Airfix nostalgia thread, post all your classic airfix builds here.

old thumper

Ratch's Windmill picture was the first time I've seen a built one, thanks for posting it.

I'll post this Bus here. There will probably be two or three right behind it.

I built the base to match the box top as I like displaying built models alongside the box, something like a shop window display.

airfix_2145.jpg

• Like 11

......... and to get back on track with some more aircraft, how about this display I took along to a Farnborough IPMS meeting a few years back?

That was all my Dogfight Doubles at the time. I've since added the Mig 21/Cessna and FW190/Stormovic to the collection.

047-1.jpg

Tony.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 10

8 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

Another Airfix oldie I built a few years ago (2013) - 

I love this kit - the graceful Seahawk. (yours has a few enhancements? - the first jet I built - no prop to spin but I made sure the arrestor hook worked!

Edited by Ventora3300

20 hours ago, TonyW said:

Here's one of my favourite builds, the ancient Airfix Do217.

Fantastic - my first build and a recent retro build. It was the retracting undercarriage and moveable turret that did it...

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 1

Here are a couple of my attempts with classic Airfix kits. First up is my build of their Beagle Basset using the Kit-Starter release, I made this as an entry for the Made in Britain II GB held earlier this year.

36817453216_9cae797753_c.jpg

by John Leigh, on Flickr

And I used the Airfix 1/72 Heron 2 kit as a starting point for this SABENA de Havilland Heron I, built for the Airliner III GB last year. 

DSC01507_zps3rrifg53.jpg

I had a lot of fun building both of them.

• Like 15

Although I acknowledge probably not Airfix's best kit, this is my favorite Airfix kit of all time the P-38F Lightning.

I have built a number of these kits over the years and currently have three built examples in my collection plus one of two in the stash and will no doubt buy more.

This kit is Airfix's second P-38 kit first released about 1972-4, their first P-38 kit being a J model dating from the late 1950's.

26801819029_5d1e7161a2_b.jpg 

First off the Pacific based sharks teeth box top version everyone knows and loves. 

37856676594_0320502672_k.jpg

Secondly "Pudgy", the alternative scheme from the kits most recent release. The original B- side scheme for this kit was for a North Africa based aircraft.

26796998679_84ac45b63c_k.jpg

And lastly a build which took sometime to complete, a re-scribed desert camouflaged P-38G. Just as a side note, from a small number of pictures and film clips there is evidence that a limited number of aircraft were given a desert camouflage scheme. 

26796990889_50b1370571_b.jpg

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 6

It's funny how you perceive nostalgia.

The P38 above is like a new kit to me! By the time T4 kits were appearing, I was passing out of model building for a while, so those type boxes are not ones I remember buying first time around. I returned to modelling again in my mid twenties but as a car modeller, interests having changed in the meanwhile.

Now I'm greedy and want the lot! ' Want' and ' Can Have' are two different things though.

• Like 2

Gents, please refrain from needlessly repeating a whole post and its pictures when quoting.  Its poor form for those scrolling through the thread to continually have to scroll through repeat after repeat.  Use the edit function and minimise the repeats thanks.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TonyW said:

It's funny how you perceive nostalgia.

The P38 above is like a new kit to me! By the time T4 kits were appearing, I was passing out of model building for a while, so those type boxes are not ones I remember buying first time around. I returned to modelling again in my mid twenties but as a car modeller, interests having changed in the meanwhile.

Now I'm greedy and want the lot! ' Want' and ' Can Have' are two different things though.

Well I was born in 1968 so I was at the age of 10 in 1978, all or most of these kits were already here by then so I have pretty much spent my life with them.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Greg B said:

Gents, please refrain from needlessly repeating a whole post and its pictures when quoting.  Its poor form for those scrolling through the thread to continually have to scroll through repeat after repeat.  Use the edit function and minimise the repeats thanks.

Thanks, I see you are an administrator, could you just let us know if this thread belongs in Aircraft RFI and if not whether it could be moved?

To begin with this topic was meant to be just aircraft but naturally as with all things Airfix we have digressed. 

• Like 1

I always liked the Airfix 54mm figures. Nicely sculpted and with interchangeable parts.

This was the French Polish Lancer (02553) converted to a British Private, 9th Light Dragoons (Lancers), 1817

410242391.jpg

• Like 10

19 hours ago, old thumper said:

Thanks, I see you are an administrator, could you just let us know if this thread belongs in Aircraft RFI and if not whether it could be moved?

To begin with this topic was meant to be just aircraft but naturally as with all things Airfix we have digressed. 

I will have thought the birds were the original ‘air craft’ - although I suppose that would behave been winged dinosaurs?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, old thumper said:

Or perhaps it was the Aliens that brought them here?

Only joking.

Don’t be silly, they’re space craft....

• Like 1

Here is another one the BN Islander / defender... again OOB with a mild rescribe...

37722441995_26078081f4.jpg

24738194818_cdbd769973.jpg

38610451241_a014f8e789.jpg

As as I find more images I’ll post em up..

found one the 1/72 Dinah...

all painted markings on this one

26835770229_45b673c4a8.jpg

Edited by Plasto
  • Like 8

A very early build of the  Airfix Walrus.

IMG_2623_-_Copy.jpg

And a pair of restored BTK Spitfires.

IMG_0161_zpsb78f1ca9.jpg

And to finish, a collection of early kits. About half are my builds, the rest are restored models bought over the years.

IMG_2790.jpg

• Like 5