Missouri Armada P-51D Mustang: documents and partial scratch from the Tamiya 1/48 kit

As usual here on BM, the request for information results in some very interesting photographs. I particularly like the one in post 1098 from Antonio which will be very helpful for my Revell 1/32 Mustang when it gets built ( don't hold your breath ).

John

As usual here on BM, the request for information results in some very interesting photographs. I particularly like the one in post 1098 from Antonio which will be very helpful for my Revell 1/32 Mustang when it gets built ( don't hold your breath ).

John

John

John

• Like 1

j8PSBY.jpg

YcLTXz.jpg

I wonder if the rear of my Missouri is enough worn, especially the horizontal stabilizers. I suppose it had to be much less than the rest of the aircraft, and especially of the wings.

But period pics of this area and experts opinion on that matter would be welcome anyway...

Olivier 

• Like 3

Maybe some of you noticed that, on my photo 235 (post# 1103), one of the svastikas had disappeared. The Eagle decals are good but you have to deal with their low tack, and unhappily, in the handling, the accident happened.

I was wondering if I would have to order another set of Eagle sheet (stupid, just for this small detail), but, happily, the Tamiya decal sheet provided exactly the same size of award (in 2 parts):

TUziA9.jpg

Furthermore, I have begun the painting and weathering job on the exhausts, the next step for my build:

K0KHfq.jpg

• Like 1

The photo below shows that the shock absorber scissors links are hollowed, what is not the case on the Tamiya parts. The Eduard PE parts of the 49 216 set are hollowed but much too thin (always the same problem with the PE...). I have chosen to keep the Tamiya scissors links but to modif them by creating the hollow. I first drilled small holes (0,4 mm Tamiya drill) and then to use the triangular blade trying so to represent them as well as possible.

BPUxm8.jpg

jeEVgw.jpg

Other details must be improved, like this notch:

x7KDHa.jpg

You can't see it on the photo below, but the small holes have been drilled with a 0,3 mm drill:

iwAbY6.jpg

Of course, the improvements on the landing gear legs are not over...

• Like 4

I am still wondering how I will represent the inside part of the internal door closing the wheel bay (see my post# 1052 p. 43).

I have sent a PM to John Terrell but didn't get any reply...

In the doubt, I will certainly choose the version 2, that I prefer esthetically... In this case, I will represent the glossy central part by applying first a gloss black base coat and then a fine coat of Alclad Chrome.

Another doc below. I don't remember if this one has ever been posted in the thread, but I like it very much and it is a good source of inspiration for me, among others:

o9yEZh.png

Here is where I am now:

1FayBk.jpg

N.B: to get this Chrome effect, a gloss black base coat is necessary. A low tack masking tape (Jammydog) was used for the masking steps.

• Like 3

My main gear landing legs are nearly over:

pZHZ48.jpg

Close-up of the Jolie Hélène that inspired me (among other docs):

Ekq1Ik.jpg

WUeT8i.jpg

N.B: my finned wheels could be a bit more Dark Alu, if I refer to the doc 137a... I will probably darken them a little.

• Like 1

Before assembling the landing gear in the bays, some details must be added or improved. It is the case for the night flying navigation lights on the wingtips. Here is a helpful doc. It seems that, if left side, it is full clear red, it may be blue or green on the right side, and only partially clear:

bvp7KQ.png

Any further color doc will be warmly welcome, of course...

Cheers

Olivier

• Like 1

I also found this in my net researchs:

1DtSk5.jpg

Like on the photo I posted above, the blue bulb is in fact round, and the rest of the part is alu, with a screw on top. 

On the elger close-up, it is difficult to say if it is the same, the reflection gives the feeling that the posterior part is more likely  blue than alu...

But why, on the other wingtip, is full red? I admit things remain unclear for me on that matter.

Could someone enlighten me (well, that fits...)?

P.S: on the Butch Baby and on the Muddy, both of the 357th F.G, the starboard light are "full Clear Dark Green":

L5YioJ.jpg

oFMrXH.jpg

P.S 2: I have checked, on the very faithful Sierra Sue II, we have "full" Red (L) and Green (R) lights.

Well, I have to decide, I think that, one more time, it won't be possible to be sure, but I will represent my lights like that on my Missouri Armada.

More soon...

• Like 1