hawk or maybe similar Italeri one is the best starting place but I'm hazy as to any detail changes you'd need for a T.2. Not a lot I'd guess, their operational capabilities sound a lot like their training role.

Steve.

7 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Hi Chris, no not even started yet, I've turned into a serial non starter thus year but if my sanity & health hold out for another 3 years I'll be retired & then watch out. As to your query, I'd say the Airfix Bae Systems Hawk or maybe similar Italeri one is the best starting place but I'm hazy as to any detail changes you'd need for a T.2. Not a lot I'd guess, their operational capabilities sound a lot like their training role.

Steve.

Steve and Chris,

I would suggest the Airfix BAE Systems kit is a better place to start for the T2. The Italeri kit is rather old now and has outdated instrument panels. Considering the Airfix kit represents a Mk128 ( which is the BAE designation for the T.2) then I would say you are on a winner here. Instruction sheet link here shows the Black T.2 scheme of one of the demonstrators.

• Thanks 1

On 10/14/2018 at 2:54 AM, stevehnz said:

Steve.

Try this:

Airfix Hawk T2

Selwyn

• Like 1

Thanks Selwyn, a useful review. @chrish you should get some good info from this too. 

I've managed to get the Airfix & Italeri kits but both still languish in their boxes. The original intent was to build the camo'd Hawk 100 demonstrator, which I'll probably still use the Italeri one for with modified markings, I'd quite like to do an Omani one from the Airfix kit. Come the day. :(

Steve.