Revell 1/72 scale P-51D Mustang H-47 from 1975

Thanks for the great comments gents. 👍😉

Graeme there is a word for this sort of modelling, INSANE :mental:

Steve you're completely correct, the Airfix 1958 P-51D is better than this "Sorta Stang".

There is a baggie kit kicking 'round the stash and when I find it I'll do it OOB (well as much as possible for me that is) and do a pic shoot with 'em side by side.

• Like 1

Just to echo everyone else's comments. Beautiful build of a true horror story of a model kit. My local toy shop stocked those Revell photo boxes when I was around 10 or 11 years old. The Mustang was probably the only kit I ever put back on the shelf because of how it looked, so in some way, the Revell photo box saved me some pocket money that Saturday in 1979. Even I could see what a monster it was, and accuracy of shape wasn't high up on my agenda back then. If it had come in a pretty artwork box that concealed the horrors inside, I probably would have binned it as soon as I opened it! 

I would love to know how Revell got practically every dimension wrong on an a model of one of the most famous fighter aircraft in history. Shocking! In fact, it's probably one of the only model kits that I can think of that makes a Starfix kit look good.

However, I do have a soft spot for building old kits and appreciate anyone who can make something this bad look so good. I've got a stash of old Revell kits, so I might see if I have a Frankenstang myself to tackle. Could be a blast!

Thanks for posting your build! It's a gem.

Steve

Edited by fightersweep

Thanks for the great compliment Fightersweep, much appreciated 👍 I was building this as a sorta frustration breaker during my Fw 190V-18's build saga :popcorn:

I built my first H-619 CY-G in 1970, the second replacement in 1976, I think I built one for a school chum about the same time and now these two, never again I hope:mental:

If you've got the old Revell 1/72 H-612 Me109E or the H-615 Focke Wulf 190A then you've got your work cut out for you 😉

Regards and cheers🍻

Neil 😎

Thanks for that AD-4N (Skyraider?), greatly appreciated 👍

I don't think 'plans' came into it, maybe some very poor drawings from a certain series of books maybe. These references were also used for horrors like the first 1/72 scale Airfix Fw 190D :yikes:

I concur with the other commenters - a lovely, skilled build of a kit which bears only superficial resemblance to a P-51!

It would be a fun exercise to park it next to a recent tooling of the same type, thus demonstrating the differences.

But if you enjoyed the build, that's the main thing.

👍

Thanks for the kind comment Kapam 👍

There are actually a few new tool Airfix P-51's under way. just waiting for a 1958 Airfix P-51 and a 1972 Airfix P-51 to turn up then I'll line 'em up with their UGLY Revell namesakes 😉

• 8 months later...

Thanks for sending me the link to this Neil. Great builds of these vintage kits.

Bizarrely there is a certain attraction with these old kits. I loved the look of Revell's Red 'The Milly P' in the LMS when I was a kid.

I still have on the shelf an old (2nd generation I think) much modified 1/72 Airfix P-51D, yellow nosed 375th FS, 361st FG - lovingly hand painted in medium blue, which is what we were told it was at the time!