Laser scanning of some Bovington exhibits

Kingsman

There was a sign up at Bovington today saying that laser scanning of some exhibits was happening.  Nothing actually happening today, but 3 vehicles were covered in laser measuring reference dots.

M26

T26

Type 95 Ha-Go

I couldn't discover exactly why or by whom.  For modelling or for gaming rendering?  None of those are really obvious candidates for new kits.  Allegedly being done by a Chinese outfit whose name apparently translates as Metal Slug (which could be a lost-in-translation version of a shell, bullet or projectile of some sort).  Note my words - allegedly and apparently: not definitive.

• Like 2

Hi @Das Abteilung I found the answers your looking for quite by accident. The company is called     Warslug ltd 

and they are a new manufacturer of 1/6 (6th) scale RC full metal tanks. 

They currently have a tiger 2 in pre production. And they look AMAZING the build quality from what I've seen is soooo much better than armourtech, no finishing off required, no machineist skills, no bolts/welds visible that were not on the original vehicles. 

They are easily found via Facebook, have not tried interweb myself 

Aha.  I hadn't even considered R/C. 

One assumes that their M26 hull and turret will be castings: you can't fabricate those.  There was certainly a much higher density of laser reference dots on the M26, presumably for the more complex shape, and I understand they had been crawling about underneath it with the measuring devices too.

• Like 1

Their stuff online looks really well

put together but doesn't look like prices are avaliable yet. I think they are trying to do vehicles that no one else has on the market yet. Certainly I've grown bored of the RC stuff in 1/16 as everyone has ge same and has done the same models.... 

the kingtiger with 1946-47 modifications has been done over and over... looks cool but still 

• 2 years later...

Well they scanned the RR armoured car and have come up with this

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/warslug-1901-british-armored-car--1262098

Looks good on the photos I've found on line, few small problems with the kit as the one at Bovington has had various alterations so I belive, the model won't be 100% accurate but which one is 😀

On 25/11/2017 at 19:14, Das Abteilung said:

(nor my bank manager!)

Very nice but as you say ..when i looked last you could buy a small family car for the price of there basic kit...scary expensive  (not that i'm saying there not worth it but you have to be a very committed fan to pay that for a kit) 

8 hours ago, colin said:

the one at Bovington has had various alterations so I belive

Principally that it has been re-fitted with the 1924 pattern front wings with vertical rather than curved lower back faces.  These allowed the unditching boards to be carried on top of the running boards rather than underneath.  But on the Bovington vehicle they are still carried underneath..........  I think the spare wheels must have been mounted higher on the 1924 pattern to give the necessary clearance.

• Like 1