Tamiya A6M2-N Rufe in 1/48

Gav G

My "real entry" for the floatplane GB, the Tamiya A6M2-N Rufe.

I couldn't find any of the Japanese WWII float planes I really wanted to build for this GB without them being in the 'wrong scale' or just being ridiculous prices.  Then I found this for just under £14 including shipping from Japan :idea:  I couldn't resist buying it...

MGCnC0s.png

The bags are still sealed as I'm trying to get some other stuff finished first before allowing myself to open them.  Plus I need to pick up 3 or 4 paints I need but don't have.

• Like 2

On 11/21/2017 at 5:55 AM, Kahunaminor said:

Good to have you aboard,

It will be good to compare this Tamiya kit with my Hasegawa edition. I am looking forward to seeing what you do with it. 

Regards,

Thanks guys. I don't think my effort will be up to your standards though Kahunaminor, especially the scratch building element.  All my scratch building patience is currently being spent on a 1/35 M41 Walker Bulldog light tank and I think I'd go insane if I were to try some in 1/48 too.

I've decided to go with the standard green over IJN grey scheme, just need to find a suitable Tamiya paint recipe for the identification yellow stripe.  This is often supplied as a decal I believe... but not in this kit :rolleyes:  It seems the correct colour is FS 33538, so I'll just have to eyeball it or buy the Humbrol acrylic.

Also, I can't find anywhere that has the Eduard photo etch set in stock and of course it's OOP :wtf:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gav G said:

Thanks guys. I don't think my effort will be up to your standards though Kahunaminor, especially the scratch building element.  All my scratch building patience is currently being spent on a 1/35 M41 Walker Bulldog light tank and I think I'd go insane if I were to try some in 1/48 too.

I've decided to go with the standard green over IJN grey scheme, just need to find a suitable Tamiya paint recipe for the identification yellow stripe.  This is often supplied as a decal I believe... but not in this kit :rolleyes:  It seems the correct colour is FS 33538, so I'll just have to eyeball it or buy the Humbrol acrylic.

Also, I can't find anywhere that has the Eduard photo etch set in stock and of course it's OOP :wtf:

Don’t sell yourself short. Maybe obtain a zoom set for the Hasegawa A6M2b kit? It should be compatible. Also whilst it’s a case of never say never but all the schemes I have seen for the Rufe lack the ID stripes on the leading edge. In fact there are so few photos of the Rufe it is almost a free for all really.

Regards,

• Like 2