Another Canadian Newbie

Crimea River

Hi all! Thanks for letting me join your forum. I promise to behave.

My name is Andy and I'm a retired Engineering Manager living in Calgary, Alberta. I returned to modelling, the hobby of my childhood, some 12 years ago and like to focus on WW2 aircraft subjects though I've dabbled in some postwar stuff and also have a model of the USS Princeton on the back burner doing a very slow simmer. I've come to this site many times for reference info for my builds and have found the knowledge and expertise here to be top notch. I thought it was time to join up rather than lurk and hopefully I can contribute something here and there.

In addition to scale models, I'm actively involved with a team that is restoring a de Havilland Mosquito B35 (http://www.calgarymosquitosociety.com/home.htm). I wanted to insert a pic of me injecting epoxy into a  delaminated section of the fuselage under the nose window but I need to figure out how to do that. I've also researched information needed for our second aircraft, a CCF-built Hurricane Mk. XII with the help of a number of experts, one of whom graces your forum pages here.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to more involvement here and perhaps might come across some friends from elsewhere.

• Like 3

Thanks for the welcome and tip Dennis. Good to see you again Chris.

EDIT: Just read the photo posting stuff in FAQs. I don't using a 3rd party photo hosting site and was hoping to upload from my HD where I have everything nicely organized. I see we don't do that here.

Edited by Crimea River

Cheers,

maybe I saw you at Ranchman's any of the past years? 😂 When visiting my host family in Canmore, I always go to Ranchman's for a few beers. I do miss Calgary!

Welcome. I have stayed in Calgary and Canmore on a couple of my 5 visits to Canada. Just a short drive to the Rockies...how wonderful. How is the museum getting on these days? I only managed one visit n my very first trip to Canada.  

13 hours ago, Niknak said:

Hi andy, welcome to britmodeller,  are the mosquito and hurricane planed to be made airworthy.

Hi Niknak. Both aircraft will be restorations to mechanical functionality but not flying. The Mossie in particular was grounded in the early 60's with spar separation issues and we are uncovering lots of glue failures throughout that, whilst we are doing our best to remedy, are too extensive to enable the aircraft to fly safely. The Hurricane, on the other hand is in much better shape and probably could, with a bit more money than we have, be made flyable. However, that's not in our mandate.

13 hours ago, Blaubar said:

Cheers,

maybe I saw you at Ranchman's any of the past years? 😂 When visiting my host family in Canmore, I always go to Ranchman's for a few beers. I do miss Calgary!

If you saw me at Ranchman's it would be because someone dragged me there in an unconscious state! Though I'm known to like my beer, Ranchman's is not my scene.

12 hours ago, Paul J said:

Welcome. I have stayed in Calgary and Canmore on a couple of my 5 visits to Canada. Just a short drive to the Rockies...how wonderful. How is the museum getting on these days? I only managed one visit n my very first trip to Canada.  

If you mean the aerospace museum near the airport, all I can say is that it is still there....As with most museums, they do what they can with the funds they have. Our restoration work is actually happening in Nanton at the Bomber Command Museum of Canada, an hour south of Calgary, which is much better equipped for our restoration work.

• Thanks 2

:welcome: aboard Andy - is this the pic?

RDB_3593.jpg

I'm jealous of you getting that close to a mossie, and more power to your elbow, helping get another one back to her former glory.  You really can't have too many of 'em! :heart: 

• Like 1

Haha, always funny to look at all the cowboys n gals in there, despite country not being even closely related to my taste of music. The little specialty  brewer scene in Calgary is quite good, so many good places to go.

Canmore is a superb choice Paul^^.

On 21/11/2017 at 17:06, Crimea River said:

Mike, that is indeed the pic. Did you get it off the link I posted? Thanks for doing that!

Yes I did ^_^ I was having a mooch round out of curiosity and love of Mossies, with a watching eye looking out for a guy with a syringe :)

4 hours ago, Mike said:

Yes I did ^_^ I was having a mooch round out of curiosity and love of Mossies, with a watching eye looking out for a guy with a syringe :)

Thanks for doing that. I'm glad it was a picture of me injecting glue into a Mossie rather than something else into my arm! Never did that so it would be a big surprise to see a pic!

Ah, Nanton. I haven't been down that way in far too long. The museum was still called The Nanton Lancaster Museum then. Time for a return trip.

Some pics from my last visit.

NLM

NLM 001

NLM 008NLM 010

NLM 011

Chris

Make sure to let me know when you come down Chris. I'll give you a tour of our Mossie. Best to schedule a trip in the summer when they do engine runs on the Lanc. I don't think the 2018 schedule is out yet. 

16 hours ago, Crimea River said:

Make sure to let me know when you come down Chris. I'll give you a tour of our Mossie. Best to schedule a trip in the summer when they do engine runs on the Lanc. I don't think the 2018 schedule is out yet. 

Thanks! It would definitely be a summer visit. I wouldn't try that run this time of year. It's been snowing here since last night and it's still falling. The wind has also picked up. Ain't winter fun!

Chris

Hello Crimea River,

Please give my regards to Calgary where despite some fuzzy memories I apparently got some education.   Currently west of Edmonton but jealous of the proximity to Nanton and the fun and games of Calgary...until it comes to driving downtown at least.

Welcome aboard and looking forward to your next project both in plastic and 1:1 scale.

foresterab

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1