Curtiss J4N in RFC service.....

mackem01

The short answer is no but as both 24 and 25 sqns were active on the Western Front by April 1916 I would think it most likely that any Jennies would be JN-3 types. According to Kenneth Munson, Fighters,Attack and Training Aircraft, 1914-19, ninety seven were delivered to the RNAS. Presumably some were transferred to the RFC. The next version used by the British was the JN-4Can(UK), namely the Canuk. Of 180 received by the RNAS one hundred were transferred to the RFC. No mention of serial numbers.

I have an old copy of Robertson's British Military Serials 1910-1965 and it readily lists the transfered machines but doesn't give any squadron allocations.

Were there any major differences between the Curtiss built JN-4 and the Canadian version? I would suspect the engine fit and minor differences to the

wings although I'm probably wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to recall in Elliott White Springs book that a friend of his was killed at Training Depot Stamford flying a Jenny. I've got a wing strut end fitting off one in my cabinet behind me.

The UK type was a JN-4A and was used by No.1 Training Depot Station Stamford and  Reserve Training Sqn's 11, 16, 17, and 42

John

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sturtivant and Page's RN Aircraft Serials and Units stipulates the following serials for J.N.4s; 3424 to 3444, 8802 to 8901. Out of the latter, 8881 to 8900 were retained in store in the USA, and 8901 went to the RFC. N5660 to N5709 were J.N.4 (Improved) and were allocated but not delivered. It appears all the RNAS J.N.4s were built in Canada. The RNAS also received Curtiss J.N.3s.