F4H-1 Phantom Prototype Brigade Models

Rhino

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2018 at 10:08 AM, Tailspin Turtle said:

Does anyone know if there is a definite release date? This conversion was mentioned over at beyondthesprues on April 28, 2017; that's over 1 1/2 years ago. I missed the Cutting Edge release, so I definitely want this conversion. Will a nice decal sheet be included? Look forward to it!

Edited by Hobo

The set was officially released at Telford in November. I was told there had been an issue with the mould for the one piece nose assembly becoming damaged so only a few were available. I was lucky enough to get one and because of the limited supply Brigade Models were taking deposits for orders to be sent on once the problem was fixed. Since I was originally after two sets I filled in the form and yesterday a small package arrrived with a Kent postmark containing my second one! I would imagine Kevin is busy posting out the Telford backlog and Hannants will receive their stock soon. I wouldn't be surprised if it appears in the New Arrivals section sometime this week,

I understand the biggest delay was caused by the canopy. I believe the original plan was to have it in clear resin but this proved problematic to produce so it's now a vacform. The rest of the set is just as seen in Ted's pictures although only one McDonnell seat is included. The missing arrestor hook fairing has been added though. The decals are for 142259 as it appears during the first flight. They are printed by Cartograf so should present no problems in application. The only issue is that the wing insignia are the same size as the fuselage ones (should be 45 inches instead of 30 inches as supplied) so you'll have to source the correct ones to be absolutely accurate. It looks like a great conversion set and will add a very significant aircraft to your Phantom Phamily.

HTH,

Jonathan

• Like 2

10 hours ago, XV571 said:

The set was officially released at Telford in November. I was told there had been an issue with the mould for the one piece nose assembly becoming damaged so only a few were available. I was lucky enough to get one and because of the limited supply Brigade Models were taking deposits for orders to be sent on once the problem was fixed. Since I was originally after two sets I filled in the form and yesterday a small package arrrived with a Kent postmark containing my second one! I would imagine Kevin is busy posting out the Telford backlog and Hannants will receive their stock soon. I wouldn't be surprised if it appears in the New Arrivals section sometime this week,

I understand the biggest delay was caused by the canopy. I believe the original plan was to have it in clear resin but this proved problematic to produce so it's now a vacform. The rest of the set is just as seen in Ted's pictures although only one McDonnell seat is included. The missing arrestor hook fairing has been added though. The decals are for 142259 as it appears during the first flight. They are printed by Cartograf so should present no problems in application. The only issue is that the wing insignia are the same size as the fuselage ones (should be 45 inches instead of 30 inches as supplied) so you'll have to source the correct ones to be absolutely accurate. It looks like a great conversion set and will add a very significant aircraft to your Phantom Phamily.

HTH,

Jonathan

Hello Jonathan,

Thank you very much for the update. It sounds like an excellent set. I'm glad the canopies will be vacuformed. By the way, a new Ginter series book on the F4H-1 by Tommy Thomason will be released this month. Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

l got an 1/72 version of this from DB Models. This one and the one l have got one problem l see. That perforated airbrakes look too thick for my likings and should be PE which would give you scale effect but that is just my observation. 

Hacker

35 minutes ago, hacker said:

l got an 1/72 version of this from DB Models. This one and the one l have got one problem l see. That perforated airbrakes look too thick for my likings and should be PE which would give you scale effect but that is just my observation. 

Hacker

Not easy to find a DB set nowadays - I only saw it once on the bay. And missed it!!!! Arrggghhhh. Went to a new happy owner for about 7 Pounds... 😞

Would like to do a record setting Sagburner one day - does Brigade plan other sets as well? Like Sageburner????

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/18/2017 at 7:13 AM, Rhino said:

Hello Phantom Phans.

This WIP is for the forthcoming Brigade Models conversion set for Academys F-4B into the prototype F4H-1. I have obtained from Kevin a pre production test shot of the mouldings as seen at SMW this year. This does not include canopies or decals as they are not ready yet.

Availability of the set should be March next year. Kevin has agreed to add a second seat so later small radome aircraft can be built. Any changes for this will be up to the modeller, as the main purpose here is for a first flight aircraft.

Also, there are no instructions (I suspect I may be writing them now).

Onto what you will get. This first picture shows what you get. This first pic shows the parts, except for canopy, decals, and the pitot probe, which I do have.

IMG_2826_zpsxu7hb7vz.jpg

This pic shows where to cut on the wings (for the perforated airbrakes) and the fuselage.

IMG_2827_zps6ug0trzb.jpg

Close up of the wing where the airbrake goes. Note that either the wing can be cut, or alternatively, the resin part could be used as a master to drill your own holes in the wing.

IMG_2829_zpsmscmzopa.jpg

Here is a close up of the fuselage cut point.

IMG_2830_zpsxp6kmwob.jpg

And the cut made.

IMG_2832_zpsomhtyypl.jpg

Another part that needs cutting is the forward under fuselage (part F40)

IMG_2834_zpsfenvlc8i.jpg

The resin intakes and the kit trunking is being joined. Some fettling may be required for a perfect fit.

IMG_2835_zpsntlbbmal.jpg

Airbrakes being sorted.

IMG_2837_zpsftuchg8b.jpg

Airbrakes fitted. Note that the gap is my fault, not the kits (my cutting skills still need work).

IMG_2838_zps1lyyhcls.jpg

First look at the front fuselage. The black parts are kit parts. They mate to the resin perfectly.

IMG_2842_zpsmu3r2gdz.jpg

That is all for this introductory part.

Ted

Are there any updates? Thank you.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2019 at 5:54 PM, Caerbannog said:

Would like to do a record setting Sagburner one day - does Brigade plan other sets as well? Like Sageburner????

Many years ago I had started to build 1/72 Sageburner. I did all decal artwork and also some progress on front fuselage and canopy reshaping but due to relocation the project was stopped and after then forgotten in the new basement.

Maybe I should relaunch this project after completing my ongoing Flanker and Blackbird projects...

Serkan

• Like 1