Status of FirePower?

gamevender

The collection is now in storage at a base near Salisbury I,m not sure which one 

Its not open to the public now but will hopefully be part of Salisbury Plain Heritage Centre

The buildings are to turned into theaters and dance studios in Greenwich

I had heard that a new museum would be created at Larkhill to open in a couple of years' time, but maybe this is conflated with the Plains Heritage story.  The exhibits will need to be conserved in the meantime whatever happens.  I had also heard that some exhibits would be going to Bovington, which makes less sense unless there is a historic link - as with the couple of artillery pieces they do have.

In the current financial climate, Corps and Regimental ownership or sponsorship of museums is becoming pretty much impossible, especially where capital investment is needed.  Stand-alone charitable enterprises or arrangements with third parties are likely to be the way of the future.  Bovington perhaps set the model for that.  (Some sponsorship from BAES would be nice, as the ultimate owners of many of the companies who historically made artillery in this country and the last surviving artillery factory at Barrow before its closure.  We can't even make mortar barrels now.  Criminally sad, but an entirely other discussion.)

The most logical new home would be to donate the collection to the existing Royal Armouries artillery museum at Fort Nelson on the Portsdown Hills above Portsmouth.  That is well worth a visit anyway, if you haven't been.  Areas of the Victorian fort, one of Palmerston's Follies, are restored in addition the the artillery collection.  The precedent was set may years ago when the MOD Pattern Room collection, while not a museum as such, was donated to Royal Armouries and moved from RO Nottingham to the new National Firearms Centre at Leeds where much of it is finally on public display.

I'm sure that IWM and NAM would be in the market if the collection is to be broken up.  On the other hand, if a completely new artillery museum is to be created maybe they would consider loaning some of their exhibits to it.  Green Mace makes a centrepiece statement ..........

• 2 weeks later...

i've been to Ft. Nelson and agree it is well worth the visit. However, they seem to have more than enough to handle as it is with many exhibits, some still needing restoration, housed in tents or sitting outside. It probably is the most logical place for the Firepower collection, so therefore will never be selected. 

not or sure if this helps? This structure is being built at Larkhill, it's the first structure to be built on land that is going to be used in an uplift of accommodation. There is also a lot of historical artillery pieces at the knighting down end of the camp, FH 70's, lance missile launchers and a tracked rapier to name a few.

image.jpg

possable musem structure?