Missouri Armada P-51D Mustang: documents and partial scratch from the Tamiya 1/48 kit

We have at least 2 versions of the internal landing gear door in our library, and I wonder which one is correct for a 10-NA like the Missouri (unless it is a third version):

Version 1: 

3zufu3.jpg

Version 2:

36MAMv.jpg

If our experts could help me, I would appreciate very much...

Olivier

PRZyRE.jpg

hUcBvs.jpg

N.B: a moment after this coat, I have applied the X22 Tamiya gloss varnish thinned with X-20A on the area where I will apply the "Missouri Armada" decal, for a more glossy surface. Indeed, it is impossible to eliminate the clear film of the decal on such a decal, and only a bright surface will avoid this clear film to be visible. Of course, once the decal is completely dry, a new coat of Marabu varnish will be applied for the satin final look I want...

• Like 3

I have another question in addition to the one I asked in my post# 1052 above (to which I hope I will get answers...): if I am right (not 100% sure), there should be a weld line on the exhaust for an early version like the Missouri (I don't remember where I saw that, in the thread or somewhere else). A confirmation would be welcome...

I deeply regret that John Terrell, whose contribution has been huge, has left the boat. I hope he feels fine...

In the doubt, I will represent the weld line as on the P-51 below:

s3ppvH.jpg

A new update for my build: 

- the "subtle" weathering on the inscription "Missouri Armada" has been done with Vallejo Burnt Umber thinned with water and a new coat of Marabu Gloss varnish (giving I recall a satin look when thinned with X-20) has been airbrushed. 

- I have added a second decal, the US star on the left wing. The decal was cut with care to avoid the clear portion, but here, the main problem was that there was a big relief. I have chosen to cut the decal with a blade and to paint with a mix of Vallejo Flat Blue 962 and Black the portion cut.

- I thought that my rivets were not visible enough. I took a chance to use my Rosie Riveter on the varnished Dark Green of the wings, and now, they are more visible (the problem is that it enhances too the defects... 😄). Despite these small riveting defects, I prefer them like that.

- finally, I have applied the X-22 Clear varnish thinned with X-20 A (for a glossy finish) in all areas that will receive decals with clear portions impossible to eliminate. In fact, it is the case for most of them, especially all the very small ones with inscriptions... Now, I have to wait at least 6 hours before applying decals on these areas.

U89LwB.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks a lot galfa, but most of the artistic and technical ideas you can see here are not mine but learnt from Juan Manuel Villalba.

I have no interest at all in the sale of this gorgeous and fascinating DVD he made but I highly recommend it to any modeler who would like to build a camouflaged P-51 D of the 357th, especially the Missouri Armada, of course... His tutos on YouTube are great too, and with always an exceptional quality of photos and videos.

Thanks Antonio! yes, I have a lot of fun with this build (it always seems to me the last build is the most enjoyable...). I hope you will soon find the time - I know you are very busy actually - to go back to your workbench for an amazing 1/32 version. When we see what you ever did with the cockpit and pilot, we may just imagine...

Oh! I was persuaded (I don't know why) that the bottom US star insign was on the right wing, and I was very surprised to see that Eagle shows it on the left one. I have checked on our docs (bottom views) and indeed, it is on the same side than the up one (I thought they were diagonally placed)...

Wef4D4.jpg

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, quangster said:

Actually the insignia is on the bottom (under) of the right wing

Dear Quang,

It hardly seems that it was on the bottom of the left wing, near the 3 navigation lights, at least for the Mustangs of the 8th Army (I see Tamiya places it there too)...

KndliL.jpg

23 hours ago, Olivier de St Raph said:

I have another question in addition to the one I asked in my post# 1052 above (to which I hope I will get answers...): if I am right (not 100% sure), there should be a weld line on the exhaust for an early version like the Missouri (I don't remember where I saw that, in the thread or somewhere else). A confirmation would be welcome...

Hi Olivier

From a P-51D-5-NA

S98Zd9Q.jpg

Cheers,

Laurent

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, silberpferd said:

From a P-51D-5-NA

We are used to remove the molding lines on the parts of our kits. And of course, that's what I did when I prepared the exhausts 21 and 22 (see my post# 300 on p. 12). But here, I shouldn't because these molding lines would have very well represented the discrete weld lines... As I don't want to redo the hollowing job on new exhausts (I could, as I have the 2nd kit as supply), I will probably use a very thin wire (about 0,2 mm, tin or titane) glued on the exhausts...

Thanks anyway Laurent...

Olivier

On 5/31/2018 at 5:48 AM, Olivier de St Raph said:

RwVGf2.jpg

sorry Olivier, nothing to do with Missouri but this picture by Laurent is very interesting, looks like the underwings have been given a new layer of silver paint (in clear color), even in partial  areas well known to be left in bare aluminium like flaps,  fuel tanks  panels and  landing gear,  interesting as well the navigation lights and insignia  area, looks like a quick field spray  without mask or tape!!!

cheers

Edited by antonio argudo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Olivier de St Raph said:

Dear Quang,

It hardly seems that it was on the bottom of the left wing, near the 3 navigation lights, at least for the Mustangs of the 8th Army (I see Tamiya places it there too)...

KndliL.jpg

Dear Olivier,

It appears to be on the left when you’re looking from under the plane but actually it’s the right (starboard) wing to the pilot. Just like when you’re standing face to face with someone, his right arm is on your left.

Likewise on your photo the three IFF (not navigation) lights are located UNDER the right wing.

Edited by quangster
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, quangster said:

Dear Olivier,

It appears to be on the left when you’re looking from under the plane but actually it’s the right (starboard) wing to the pilot. Just like when you’re standing face to face with someone, his right arm is on your left.

Likewise on your photo the three IFF (not navigation) lights are located UNDER the right wing.

Sorry Quang, you are right, of course! and it is indeed situated diagonally compared with the up one. I can say stupid things, sometimes!! 🙄

Cheers

Olivier

E5vFRs.jpg

Even tracing before the panel line with the blade, the paintbrush tracing of that straight line is very delicate, especially for long lines. Happily, another fine paintbrush (or a superfine Microbrush) dipped in alcohol will allow the necessary corrections...

VRszq2.jpg

• Like 3