Missouri Armada P-51D Mustang: documents and partial scratch from the Tamiya 1/48 kit

Thanks for holding me company and for these new great pics, Antonio! The second one is particularly interesting, with the name of functions... Sorry that you have problems for uploading, I have had the same problems recently but now, it's OK.

• Like 1

After having removed the wrong post on right side of A17, I have cut my floor in 0,25 mm thickness Evergreen sheet, taking care to move the holes a bit more outside (see the doc 41 and my edited comment). The front panel, that I had removed to work easily, has been replaced. One more time, this is a dry fit assembly, I am now going to represent the wooden floor, inspired by JMV in the DVD. 

ruJQGd.jpg

P.S: Antonio (or someone else, of course...), if you had one or 2 specific pic (colored, if possible) of the floor, it could be very useful. Of course, we ever have some docs (often contadictory and showing restored P-51D) showing a part of this floor, but...

• Like 1

I leave for a moment my cockpit to come-back on the tyres question, ever mentioned above. This enlargement shows that I was probably wrong thinking the Missouri Armada was equipped with diamond tread. Indeed, the shape of the tread rather suggests imho the block tread:

67obDf.png

Ultracast (ref. 48133) has this block tread shape:

XnbdT7.jpg

I will probably order them soon... What do you think?

A great pic that this one, due to Antonio. It allows to see many details: the wooden floor, but also this little squarre dial on it, the cream color seat belts, the right panel, the joystick etc.

eeliPt.jpg

I like this one too, even if this is a numeric drawing. Confirmation that the dials are left and right fuel tanks. I don't understand what means "Prop De-ice" but here too, the little squarre labels and dial just under and front of the seat are represented.

hBaPrD.png

• Like 1

Wood decal step: the decals are first cut using the parts seen above as template. I recommend to drill the hole (1,2 mm diameter, by the rear side) before putting the decal in the water. Once dry (not yet), the holes will be improved by a complementary drilling.

yXnqtf.jpg

The black anti-slip has been applied (black grey 862 Vallejo) with a used paintbrush, opening the hairs to get this effect. The wood has been left visible where the feet has used the anti-slip:

D7DqUq.jpg

My floor and my seat are now glued in place (white glue for the floor, double sided tape for the seat).

• Like 3

Thanks for your kind comment and your wishes, John.

A happy new year for you too and for all the Britmodeller community!

A special mention for Hannes, who not only brought me a very useful help for my previous build, the Fiat 806, avoiding me big mistakes, but is still following me on this new thread...

And of course a big hug for Juan Manuel and Antonio, the first for all what I learnt from him, the second for the great pics he brought me about the P-51D...

Olivier

• Like 1

Hi Olivier,

nice  update, that cockpit  looks great!!!

well, here are some diagrams of the I.P. and the right side panels and consoles

The "prop de ice" means   d'antigel hélice in french (google translator)  but Im not sure if that image above  is a representation of a modern mustang, that little panel on right on the floor correspond to the air temperature ventilation controller in ww2 mustangs "hot or cold" while the left one belongs to the defroster control.

looks to me that the black paint on the floor goes till the fuel dials and then interior green, no need to use non skid paint where you can't step

also I'm wondering whats that silver cone on the fuselage tank, I cant identify it.

cheers

OLIV1.jpg

OLIV2.jpgOLIV2.jpg

NA5915_Fig48sm.jpg

OLIV3.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks Antonio for these new pics and for the translation! I had not noticed previously, in the third one (ventilation and defrosting system) the labels for warm air and defroster control.

About the limit of the black paint, maybe you are right (the last doc seems to say so) but some others (doc. 41, fe) show a limit going more backward than the fuel tanks dials... It is difficult to be sure for many matters, I try to do the right choices (in this case, I had followed JMV). If you don't mind, I will reproduce here (to number it) some of your best docs, to number them...

All the best

Olivier

P.S: I wonder if these Barracudas Studios oval tread (BR 48050) wheels are not still better than the Ultracast ones, with a more rectangular shape. What do you think? When I look at the enlargement above (doc. 23a), that is what I see, oval tread...

Zo1923.jpg

Tread comparison: the oval shape seems good but a bit too large, imho:

JZCu0p.png

Hello to all,

first and again, a happy new year to all!

Antonio has brought us amazing documents, especially the one below. As I said above, I had not imagined that the warm air and defroster control on the doc were visible parts (I thought they were under the floor, like the hoses). I made an enlargement on them (48a). 

e1eItK.jpg

QQN5h6.png

Other amazing doc, this one, showing a great top view of the floor and the joystick on a probably non restored aircraft (I have increased the contrast with Lightroom to enhance details). This doc shows that imho I have to redo my wooden floors, or more precisely to redo the right one (I will just cut the left to that limit). The right one must be redone not only to move the limit to the fuel tanks gauge dials, but also because my hole was still too inside, too close from the middle...

