Missouri Armada P-51D Mustang: documents and partial scratch from the Tamiya 1/48 kit

Been following this build blog since the beginning and I must say that you do really nice work . I did notice the landing gear covers are on backwards 

Seven

• Thanks 1

Thanks Seven (and welcome on the thread), Håkan, Hannes and Antonio. There is still a lot to do, but I hope this build will be over in less than 1 month. I wonder if I add a character (the pilot, fe) and if I integrate my Missouri in a scene, what would be a first for me. In that case, it could be longer, of course...

I have improved my doors, that were not weathered enough, and improved the color of the 3rd navigation light, too yellow and not orange enough after check on the docs and on the net:

mR1ieI.jpg

X0djZn.jpg

N.B: I like the bulbs seen by transparency through the clear colors, especially the orange.

P.S: I would love to represent the pilots on this scene (a relaxing time for these heroes...) that has ever been posted on the thread. But I don't think I have the skills for that... A man can dream...

ewiLsk.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for that french translation, Quang. I realize I had not understood Seven’s comment above.

I am not at my bench now, but I am sure you are both right. Which door is mounted upside down ? The internal one?

Thanks anyway for warning me, I will do the correction as soon as possible...

Cheers

Olivier

P.S: I have understood by checking: the outiside doors are mounted in the wrong direction... What was I thinking to do such an error? 🤔

I hope all my errors will avoid the readers, maybe next builders, to do the same ones... 😉

Correction done! I checked to turn black and white my build, for comparison with our great doc. 23 (this kind of merciless comparison will recall some good moments to Hannes 😉).

eChhOZ.jpg

62G1CE.jpg

N.B: as my tail wheel is not yet in place, my Missouri is more tilted than the original. But there are of course many small differences...

I will redo this comparison at the end of my build, this will be still more interesting...

• Like 5

Hi Olivier,

nice to see your fantastic progres as always, lots of hard work my friend!

however I got surprised how the wing dihedral angle came up, it looks like almost no angle, it is also affecting the landing gear angle, I guess trying to fix that won't be  easy task!

Edited by antonio argudo
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, antonio argudo said:

I got surprised how the wing dihedral angle came up, it looks like almost no angle, it is also affecting the landing gear angle, I guess trying to fix that won't be  easy task!

Thanks Antonio and Don for your kind and encouraging comments.

Antonio, about the dihedral angle, I had not noticed that, but this confirms that such comparisons are merciless... I first thought (and hoped...) it could be a wrong perception due to the conditions in which the photos were taken, but, looking at frontal view blueprints on the net, I had to admit that the Tamiya kit is wrong on that point, suggesting horizontal (or nearly so) wings while there is a significant dihedral angle on the real P-51, that gives her this characteristic look we love:

KjNiGg.jpg

9e3pkB.png

If I had known that before, I could have improved this defect of the Tamiya kit, but now, with all the painting and weathering job done, it seems to me just impossible... A bit discouraging, while I had done so much to get a faithful replica...

There is also a problem with the horizontal stabilizers, not parallel with the wings, that won't be easy to solve too...

and maybe a small problem (a bit more easy) of parallelism between the legs. 

Of course, at 1/48 scale, these problems are quite subtle, but if possible, I would like to improve my build before going further.

Any suggestion will be welcome...

Cheers

Olivier

P.S: Antonio, is the dihedral angle O.K on the more recent and very good (if I refer to what I hear about it) 1/32 Tamiya kit?  

• Like 1

This morning, a back pain that happened suddenly (psychologic consequence of the problems raised a bit earlier???) prevented me to do model making.

However, I thought about the dihedral angle question and what I can say is that, if I could go back, I would not use the aftermarket sets for wheel bays, very difficult to fit into the wings and that tend to put them in a wrong horizontal position. Like Squibby, fe, I would recreate the bays by scratch. And I would cut that small notch (see below) to allow the wings bending:

6j2vDx.jpg

Well, too late now for my build, I will have to deal with this wrong angle...

So, a word to the wise!

Olivier

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Olivier de St Raph said:

Correction done! I checked to turn black and white my build, for comparison with our great doc. 23 (this kind of merciless comparison will recall some good moments to Hannes 😉).

eChhOZ.jpg

62G1CE.jpg

N.B: as my tail wheel is not yet in place, my Missouri is more tilted than the original. But there are of course many small differences...

I will redo this comparison at the end of my build, this will be still more interesting...

Outstanding build!!  Is it me or does your wings look flat, hurricane type flat, compared to the v shape of typical P-51s?

