PK176 Char B and Renault FT17 AFV's

TonyW

Another for the GB, the Matchbox Char B1 bis and Reanault FT17 diorama kit.

IMG_2663.jpg

IMG_2656.jpg

Matchbox certainly had a hit on their hands with the ingenious idea of adding mini dioramas to their AFV range. I built loads of them in the seventies. i didn't get to have a go at this particular set though. Time to rectify that omission!

A start has been made. Some of the parts are tiny. It's amazing the amount of detail crammed into such little kits. I'm enjoying things so far, assembly completed in a couple of evenings, undercoats on, a bit of filling and rubbing down next in line.

IMG_2660.jpg

IMG_2662.jpg

Right, I'm off into the garden to find a bit of brick to grind up. A bit of dirt and sand would help things along as well. Get me, gardening at the weekend. How very suburban.

Tony.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 12

My gardening efforts provided a bit of debris for the road section, plus a few bits of scenic materials added for good measure got me to here...

IMG_2666.jpg

Very enjoyable. The foliage should help unify the cammo colours on the tanks. more later...

Tony.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 11

These two kits would appear to be the first of Matchbox’s Orange Armour range to be entered into this GB - so well done Tony. 

I should’nt be surprised that we are seeing more aircraft than anything else, however these Armour models and bases, especially the duel builds in this Orange range are really quite unique and are an excellent example of what made Matchbox kits stand out in their day. 

It’ll be great to see a few others (as mentioned above) make it on here for they all deserve to be built and displayed. 

Cheers... Dave

I got a bit more done on the base.

I thought the vehicles looked a bit crammed in on the base, everything looked a bit claustrophobic somehow. My solution was to add a strip of plasticard between the back of the base and the wall section. I then packed that area with miliput and then added scenic stuff to disguise the addition. Everything still looks the same but the vehicles and three bods have a bit of breathing space now.

IMG_2667.jpg

IMG_2668.jpg

IMG_2672.jpg

Next up, a bit of cammo on the tanks, followed by a spot of wear and tear. 

This one is coming together rather smoothly. I have a PzIII and a Humber Armoured Car that may well get started for the build.

I'm starting to regret selling off the bulk of my Matchbox collection.

Tony.

• Like 10

Annnnd coming round the bend, he's on the home straight,

IMG_2677.jpg

Blimey, the end is in sight!

Camouflage paint applied in colours that looked about right to me. The cammo colours looked like something by Claris Cliff when they went on. I've dusted them right down to the point I'm now happy enough with them. Black lining was done with a fine tip felt pen, still way too thick for a proper replica but close enough for Government work.

Both tanks have had powdered real rust brushed over the tracks and hulls, plus a load stuck to fresh paint on the Char exhaust. The rust was scraped off a real 1932 Ford front fender, so it's nearly period stuff.

There's a few washes and dry brushings to be done yet and the three soldiers plus tank commander to paint. The road surface might get a drop of tea applied to bring the colour slightly closer to the tanks, we shall see.

It's whole lot closer to being done than it was a week ago.

Tony.

• Like 11

There's a whole heap of ingenious products being applied to these models Tony - it sounds as if both Eduard and MIG could set up shop in your backyard and still make a handy profit! 

Loving the look of these two and also the old school approach to weathering. 

Cheers .. Dave

23 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

There's a whole heap of ingenious products being applied to these models Tony - it sounds as if both Eduard and MIG could set up shop in your backyard and still make a handy profit! 

Loving the look of these two and also the old school approach to weathering. 

Cheers .. Dave

Old School is about right Dave, the Verlinden Way is high tech to me!

Tony.

Just gone eleven, time to quit for today. A pleasant evenings work that's got me to here...

IMG_2717.jpg

The road section got toned down a bit and looks much better at this end. The model has very bright, rich colours to it and looks a bit cartoony. Not necessarily a bad thing in my book. This picture has a bit of flash used as well as my desklamp turned sideways on it. The other pictures from today have no flash used.

Tomorrow I'll shoot a few pictures outdoors , if the weather co-operates, to see if things quieten down in natural light.

More tomorrow with a bit of luck.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm calling this one done now.

It's been a steep learning curve for me. All kinds of flaws are shouting out at me, although I'll forgive myself as it's the first AFV build I've done for years. The PzIII that followed this one has turned out better in my opinion, so I'm going in the right direction.

A surprisingly difficult model to photograph, I tried all sorts of lighting settups and camera angles and lenses. None have worked to my satisfaction, the pictures just don't look like the model sat on my bench. Fortunately, there's only a couple of obvious viewing angles for it so there's not really too many that needed taking.

Here's a cropped and tidied up shot from the series shot below.

IMG_2902.jpg

IMG_2911.jpg

IMG_2914.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...