Missouri Armada P-51D Mustang: documents and partial scratch from the Tamiya 1/48 kit

uxCwcH.jpg

To cement the clear parts, I have 2 options:

- the cyano, but even with the Colle 21 anaerobic one, I am afraid of a whitish halo, even the slightest one. More, the cyano doesn't glue well on painted areas.

- the one I should use: a mix of white glue (Tamiya or Micro Metal AF) and Hobby Color acrylic paint. Juan Manuel made a great tuto about this technique, I just would choose personally the Gunze one instead of the Tamiya, because I noticed that the Hobby Color jar, once ever used, are often very hard to open (not the Tamiya ones), what seems to show that they become the best glue when getting dry...

• Like 3

m7gU8n.jpg

N.B:

1) The decal name of the pilot has been placed using the same technique than for the svastikas awards, cutting the decal in 3 parts, Pilot/ Capt/ John B. England and removing the clear parts as close as possible.

2) The windshield is glued in place, but there is a small gap, that I had not noticed before doing the photo. It is not a problem, I will add a tiny drop of liquid cyano (capillarity) or of Micro Kristal Klear if necessary

3) I had no other choice, because of the problem of narrow canopy, than to cut the last 2 mm of canopy rail... A compromise.

4) My build will be over tomorrow!

• Like 7

Hello to all,

here it is, my build is over. I post here only one photo. You will find more in the "ready for inspection" section. I want to thank here all the contributors who helped me, occasionally or more often, to get a convincing replica of this beautiful aircraft, and the followers who encouraged me to go on (sometimes the same).

This build has been a great time of model making and sharing for me, and I hope for many of you too.

All the best to all and long life to Britmodeller!

Olivier

ia1RN8.jpg

• Like 12

Excellent build that was a great joy to follow! Looking forward to RFI pics! :)

Håkan

• Thanks 1

Thanks a lot, dear chaps, and a special thanks to you, Håkan, for your positive energy that was very appreciated in the last weeks of my build :)

Even if my RFI thread is not over (it takes time and I didn't have so much today), you can visit it from now in the aircraft RFI section:

Cheers

Olivier

• Like 2

Thanks a lot Harvey! 

No, the Mef won't be my next build, it will be for a bit later. I spent so much time on the Fiat 806 (Partial and then OOB) that for my next car project, I want something more different than another old red Fiat (especially considering that esthetically, I strongly prefer the 806 to the Mef (furthermore less important from a historical point of view).

I have decided to build, partially from scratch, a car that represents for me the American dream, and that a friend of my father used to have when I was young: a Mustang!! (the 1965 Ford car, not the P-51 :D). As there is no kit of the Convertible that I strongly prefer to the Coupé, I will have to move the Revell 1/24 2 + 2 Fastback, a recent kit, onto the Convertible version. A new challenge, very exciting...

I would have preferred a bigger scale, but the only one (again a Coupé...) is the poor and old AMT 1/16...

I know indirectly people who are happy owners of that awesome vintage car (in red, the color I prefer for the Mustang) and I think I will be able to make plenty of photos.

A very different project compared with the Fiat 806 and the P-51 Mustang.

Cheers, O

• Like 1

"100 fois sur le métier remettez votre ouvrage"... I thought my build was over but Antonio noticed with right (he delicately told me that by PM) that the canopy position was wrong. Indeed, it should fall on the fuselage instead of going straight like it does on my build, what is confirmed by the many docs we have canopy opened, like this one, fe:

pddJLm.png

I have used the Cyberbond cyano Remover and will wait at least 1 hour before trying gently to remove the canopy and improve that. It is a major advantage of the cyano compared with the polystyren cement, this possibility to unglue the parts with the Remover...

Definitely, Antonio will have played perfectly the role of prickle, as Hannes did for my Fiat 806 build, pushing me to go as close as possible from truth. Thanks for that, Antonio!

So more soon...

• Like 2

Everything has an end, and, even if it is uneasy after all these months, I have to close this thread. I will post a small video of the Missouri on his motorized tray probably tomorrow on the RFI section thread.

Thank you again for watching, supporting and sharing.

Happy modeling to all

Olivier

• Like 2

Olivier,

STUNNING..

loved every syllable of your build and photos and reference material.:clap2:

she turned out real pretty ...IMPECCABLE...

thank you very much for an enthralling captivating MODELING thread.

:mike:

Edited by HOUSTON
  • Thanks 1

Merci beaucoup Christian pour ces éloges qui font bien plaisir! Vu l'endroit où tu vis (Chicago), je ne savais pas que tu étais Français. Connais-tu St Raphaël?

As-tu jeté un oeil à la synthèse (photos et remerciements) dans la section "Ready for inspection"? le cas échéant, je te redonne le lien:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235040410-p-51-d-10-na-missouri-armada-a-faithful-replica-from-the-tamiya-148-kit/&do=findComment&comment=3079068

Cheers

• 1 year later...
On 2/24/2018 at 12:56 AM, Olivier de St Raph said:

This very important chart deserved to get added to our "best of" docs:

fBlCgy.jpg

If I had to apply the base color paint now, my reference would be the RAF Museum Extra Dark Sea Green for the upper. But of course without any certainty to be right. And you?

For the lower surfaces, probably the Medium Sea Grey from the same RAF Museum chart... 

Notice the more red yellow from this chart, compared with the IPMS one.

Olivier,

Could you tell me how this chart was created? How were you able to render the exact colours from the RAF Museum book and Urban's Colour Reference Charts?

Nobby

• 3 years later...

Hello mates. I'm building Tamiya P-51D using Super Scale 48-1177 decal sheet.

Super Scale provides some extra caution decals for 75 gallon drop tanks.

But there is no information where to place them. I really do appreciate for some help.

spacer.png

Edited by cetinsarf