On the other hand, I wonder if the part more backward must be IG...

Q0P8xZ.jpg

Enlargement of the fuel tank dial through the hole (this one must be much wider than the dial):

bAQFH7.jpg

Mld0CL.png

H59mi5.png

14 hours ago, antonio argudo said:

I'm wondering whats that silver cone on the fuselage tank, I cant identify it.

Dear Antonio,

are you talking about the cone on the doc 50 above? if so, it is the pilot's relief tube. But I don't know what it means...

Hi Olivier,

picture 50 and 57 are from a p-51B model, there are some differences between the D model, specialy on the side consoles, here some pictures of wood floors with non skid paint and the area under the seat. the last picture is from a B model!

oll4.jpg

oll.jpg

oll2.jpg

oll5.jpg

oll3.jpg

oll7.jpg

oll6.jpg

oll8.jpg

• Thanks 1

Hi Antonio,

again some amazing docs!! thanks to you, this thread is becoming a real reference for anyone wants to represent an accurate model of the P-51D cockpit. More, you have a thorough knowledge (unlike me even if I have learnt a lot...).

Your new docs tend to confirm that the black anti-slip limit was at the fuel tank dials limit, was is a good new for me, because redoing this step was delicate (and not over).

I still wonder where you find all these docs, I could link on the P-51D SIG but I was a bit disappointed (maybe it is me who don't know how to use it...), I didn't find many pics...

A few questions:

1) Where you mentioning the cone I said above, or is it something else? Do you know what was the function of this cone we can see on the doc 50? Even if it is a P 51 B, I think there was the same cone on the D because we can see its attachment on the pics 49 and 49a.

2) What do you think about the tread on the Missouri enlargement pic? oval? diamond?

About the part you mention with a red arrow:

- you are right, it won't be visible

- here is the pic that inspired me to represent it:

XRtvFe.jpg

All the best

Olivier

P.S: To avoid any confusion for the reader, I have edited my docs 50 and 57, adding a label to mention we have here a P-51B.

Looking great, I like what you've achieved with the cockpit floor. You're taking it a few steps further than me here by rectifying the fuel gauge positions.

One question, how did you represent the little curved placards in front of the two small trim dials on the floor console?

• Like 1

Hi Olivier

Great thread and great work on your P-51D.

The 'pilot's relief valve' you ask about is, I suspect, something for him to urinate into...? I can't think of anything else it could be, and given the very long range missions the P-51 could undertake I expect it was a welcome addition...

I've just started the new 1/32 Revell P-51D-5 and the info in this thread is proving to be of great use (though I'm not going overboard on detail).

Matt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Olivier,

I'm not a P51 expert, I wish I was lol, I think the refence picture you used looks to me like a post war modification, non in the pictures I've seen shows that item, anyway as I said it wont be visible so dont bother about it.

about the tires patern, looks a bit different than the Barracuda ones, I havent pay much attention to that detail of the mustang anatomy ;)

thanks Matt for that info, that's new for me and makes a lot of sense!

cheers

oo.jpg

oo5.jpg

oo2.jpg

oo3.jpg

oo4.jpg

Edited by antonio argudo
  • Like 1

OK, I did a bit of Googling and indeed it is a device for taking a p**s during a flight.

It is commonly called a 'pilot relief tube' and featured in both fighters and bombers. Seem to be lots of stories about starting to take a pee and being bounced by 109s.. :). Vented somewhere on the belly.

Matt

EDIT - bit of text:

To use the relief tube in the P—51 it was necessary to undo the lap belt, unsnap the leg straps of the seat type parachute, then scoot well forward on the seat to use the relief tube, which was a plastic cone attached to a rubber tube which vents overboard out the belly of the plane. It was stowed on a clip under the seat.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Squibby said:

One question, how did you represent the little curved placards in front of the two small trim dials on the floor console?

Sorry, Squibby, I don’t understand what you mean. Can you precise with an arrow fe?

15 hours ago, antonio argudo said:

what I mean before was this, not sure what represents although it wont be too visible once he fuselage and canopy is on ;)

cheers

oioi.jpg

In the photo Antonio is quoting, can you see the little dials  on top of the console (rudder and aileron trim), how did you make the little placards in front of them. The tamiya part doesn't have a little shelf like you have there.

Hope this is clearer, if not don't worry too much about it, I love how much detail you've added there.

• Like 1

Ok Squibby now I see. First of all, the rudder and aileron trim dials were not thick enough on the Eduard PE parts, I have increased them in height. For the little shelves you mention, I don’t remember very well, but I suppose I first made a round plastic part from Evergreen sheet with a punch and die and then cut to get approximately the good shape. I did the same for the rounded dial on top of the round black part (elevator trim) just under.

Hope it will help.

Cheers