• Like 1

this issue with the dihedral angle is quite common in airplane kits,  fortunately kit producers are bringing  wing reinforcement to modern kits,  the method that  works better is the internal reinforcement with plastic strips or metal sometimes too, also bending the tip of the wings while the glueing phase seems to help also, here are some examples

cheers, 

dd.jpg

dddd.jpg

ddd.jpg

ddddd.jpg

5 hours ago, Olivier de St Raph said:

P.S: Antonio, is the dihedral angle O.K on the more recent and very good (if I refer to what I hear about it) 1/32 Tamiya kit?  

yes Olivier, the 1/32 tamiya kit has the correct  dihedral  angle 

cheers

• Like 1

It's a real shame about the dihedral Olivier because you've done such a beautiful  job on the kit. I don't think there s a lot you can do about it short of prising off the wings and removing the wheel wells. You will have to try to take your RFI pictures from the most advantageous angles

I have used an Aires wheel well set on my Mustang 1A but have not yet cemented the wings together so I will check before I go too far.

Please don't give up on it.

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

I have used an Aires wheel well set on my Mustang 1A but have not yet cemented the wings together so I will check before I go too far.

Thanks for these encouraging words, John. If I were you, I would think a lot before using the Aires wheel bay set... 

Remember the problems I had with this set (and Jamie Sovereign too, before me, with the Vector one...) and these spacers I had to add to get a good wing root shape, while the fitting wings/ fuselage was excellent initially with the Tamiya parts... Using these spacers, I didn't realize this would worsen the dihedral angle problem...

2 hours ago, antonio argudo said:

oh man, sorry to hear that,😯 hope you recover ASAP!

Thanks for these kind words, Antonio, it is ever a little better, nothing serious, it will be fine within 2 days, maybe less...

the 1/32 tamiya kit has the correct  dihedral  angle 

Maybe I will build this kit in the future, Antonio...

this issue with the dihedral angle is quite common in airplane kits

I didn't know that, and your tuto is very interesting, thanks for that my friend!

Conclusion: well, you probably figure out my disappointment and my frustration, I will do my best to go on until this build is over. You learn to my depends, as they say, and that's what I did here, and I still have a lot to learn in model making, school of patience and humility, but that must remain a pleasure above all...

24 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

The Tamiya kits are perhaps a little flat on dihedral, but you seem to have lost some more dihedral along the way?

I admit that completely, Jamie, and that's why I said above that using the spacers (my photo 188 on post# 968 p. 39) was not a good idea from that point of view. On the 3rd photo showing the B with the Vector set, you succeeded to keep an acceptable dihedral angle (better than on the first photo, imho), congrats to you for that. 

Yes, galfa, I agree with you, I think the angle is low initially on the Tamiya kit (probably about 1,5° instead of about 3° on the top of the wing) but by using the Aires kit and especially by adding the spacers (what seemed to me necessary for a good fitting wing/ fuselage), this 1,5° has turned to 0°... 

As I said above, imho, it is not a problem to get the right 3° with the Tamiya kit, under condition you don't use the aftermarket sets, and if you increase the angle (see my post# 1136 and the Antonio's one 1139).

Well, I have to turn the page now (not easy...), fixing the 2 other problems is a good thing in that regard:

j1PY6l.jpg

• Like 2

Dear Olivier , I hope you  regained your full health again !  All the best ! Regarding the wings angles : Only a brutal proceeding could alter this situation. :2 deep cuts on the transitions wings -fuselage , correction and adaption works . That´s not easy because your model is very fine elaborated and you must work like a brain surgeon if you want to change the angles . Personally I like your model as it is  and you have every reason to be proud !   Many greetings , dear Olivier !   Hannes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks a lot Hannes, I am fine again.

The altering of the angle would be indeed very hazardous (especially with the Aires wheel bay set inside) and I won’t take such a risk for 3 degrees of angle.

No one had noticed the problem until I made this merciless comparison with the doc 23 (post# 1132).

We have to do compromises sometimes, and to accept that despite our efforts, the result is not perfect. As we say in french, le mieux est l’ennemi du bien (the perfect is the enemy of the good) and I think my build remains, despite this dihedral angle error, a quite faithful replica of the Missouri. If you go this way, the inscription « Missouri Armada » of the Eagle decals is not perfect too, and many other small details so.

My Fiat 806, even being probably until now the most faithful (waiting for yours and for Harvey’s one) replica existing in the world of this old race car, is definitely full of small errors and imperfections.

About the dehidral angle, I just regret not to have known this problem when it was time to do the necessary corrections on the Tamiya kit.

That’s why, in my post# 1136, I explain what I would do if I could go back, for the next builders.

All the best my friend 

Olivier

• Like 3

It's been a very interesting and edutaining build to follow, and it looks fantastic! 

The attention to detail is amazing, and I sure picked up quite a few tips, I can use on my own builds, with a bit of practice! :)

It will look very nice sitting on a shelf, regardless of correct dihedral, or not!

Very well done Olivier! :)

Håkan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1